GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lamont has spent a lot of time on the phone with an attorney. It seems that someone felt that something that was posted on here was slanderous of him and he had his attorney call us since we run the site.

We removed the posts as we don't feel like getting into it with attorneys over issues that are actually very simple. In fact, Lamont and I think that what was posted was not slanderous but represented the facts as they were. But rather than do battle with an attorney we removed what was posted until we get an opinion from our attorney as to who is responsible if something that could be libelous or slanderous is posted.

Unfortunately these type of "BEWARE" posts are going to have to be scrutinized much closer and a lot of them will probably get deleted unless more facts are verifiable when the post is made.

We are sorry that the Internet is headed to this and you will soon notice a disclaimer that will be added to each page on the message board.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It would be interesting to see what Lamont deems slanderous. Sounds like it goes both ways.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hal,

What a Chicken Poop thing for these guys to do.

I don't need the details of the situation, to make me angry.

I just don't get it. Be a grown-up about things.

You did well, to "DELETE", but I do not feel that either you, Lamont or your staff should have to Baby sit a bunch of presumed adults.

I know that my life is better because of this board.

Bulldog

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LIKETOWATCH said:
It would be interesting to see what Lamont deems slanderous. Sounds like it goes both ways.
I am not quite sure how to take your post. I think Lamont does a great job running this board and keeping it G rated. If you have an issue about a particular post why don't you let me know which one it is and I will look at it.

But Lamont and I don't plan on monitoring any Internet sites 24 hours a day. If it has to come to that the boards will be adios.

If you come here you need to understand what you are getting into.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
LIKETOWATCH said:
It sounded like a board member found it slanderous, not Lamont.
There often is name calling and whatnot.
Wonder who the offender and comment was? Hmmm?

Wow. I just saw the discaimer down below.
Sorry Hal.
I didn't do it, did I? :oops:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Hal,best of luck dealing with this problem. You are right,some people ruin it for everyone.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Don't know why people can't just bring things to your attention if they have an issue, and let you and Lamont make a decision rather than run to an attourney.

You shouldn't have to monitor the board 24 hours a day. We are suppose to be adults and able to deal with things in an adult manner.

This board does a lot of good for a lot of people. I hope one or two bad eggs don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Dep

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dam, I hate to hear this about trouble makers when their post gets so bad, LaMont has to baby sit for what some think of themselves as adults..

Realize this people:

It cost Hal and his staff time and money just for us the privilege to visit/read and post our thoughts/concerns and questions about Goldwings,
and now this........... :roll:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Dick The Butcher was right, we gotta kill all the lawyers.

If you are stranded on a desert island with Adolph Hitler, Atilla the Hun, and a lawyer, and you have a gun with only two bullets, what do you do?

Shoot the lawyer twice

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not the lawyers - - - its the thin skinned people that think they can post anything they want without recrimination.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
WOW...who would have thought on a message board...where people voice opinions...there would be lawyers involved...who would have thought. I sure hope HAL keeps this board alive without having to babysit a bunch of adults. This board has helped me and others alot...newbies as well as old timers (Im one of the newbies). This board does a lot of good for a lot of people...keep up the good work Hal and Lamont.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
LIKETOWATCH said:
I am not quite sure how to take your post. I think Lamont does a great job running this board and keeping it G rated. If you have an issue about a particular post why don't you let me know which one it is and I will look at it.

But Lamont and I don't plan on monitoring any Internet sites 24 hours a day. If it has to come to that the boards will be adios.

If you come here you need to understand what you are getting into.
My bad, I thought Lamont found something slanderous towards him. Anywho, there are alot of pussies on here that can't take it. Suck it up people.

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
I would think a poster that wanted a attorney to cover his behind would be banned.........

Sorry stuff happens Hal! :(

·
Registered
548 Posts
you americans now live in a country that is sue sue sue at any cost to make a buck & it now filtering across the pond to us now.
SHAME on the posters that may bring an end to this board as i have found it a great help in the short time i have used it & so will many others.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, we know it was a "BEWARE"-type posting; not just the typical "I know you are, but what am I" sort of nonsense that goes on.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
its the thin skinned people that think they can post anything they want without recrimination.
Funny, isn't it? Folks think they're anonymous so they type or place on the net whatever they feel like and feel no remorse.....until it's turned back on themselves, then watch out.

But, you gotta point a finger at some of the attorneys too, taking a case regardless of right or wrong if there is the possibility of (sometimes huge) profit.

Our society being so litigious hurts us all...over and over and over

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kevin burton said:
you americans now live in a country that is sue sue sue at any cost to make a buck & it now filtering across the pond to us now.
Considering the way I understand civil courts in The U.K. to work, that seems to me to be unlikely.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Too bad...

It is too bad that a few people can ruin things for everybody.

I've always felt like this board was very "tame" compared to other internet forums. Try DPreview for example.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

For the most part the folks on this forum are friendly and responsible. Those helpful and respectful ones along with Hal and his favor of hosting this board makes it one of the better internet stops.

It is too bad that others have a self serving way of destroying things. I read a poem from long ago once that comes to mind about this.

AM I A BUILDER?

I watched them tearing a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town.
With a ho-heave-ho and a lusty yell
They swing a beam and the side wall fell
I asked the foreman. "Are these men skilled,
And the men you'd hire if you had to build?"

He gave a laugh and said: "No, indeed!
Just common labor is all I need.
I can easily wreck in a day or two
What builders have taken a year to do."
And I thought to myself as I went away,
Which of these roles have I tried to play?

Am I a builder who works with care,
Measuring life by the rule and square?
Am I shaping my deeds to a well-made plan.
Patiently doing the best I can?
Or am I a wrecker, who walks the town,
Content with the labor of tearing down?

Author unknown

Thanks Hal for trying your best to give us this great forum.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts