GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well… it’s done!!

Today was the day I completed the crossover to the Darkside.

Here is the install 300 Report

Well I took the bike to my local Auto skill center here on Fort Bragg and decided to give it a go myself. That didn’t go so well… So I removed the bike tire and took a look at the Kumho’s fit… I could not figure out how to get the tire past the wheel well and wheel studs??? Ahh, a quandary. So, after a while of tinkering and then wearing out my welcome with the shop supervisor who sort of “helps” out, I decided to use one of my lifelines… I phoned a friend.

I put my bike back together again and took it to a friend’s place where we commenced to place the center stand again on an 2” block to raise the back end a little. I removed the left exhaust just to make the access to the lug nuts easier. I removed the tire, took it to a local used tire place, and asked them to change it out.

OK, many shops proclaim they “do not have the right equipment” to change a bike tire. But the difference is that you have to clamp the rim from the outside, not the inside… this seems to throw them a loop for some reason.. The punk rocker who worked there could not care less what I was putting the tire on. But he sure liked the Dynabeads (lord knows what was going through his head). It took less than 5 minutes and cost me $5.

So , back to the bike. Here is the crux of the fitment issue I faced earlier. Turns out that placing the tire on a rim changed the shape of the tire and placing the tire on the bike took approximately 15 seconds. Now, after a good government funded education I seemed to waste all that college money. Masters degree of what? Not tires!

Put the bike together and went for a ride. My immediate impression: FANTASTIC!!

I immediately noticed the over steering issue people speak of, but the way I felt it is that it was simply a tad harder to start a turn and the bike wanted to right itself, which I find to be a nice benefit.
The ride, with the Kumho on the rear and dynabeads running in both tires is WAY smother. I put the dynabeads in the front this morning and I noticed less vibration up there right away, now with both it is even better.
I found the ride softer and so I took it down the crappiest road on Fort Bragg and I noticed that the translation to the pilot is far less. I like.

I would like to thank all of you who have urged me, coached me and in some cases coerced me into making this change. I know I am going to love this!

Cheers. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I thought someone had stolen my tire, looks just like mine. :thumbup:

Congratulations on becoming enlightened.

Kit

·
Registered
796 Posts
Joel, welcome. Glad you got the tire on....now all you have to do is enjoy the ride. The thing I noticed with mine is that I enoy it more the more miles I get on the bike. Have fun and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought someone had stolen my tire, looks just like mine. :thumbup:

Congratulations on becoming enlightened.

Kit

Checked your bike lately?? I wanted to be just like you kit!!

Cheers

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Why would any one in their right mind want to put a car tire on a motorcycle ?? Folks, its a motorcycle, a two wheeled device. It uses a motorcycle engine, motorcycle lights, motorcycle handlebars, motorcycle brakes, so please folks, use a motorcycle tire !! Gjeeze !!

Welcome aboard !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
3turtles,

Great write-up. It's funny, everyone on this side of the Darkside knew what you were going to say when it got done. Glade to have you over on the right side:cool:.

The Fun Has Just Begun:thumbup:.

John

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Now go find Clarkster. He's stationd there at Ft. Bragg and posts on here from time to time. He rides a Titanium wing. He's also needs a little push to get on over the the darkside.

·
Registered
128 Posts
3turtles,
Welcome to the Darkside!!! :bow:
Ray

·
Registered
803 Posts
Glad you like it. Have you ridden with your Navigator on the back yet? She should notice a difference.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You must be from Wisconsin. I can imagine no other reason for being excited about moving there. You do know that the riding season there is really short, don't you?;)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you like it. Have you ridden with your Navigator on the back yet? She should notice a difference.
Not yet, but not so sure she will notice.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is the way i'm going next time. I'm gonna cross over.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the way i'm going next time. I'm gonna cross over.
I am sold! I researched the dickens out of it, but in the end, I can't see why more don't. It is marvelous!!

Cheers

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Ah much better, added another loser to my ignore list...:yes1:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I spoke to a MC Tire Engineer this weekend and asked him what were the pros and cons of CT on motorcycles like Wings. Pro - It's cheaper. Con - Go put a Hand Grenade with the pin pulled in your front pocket...

I think I'll stick to MC Tires. :roll:

Geof
#1...,.At least you didn't say it doesn't work:rolleyes:
#2.....Stop and think...I believe he has a pretty vested interest in saying just that, as in "job security".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts