GL1800Riders Forums banner

Isle of man

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Rocketman911 
#1 ·
The Isle of Man starts airing 7/30 @ 10am CT on Discovery HDTheater. Set your DVR's

:thumbup:

#2 ·
Is this new stuff, or the same old set they have been running for nearly 2 years?

#4 ·
niiiiiice... *setting the dvr*

#6 ·
I have been following the IOM races since 1966. Back when they had 50cc, 125cc, 250cc, 350cc, and 500cc classes. They were all very exotic machines back then. Some of the little 50cc bikes were twins with 14 speed gearboxes. Honda had a 125cc DOHC four valve five cylinder that would turn over 20,000 rpm. All this through (if memory serves) a ten speed box. Man- the music that little bike made when running through the gears!

The riders all wore little "pudding bowl" helmets and thin leathers back then too. Skinny little tires on alloy wheels that wore drum brakes hooked to suspension that had maybe three inches of travel. Then men that rode those wicked little bikes has some serious cojones back in those days.

I used to have a 33 1/3 LP of the IOM races that I would play over and over listening to all the exciting machinery of the day. I wish that I still had it or better yet could find it on CD. You just aint lived unless you have heard the sounds of Mike Hailwood slamming through the gears on a six cylinder Honda 250!

#7 ·
#9 ·
Has anyone

noticed the lack of interest about cycle racing on this board. With all the super peg draggers here, one would think racing would be a big topic of conversation.
By the way, thanks for the head up about the IOM races.

#12 ·
#13 ·
You just aint lived unless you have heard the sounds of Mike Hailwood slamming through the gears on a six cylinder Honda 250!

Team Obsolete had their 250/6 at AHRMA Daytona about 12 years ago. Jim Redmond (may have been Grand Marshall that year) did a few laps on bike. Regardless of where you were on the track the bike was never out of earshot. Certainly unique and unforgettable but not really a pleasant sound.
Those were the glory years for vintage racing. The infield was nearly filled with fans and their unique bikes. Now you can count the fans that attend.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.