GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I will say I was a fan of the modular helmets out of pure convienence for the last few years. That was until Wed. when my HJC Symax II fell off of my seat and the chin bar broke right off. See that I got to see how all of the fasteners were very cheap plastic. A modular is no safer than a 3/4 helmet. That's fine it that is all you are looking for, I knew it wasn't as good as a full face, I just didn't think that the chin bar was totally worthless. That night I went out and replaced it with a full face. No more modular helmets for me.

I did like how my old Schueberth had all metal fasteners. In the end though as I get older I get more and more safty concious.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hjc

Bought my son a new ISMax by HJC for Christmas, he went down hard on Memorial Day. Helmet damage shown on top, both sides and the face shield but it still functions properly, chin bar/flip front continues to work with no issue. Insurance replaced the helmet and he choose the new Bell Revolver (which I'm impressed with as well) but the HJC did it job.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
wouldn't you know it. That's what I've been wearing this summer. Guess I'll have to take another look at Schuberth C3

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Bought my son a new ISMax by HJC for Christmas, he went down hard on Memorial Day. Helmet damage shown on top, both sides and the face shield but it still functions properly, chin bar/flip front continues to work with no issue. Insurance replaced the helmet and he choose the new Bell Revolver (which I'm impressed with as well) but the HJC did it job.
Guess I need to change the claim of "totally worthless" If it saved his bacon can't be totally worthless then. I'm glad it worked for him, very glad.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Kind of shocked by the response from HJC. I've had great luck with HJC helmets over the years. Still using a SysMax and plan to get a new IS-Max later this year.

Will be interesting to see if they provide a new response with the posting on WebBikeWorld.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
On a trike I wear a 3/4 helmet. However anytime or when its cold, I put on my Shoie RF 1100 full face.

I went down after hitting a deer at 70 MPH while wearing a Shoei Full Face RF 1000. Helmet was damaged, but my face and head were totally protected.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The IS-Max is a totally different helmet than it's brother the Sy-max II.

Good to hear it did it's job to protect you boy.:bow:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
The IS-Max is a totally different helmet than it's brother the Sy-max II.

Good to hear it did it's job to protect you boy.:bow:
Which one do you consider is better and how is it different?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
On a trike I wear a 3/4 helmet. However anytime or when its cold, I put on my Shoie RF 1100 full face.

I went down after hitting a deer at 70 MPH while wearing a Shoei Full Face RF 1000. Helmet was damaged, but my face and head were totally protected.
Jeez....now that is a ringing endorsment for a full face helmet.

Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Funny that the article never mentioned if he thoroughly checked out the Symax after the II failed on him.

FUSE: was the chin bar latched when it fell and failed?
No it wasn't. And seeing the hardware I have ZERO confidence in the chin bar for a crash. It just needs to be hit a certain way and that plastic will snap. What are those exact conditions? I have no clue and don't care to test it to find out. That's fine if you are happy with three quarter helmet protection. It is not like a full face. IMO, it's like a mix.

It gives you 3/4 helm protection in a crash, full face helm protection in weather. A mix between the two for noise. I now will only wear a full face 95% of the time. On some parade type rides I'll still throw on my half helm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts