GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into the driveway at home, got off my bike to open the garage and a nice puddle was forming on the left side, front wheel. Blew a fork seal. Got close to 70000mi on "Red", so it is about time. I may have to drive to the shop about 30 mi. My question is how dangerous and how much damage could be done? I had the seals on a Suzuki replaced and I just removed the forks myself and went to the shop. The Wing is a lot more complicated. The weather here is great and now I will be in the truck for a while. I replaced my 98 f150 with a 2013 Silverado, so it is not to bad.

Drumz:doorag:
02 Wing

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
You'll be fine to ride. Just ride less agressively and no worries mon ;).

I would zip-tie a rag at the top of the lower tube to catch any runoff from the leaking seal - you really don't want that running down into your brake caliper or rotor. Otherwise, just ride it easy and take it in. There are some various you-tube videos on pulling your forks, and Fred's dvd's shows pullling the forks and replacing seals also.

Not super difficult, but can be a bit daunting for a first-timer without some guidance. Might want to consider upgrading to monotubes and disabling the antidive while you've got it apart.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reminded me of this.

Pulled into the driveway at home, got off my bike to open the garage and a nice puddle was forming on the left side, front wheel. Blew a fork seal. Got close to 70000mi on "Red", so it is about time. I may have to drive to the shop about 30 mi. My question is how dangerous and how much damage could be done? I had the seals on a Suzuki replaced and I just removed the forks myself and went to the shop. The Wing is a lot more complicated. The weather here is great and now I will be in the truck for a while. I replaced my 98 f150 with a 2013 Silverado, so it is not to bad.

Drumz:doorag:
02 Wing
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=DAC8F4F5E775167B96ABDAC8F4F5E775167B96AB

·
Registered
34 Posts
We left Oklahoma City on a ride to Nebraska. We got about 70 miles north of OKC, pulled in to fill up and get coffee. One of our guys had blown out a fork seal along the way. He completed the ride without a problem at all. Just made a real mess of the front end of the bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A kotex wrapped around the seal, with waterproof medical tape works really well. Wrap it where the dust boot is, tightly,, and then lightly wrap around the fork itself so the fork will move thru the kotex but will not bunch up. It keeps the fork juice from running all over the place and getting messing the brakes, or the fender. Made it home from Greenville to Cincinnati with this set up. Use one for "Heavy days" they seem to work best.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
:roll::roll::bow::bow:;) BE SURE TO DO BUSHINGS ALSO - MINE WERE SHOT AT 68,000 .

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Fork Seal and Bushings

Isn't the Honda recommended service interval (I know it is for Traxxion) approx 24K? I have my forks and bushings if needed, serviced at 24K and they are ususally showing pretty good wear by that time. My wife, can feel the difference in the ride also.

·
Registered
509 Posts
A kotex wrapped around the seal, with waterproof medical tape works really well. Wrap it where the dust boot is, tightly,, and then lightly wrap around the fork itself so the fork will move thru the kotex but will not bunch up. It keeps the fork juice from running all over the place and getting messing the brakes, or the fender. Made it home from Greenville to Cincinnati with this set up. Use one for "Heavy days" they seem to work best.
Use the Kotex, but don't get your panties in a wad!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Wow, a lot of seals popping lately. :shock: I wonder if this is indicative of the conditions our roads are this year?
i sure do not believe it is coincidence.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The common thread in most left fork seal failures is the anti dive system. This pressurizes the fork when the ADV valve kicks in (or is stuck open).

That being said if ANYONE runs forks for 68k or more and thinks they aren't due for a rebuild you are fooling yourself.

Regardless of road conditions or driving style that moving assembly needs attention more often than that.

Summary: ADV sucks, regardless, forks should be serviced more often than 50k or more.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
:wrong::bow: :lol: "Heavy days" ....that's awesome!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
That being said if ANYONE runs forks for 68k or more and thinks they aren't due for a rebuild you are fooling yourself.

Regardless of road conditions or driving style that moving assembly needs attention more often than that.

Summary: ADV sucks, regardless, forks should be serviced more often than 50k or more.

Hope this helps.

I find that bushings are showing some wear at 18-20K miles, and really ready or past ready for replacement at 24K miles. At 50K you are wearing the inside of your sliders, and have been for a while. A loaded wing with rider, co rider, luggage etc is over 1400 lbs, close to 1500. Add the crappy ADV design, and your suspension takes a beating. The oil gets very tired, and the bushings wear.

MD11, Honda has no specified service interval for fork service. They seem to use a failed seal as the timing mechanism for fork service. You are spot on. 20-24K is a much more realistic number IF you don't want to wear your sliders out prematurely.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Something tells me there is more to this story than meets the eye :lol:

Try explaning this one to your riding buddies when they see what you have in your saddle bags..."Ah ya that's my roadside emergency kit" :oops:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wow, a lot of seals popping lately. :shock: I wonder if this is indicative of the conditions our roads are this year?
I just posted about my fork seal on Sat or Sunday, but I will admit. Mine was blown for quite some time. Its was obvious from all the gunk on the lower fork that it didn't just happen. The problem with riding daily is sometimes you forget to give the ol' girl a thorough inspection as often as you probably should.

However, I can promise you the roads here in Hampton Roads, Va aren't smooth. When returning from trips the wife and I can usually tell when we are about 2 hours from home as the bumps get noticable and I have to start paying more attention to avoid the potholes and such.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts