GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added the Iso grips to my wing.

Not sure if the throttle side always had a little end play or if I just now notice it after installing the iso-grips.
It's not very much end play, just enough to be annoying.

Yesterday I took an R23 size O-ring and shaved about 1/3 off of it.
Then I slipped it over the iso-grip and up against the switch housing.
Once you stretch it, to get it past the wide end of the iso-grip, it disappears out of sight between the grip and the switch housing.

Now, no more end play and the little gap between the iso-grip and the switch housing is not visible.
The throttle does not bind (it did before I shaved about a 1/3 off the O-ring).

it's the little things ...

Dennis

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
How in the world did you shave off an o-ring? I have alot of end play in mine as well. Might try this.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toyo said:
How in the world did you shave off an o-ring? I have a lot of end play in mine as well. Might try this.
Thanks
Just used a new blade in a drywall (aka carpet) knife.
Already had a box of several hundred O-rings from HF (cost about $7.00 for the whole box ... comes in handy for lots of stuff but I probably wouldn't use them for anything serious).

Lay the o-ring flat on a table and then "shave" a nice little circle off the top.
You'll wind up with an O-ring that is round on one side and flat on the shaved side.
It's a lot easier than it sounds.

First time I tried shaving both sides ... it worked ok but came out too thin and I still had some end play.

I coated the o-ring before installing with some Dow DC4 silicone and everything is smooth and tight.

Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts