GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and not the best day for tire testing. WARNING: this is my first post here, and it may be a bit long.

It all started several months ago, when we had a rear tire blowout (E-3) while enroute to NM from our home in central CA. That tire, with about 8500 miles, failed catastrophically at 75mph, on I-40, just west of Flagstaff, AZ. The tread was at 50%, the pressure at 46PSI and the air temp was about 80f. 5 hours and $750 later, we were back on our way to Los Lunas, having replaced both tires at Northland Motorsports in Flagstaff. Those folks really know how to take advantage of tourists, but that's a story for another day. For the type of riding we enjoy, the last thing we want to worry about is whether or not we can find a reliable tire that will go the distance. We are BMW K12LT refugees, having made the switch to the GL in June, '08; but at least the LT's bias rear (ME880) could go 13-14K. We desperately needed to find a solution to this problem, or resign ourselves to expensive mid-ride tire replacements.

Sleddog to the rescue!!

We first met Sleddog during an LD event starting and ending in San Diego County. It was an SS1K over the twistiest roads SoCal has to offer. Sleddog is a rider's rider, and I was very impressed with his mastery of the GL. When he casually mentioned that he was riding on a car tire, my first question was "how long will it last?". Many more questions ensued over the following month, which were all answered when he graciously offered to ride up to our home, bringing a CT mounted on a spare wheel, for us to try on our bike. 30 minutes into the ride......I was gut-hooked! Fast forward:

2 days ago, I mounted and installed a Kumho 195/55-16, with my trusty modified HF changer, and yesterday (the dark and stormy one) I went for a 160 mile test ride. From our home, the nearest twisty road is on the way to Sequoia Nat'l Park, but it was snowing there, so I went to Paso Robles, over the coastal hills, where the road was intermittantly wet and wetter (but not frozen). At this point, you all know how the story ends. I was still grinning when I awoke this morning.

After lurking on this forum for several months, suffice it to say........Thank you, one and all.......especially Sleddog!!!

-tom

·
Registered
796 Posts
Tom,

welcome to the darkside. You will love it here. be sure to get your number from murgie, and keep smiling. all the reports are the same- smiles and happy riders....having ridden and loved this tire myself I know you won't be disappointed. the more you ride it the better it gets. have fun and welcome home.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome Home.......... :congrats:

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Hi Tom and welcome to the darkside. Yes, heard this story many many times, but it is nice to see another ride with that big grin on his face. Wait til Rosie rides on the back now. She will be even more impressed with the ride.

Holler if you need a number with that smile.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Tom,

Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm glad the Kumho did well in the wet. I got an Email this morning saying car tires are prone to hydroplanning. I love my Kumho, but haven't ridden it in the rain. The email also said the CT is hard to turn and wants to stand up.

A grain of salt was taken.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tom,

Not motorcycle related, but welcome from a son of Hanford. Family lived there in 1951 when I was born. Moved to Nevada in 1954, but do get back to visit the area once in awhile. Still have some family in Fresno.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Will never tire of hearin from very happy converts. Believe us all when we say, your front tire is now the only one you need to worry about.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hook 'em up!

Tom,

That Kumho is pretty sweet isn't it!!

Murgie! hook 'em up!

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
Tomandrosie,
Welcome to the enlightened "DARKSIDE"........may the force be with you :thumbup: !

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tomandrosie,
Welcome to the Darkside!!! :congrats:
I have the Kumho also and have ridden in the rain here in Southern California these past couple of weeks.
I have been on the 405 Freeway in the carpool lane and hitting flooded areas.
No Hydroplaning that I have seen and the tire Plows right through the water.
I also have the Pirelli Sport Demon on the front. (Thanks Rocky!!!)
Not recommending you look for puddles but, I haven't had any problems as of yet. :thumbup:

Ray

R

·
0 Posts
The real danger of Hydroplaning comes when someone has the cruise control set. It'll mess up your whole day.

·
Registered
331 Posts
:congrats:Welcome to the darkside:thumbup:
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
470 Posts
tomandrosie,
Welcome and enjoy..........."Tell me, Grasshopper.........all...of....their....eyes.....are....open.....and....yet.....they......cannot.....see...." Semper-fi:flg:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tomandrosie,

Good to see you over here. I am glad my riding partner Sleddog from Up-chuck 1000 and White Stag was able to help you out. I am sorry I was not able to ride up with him on his visit to your place and see you guys.

I really want to see the Superior Dairy and see you guys up there. I am glad you new tire is working out for you. You seem really enthusiastic about it. I can tell you that I saw sleddog pushing his tire to the limits on a snow and cinder-filled road going down to Banning, and the tire did not budge a bit.

Hope to see you at the Nevada 1099, if not before.

Doug - on yellow VFR

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Tomandrosie, Nice report. Welcome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts