GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all you Wingers with the ISO grips, can any of you tell a difference in the vibration without the dampers in place? :?:

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
I don't know I have the ISOs and would need to do a side by side comparison with and without those bar dampeners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not noticed any difference.

Like you I worried about it, so before I installed them on for good I took a ride with the stock grips and the weights attached. Then I removed the weights and stock grips, installed the ISO's and took another ride.

The ISO grips feel much better to me than the stock grips. IMHO...
(I also put EC heaters on at the same time. Good stuff!)

Russell

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
lasher said:
OK all you Wingers with the ISO grips, can any of you tell a difference in the vibration without the dampers in place? :?:
I can't tell any difference with or without them.

Dennis

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I installed and enjoy my ISO's.
I also feel a lot less vibration from the front end than with the stock hard grips.

My bars are still as steady as they were without those bar weights on.

I also added the chrome wide levers.Big difference in finger comfort as well..The stock levers felt like pencils to my finger tips.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here. I put reg adjustable risers on my 06 and had the ISO grips, the vibration got so bad I took them back off and put the stock grips with the end weights back on, vibration went away...

just that little extra weight was enough to dampen the feelings, I'll keep the end weights myself..

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I had Iso-grips on my 02 and they had nice chrome bar end weights.
So you can have both.
I personally like having the bar end weights sticking out there
as they act as a secondary lean sensor along with the ones
on the bottoms of the footpegs. It you start to drag those bar end weights,
it's a definite indication that you are leaning too far. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
171 Posts
I put the Iso grips on my trike, and for sure the heavier weight of these grips makes up for any loss of the Honda weights. And besides, I doubt if anyone can honestly tell the difference anyhow.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
05wingrider said:
No difference....Except now the weights don't try and fall off.If one of those would hit a rider behind you it would kill em"!
I had my ISO grips powder coated black to match the bars.
05 your grips look nice

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put mine on yesterday but have not had a chance to ride yet...would probably have a huge amount of vibration from hitting the pavement with the 2 inches of sleet on the road around here. :no:

I would like to see that lean Dream.....guess you could take the end caps off the ISOs and use the weights, but don't think that would look so hot.

Like those black ones Laen, Kury might take a clew from that. Would look good on my black bike too. :p

Thanks for the feed guys, don't think vibration will be too much of an issue on the Wing anyway, but you never know. :yes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the ISO grips and feel no difference in vibration. I don't miss having to tighten the bar end weights over and over to keep from losing one or both, which has happened. I do like the size of the grips compared to the stock grips.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Fuzzy said:
I modiifed the Kury grips so the bar end weights could be installed with them. Using the bar end weight for a reference point helps with throttle control at low speed. Besides somebody thought they needed to be there or Honda wouldn't have spent the money to put them on.

While I agree that Honda did put the bar ends for a reason,I have to ask why though??

Was it to help with the wobble issue that some bikes (Not all) suffer from?

I know of four other guys who also don't have this wobble issue on different year(s) 1800's,and we all have put on ISO grips,and still have no shake from the bars at any speeds.

Although I didn't bother to weigh my stock heated grips and bar ends when I removed them ,to compare them to the ISO's weight..But I think it's safe to say that the ISO's are lighter just for the loss of the bar ends..

So the question is."Why are the ends needed" if no difference is felt when the stock grips/ends are replaced with the ISO's?

Does anyone know this answer?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I first noticed the dreaded shimmy after I installed the Iso grips. I went back and got the stilletto ends. This didn't get rid of the shimmy but it helped. After putting in "all balls' the problem disappeared and the bike handles even better than before

1 - 20 of 20 Posts