GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: I'd like a larger diameter grip and have used ISO grips in the past on other bikes and like them. I see Kuryakyn has an ISO Grip (covers) for the Goldwing heated grips available. Has anyone tried them and are the heated grips still felt at all?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have them and they work great...It Does take a little more time for them to heat up though as it has to heat the outer grip too, but I have found them to work fine and love them.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I got them also............definitely not as much heat as just using the OEM grips but it works fine. If it's really cold there is nothing better than the Gerbings gloves anyway.
The bigger diameter of the clam-shell works out great IMHO. At first it seems huge but after using it a bit it's really nice.
The small OEM heated grips are worthless...........way to small and your hand starts cramping on long trips.

Note: I have an average sized hand (use a Mens Large sized glove).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Clam Shell Grips

I have them on my 06 takes a while longer with than without. Looks great with the wt. and the gold rings. I would buy them again just for the feel no more arm pain.

Sonney

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Clam Shells

They would not be as good for a person with short fingers and/or a small hand. They increase the diameter of the grip quit a bite. But I really like mine.

I could not tell any difference in the amount of heat ... but on a cold day, (around freezing temps) mine take about 15 to 20 minutes to get warm.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also note that they are designed for the longer heated grips that came out some years after the ones on my '01.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Grip puppies

Try grip puppies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Read my post with pictures about the ISO clam shell grips over the stock grips.. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198298

Note:
The newer version have a single rubber element,instead of the old design of single rubber pieces that would pop out from the chrome metal housing..
Thanks. The pictures were great info and the comment from the Harley guy putting the Iso Grips on his Goldwing was exactly my case.
(Funny I didn't see this when I searched for that subject. Oh, well.)
Thanks again.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i rate them as most likely the worst thing i ever put on a bike

they are much larger than a normal iso grip

they loose lots of heating power

and of course the rubber things constantly are out of place

i also used the grip puppies and did not like the feel of them at all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts