GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I am one of those that is around quite a bit but does not say much. I had read all the talk about all-balls and the infamous wobble. I also followed all the tire topics. My thought was that I would just keep my hands on the bars and enjoy this great machine that we all ride. I have also always used Dunlop’s. The last two sets were E3’s

Just before our last trip to Wisconsin something came over me and I decided to get the all-balls and a new set of stones. Now, I just felt that I had to share with you the way the bike feels because it’s so much different. The best way I have of describing the difference is to say that it is like the difference between having power steering and not having power steering. The first hundred miles or so it felt like the front end was just way to loose. The ease with which I could turn corners with very little counter steer was kind of spooky. As I piled on the miles it (or me) just got better. The wobble is gone (although I could have lived with that I ride with both hands on the bars) and for now the tire noise is gone. I would suspect that I will get some tire noise in a few 1000 miles (maybe not) but I can live with that…… WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Just thought I would share

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'll consider those All Balls Bearings someday. I'll have to watch Fred's
DVDs & see what I think on the install.

Hey, I grew up in Champaign-Urbana, and there were no mountians like
that in your avaitor. Amazing what a few miles does.

Herb

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Changing from an old set of tires to a new set of tires is one of the most dramatic "feeling" things that happens on a bike. Things naturally feel much smoother and better. Changing the bearings without changing the tires would be more tell-tale regarding how tapered or round bearings affect change in handling.

Let us know if the wobble returns when the tires get close to 4K on them. My personal experience has shown that the mild cupping that is unavoidable on tires has more to do with decel wobble than anything. But that has just been my experience. I like the singing through the tight curves, though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is nothing quite like the feel of new tires. The last new avon venom r tires I put on my Valk just about tipped me over the first time I went to lean into a turn. The avons are crowned a little steeper than most. I just love that feel. I have a new set sitting here to go on the new wing. The way the front looks at 7500 miles, it won't be much longer for it. The rear is holding up nicely. This will be the first time a front has worn out before a rear for me. I must admit that I can drive the wing without the throttle wide open. I can't help but hot rod the valkyrie however. Must be the sound or something. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I tried OEM Dunlops then the E3's but I'm with you BigD on the Bridgestones.
They have a more triangular profile than the Dunlops so they fall in easier, but I really like the way thay feel when planted in the corners.[/i]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I agree with what some of you have said about the feeling when you first put on a new set of tires. I noticed that on my last set of new E3’s. But IMHO this is different. The front end is just very smooth, more than it has ever been when I previously changed tires. Oh well, I guess only time will tell....

g1nomad said:
Hey, I grew up in Champaign-Urbana, and there were no mountians like
that in your avaitor. Amazing what a few miles does.

Herb
Yes, that was in BC last year, and other than western Colorado, that is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Here are a couple of other pics...

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I keep reading about the "wobble" problem but have never experienced it (or have and didn't notice it). I've had three GL1800's, each of which was purchased used. I find it hard to believe that each time I've bought one with some modification already done.

Is this a problem on only some GL1800's? Does it vary by year or anything?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gary in Indiana said:
I keep reading about the "wobble" problem but have never experienced it (or have and didn't notice it). I've had three GL1800's, each of which was purchased used. I find it hard to believe that each time I've bought one with some modification already done.

Is this a problem on only some GL1800's? Does it vary by year or anything?
It has been a "problem" since the first 1800. Some worse than others. It has been most noticeable at lower speeds 30 to 40 MPH. I could even notice it slightly on my 04 with both hands on the bars at around 60 MPH. Just before I changed to all-balls I actually removed my hands form the bars for a few seconds and that was the first and the last time. Often on the interstate just eating up miles I will rest my left arm on my lap due to a shoulder injury and it was at this point that I first began to notice the infamous wobble. Some say to just keep both hands on the bars and most of us do. You can read for hours using the search feature and you will get many different opinions. There is even a class action law suit against Honda where you can line up to get your $1.79 cents. I just feel better now knowing that mine does not wobble. We will see what happens when my new stones begin to wear.

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Thanks, Dick. Maybe I don't notice it because the only time I take a hand off a grip is well over 40mph. My bad shoulder is on my right side so I have to be at speed and have the cruise set. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the Alls Balls, Steering Head Bearings installed about a month ago. The "loose front end" felt during a tight u-turn is gone! Now, I would describe it as a "positive steering" feel, where power steering is a loose feel of the handle bars, IMHO. Before the installation, I would "fight the handle bars" by jerking them left and right all the way through tight u-turn maneuvers in very dangerous traffic!

In any case, I think I would have dropped the wing on several occasions since adding a co-rider recently!! Sure was a timely improvement. Not cheap, but worth the cost to add an extra measure of safety and stability in the very low speed turns.

I haven't noticed the wobble due to tires. I use E-3's.

Ride Safe, Ride Often!
Larry

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gary in Indiana said:
Thanks, Dick. Maybe I don't notice it because the only time I take a hand off a grip is well over 40mph. My bad shoulder is on my right side so I have to be at speed and have the cruise set. :)
I did mine more for the handling and at this point I have to say that it was quite an improvement. I can see where having a bad right shoulder could be a real PIA

How do you like your VTX? I have been looking at getting one just for the fun of it. I really like the look but have never driven one

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LBS said:
I had the Alls Balls, Steering Head Bearings installed about a month ago. The "loose front end" felt during a tight u-turn is gone! Now, I would describe it as a "positive steering" feel, where power steering is a loose feel of the handle bars, IMHO. Before the installation, I would "fight the handle bars" by jerking them left and right all the way through tight u-turn maneuvers in very dangerous traffic!

In any case, I think I would have dropped the wing on several occasions since adding a co-rider recently!! Sure was a timely improvement. Not cheap, but worth the cost to add an extra measure of safety and stability in the very low speed turns.

I haven't noticed the wobble due to tires. I use E-3's.

Ride Safe, Ride Often!
Larry
Ditto!
Your experience was a lot like mine especially the "fighting the handle bars" routine

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
BigD said:
Gary in Indiana said:
I did mine more for the handling and at this point I have to say that it was quite an improvement. I can see where having a bad right shoulder could be a real PIA

How do you like your VTX? I have been looking at getting one just for the fun of it. I really like the look but have never driven one

Ride Safe
Dick
The VTX1800 is a great bike for what it is and I ride it probably as many days as I do my Goldwing. I don't, however, ride it anywhere near as many miles as I do my Goldwing. The Wing is superior in about every conceivable way technically, but the VTX is a really fun city bike. I chose the 'Retro' because I like the classic motorcycle styling it has and the big V-Twin look the 1800 carries. The riding position is more laid back than the Wing, which I find to be very straight up. The VTX is far roomier, if that's a concern. With no shield, it's a far nicer ride on really warm days, too. With that big fairing and shield on the Wing not even Baker Wings and a vent can come close to cooling you down like the open front on the VTX.

I'd wanted to add a cruiser type bike to compliment the Wing and had looked at the HD Wide Glide but chose the VTX 1800 Retro for a number of reasons. It's bigger (and really looks it, too), faster, more comfortable (once I got the Ultimate Big Boy seat) and way less money on the used market than the Wide Glide. Honda's reputation for reliability and my experience with Hondas over the years certainly played a big role in my decision, too. I can honestly say I haven't regretted buying or having my VTX one day since I brought it home. All of that having been said, if something were to happen and I could only have one bike, I'd have to let the VTX go and stick with the Wing. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts