GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 GL1800 is a highly engineered machine. With a little attention to detail during reassembly, everything just fits. Except for my seat. For the life of me I can’t seem to get the forward tabs to fully engage under the front shelter. Once the side grips are bolted in, a 1/4-3/8” gap appears between the seat and the shelter keeping the clips from engaging with the shelter. What am I missing? It has to be simple.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Have you removed the passenger backrest? The seat can be reinstalled with it in place, but it makes getting those front clips and the part that hooks under the loop above the gas tank a bit more difficult. If you open the trunk and remove the 2 Philips screws at the base of the backrest, the cushion will lift off. Once it's out of the way, start the nose of the seat under the back of the shelter at a small angle, which will allow the other hook to engage the loop below as well. Slide it forward as you lower the seat down. Make sure the rubber bushings that the bolts pass through are fully seated as well, otherwise the seat won't sit correctly on the frame making installation of the grab handles and bolts near impossible. Once it's in place, reinstall the passenger backrest and you're ready to go. Good luck and ride safe.

Also, CAWing is there in Vancouver as well. If you contact him, he would probably help you out, show you some tips and tricks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will remove the backrest and reinstall the seat to see if that helps. We’re off to Yellowstone early tomorrow morning. So, I’ll try that on our return. Thanks! ??

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
To me, poor fit in the front means a couple of things.
- the seat pan is deformed from carrying to much weight. Basically the distance from front to rear of the seat is now shorter from being bowed in the middle
- sometime people will install a backrest that bolts to the underside of the seat that changes the seats curvature
- the front bracket actress the tank may be deformed or not installed correctly

To correct, with your fingers, pull up on the front lip of the seat while reading in with a screw driver and push down on the white tabs to tuck them under the shelter ... easy, peasy !!!

Reactions: Ozone1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me, poor fit in the front means a couple of things.
- the seat pan is deformed from carrying to much weight. Basically the distance from front to rear of the seat is now shorter from being bowed in the middle
- sometime people will install a backrest that bolts to the underside of the seat that changes the seats curvature
- the front bracket actress the tank may be deformed or not installed correctly

To correct, with your fingers, pull up on the front lip of the seat while reading in with a screw driver and push down on the white tabs to tuck them under the shelter ... easy, peasy !!!
GoldWingrGreg I believe I’m the second owner. I’m around 175 and the previous owner around 160. But, You could be on to something as it does have a Utopia back rest. I will try the screwdriver trick on my return! ?

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
I will try the screwdriver trick on my return! ?
The white tab is not brittle. So you won't have to worry much about pushing down too hard on it. But only push just far enough. It's made out of nylon or some form of flexible plastic.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Check the metal bar under the front section of the seat and make sure it isn't bent down. The large white tab should go UNDER this metal bar. Sometimes if the seat is installed improperly, the large tab sits on top of the metal crossbrace and then gets bent down when you sit on it. You may have to bend it back up if it is bent down.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Check the metal bar under the front section of the seat and make sure it isn't bent down. The large white tab should go UNDER this metal bar. Sometimes if the seat is installed improperly, the large tab sits on top of the metal crossbrace and then gets bent down when you sit on it. You may have to bend it back up if it is bent down.

Had this happen on my 2004. I think it was bent during the frame recall welding. I went to take the seat off and the tab wasn't hooked under the bar. Took me a while to figure out why the seat wouldn't "seat".

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have to lift the back up about 6 inches to slide the tabs under the fuel area.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Also, if the seat has been sitting on top of that tab for some time (and used/ridden that way) it will be harder to get it to go under correctly, because it is warped. Sounds like some fun ahead of you getting it to fit correctly. You will win.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The spacers where the bolts go into also fall out of the holes in the seat that can cause alignment issues as well...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I just open the trunk and lift up the rear of the seat about 6 inches. I kind of lift the rear of the seat up and pull it up and back. Gives plenty of room to slip the seat tabs under the retainer.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
I believe Fred is on it, the seat tab is not under the fuel tank frame bridge like it should be.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Mine had the problem Fred H. mentioned when I bought it, and I didn't know about it until I had that breakdown in Kentucky - the mech there at Lexington Motorsports was a real whiz, and along with everything else he pulled that metal "door handle" back up into shape when he put the bike back together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts