GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not often that we get a newbie in to pick up a new Tailwind.

To me, a rider in his first 10,000 miles is a beginner.

In his first 50,000 miles is a Newbie.

After 50,000 miles of riding or so, the rider is starting to learn the tricks that are thrown at him or her by those "other" people on the road, drivers of vehicles that don'd lean on turns.

Mike never had a motorcycle before his 09 Wing, and had never pulled a trailer with any vehicle and has less than 30,000 miles on two wheels. What is more, plans to have his new Tailwind pulled to him at a rendezvous point did not materialize and he was forced to use the weekend between the end of an out of state seminar and a regular work week to come after his trailer.

So Mike left after the seminar in Lynchburg VA Friday morning, and rode to Little Rock the first day, and from there Saturday morning to here in Spring Branch Saturday evening. I intercepted him a few miles north in Blanco where we had dinner. He had ridden 1425 miles in the prior two days. After dinner in Blanco, we stopped at our shop to show him Tailwinds in production and then came to my pad.

We hooked Mike's Tailwind to his bike in the dark and checked the lights, then visited a bit. Mike crashed at my pad after I had twisted his arm into doing the ritual, going to the OST in Bandera on Sunday morning for breakfast and the predawn ride to get there.

We went out to the bikes and hour and a half before dawn. Mike got on his bike for the first time with a trailer attached and said "lets see, I turn the wheel this way so the trailer goes that way" and did a perfect job of backing out of the car port in an arc. The Carport sits 90° to the driveway. He put his bike in gear and rode up the driveway as I did the same and away we went.

It was one of those Alice in Wonderland pre dawn mornings with a full August moon lighting up the sawtooth tops of the Texas Hill Country terrain, and the temperature was just below 80, and so was perfect.

We saw a dozen or so white tail deer at the edge of the road because in this drought, that is the only food left for them to eat. The deer were so busy eating that only one even looked up as we passed by.

This was probably the most awsome pre dawn morning I have seen in years and we enjoyed chatting on CB about this really beautiful spectacle. The ride is an even hour at just under 50 mph, just about as fast as you want to ride in the thick of the deer country at night.

It was still dark when we got to the OST in Bandera a half hour before they opened, a little later than I usually get there, and they let us in for coffee. Crystal said she was worried because I was late and thought that I might have hit another deer. I have hit 9 so far on bikes.

Mike fit in with our OST crowd like he had been coming there for years, even though it was the first time he had ridden to Texas, ever. He lives near Toledo.

Everyone at the table was in good form and as usual, went out to kick tires for a while after eating.

Local riders look at Mike's new Tailwind

Mike is down the way looking at other's bikes.

Some local riders have one horsepower machines. Actually, I took this photo earlier on. The tall fellow is Stewart, inventor of the Stent.

Mike wanted to go to see some family members near Lake Livingstone on his way back to Toledo, so far be it from me to route him on those boring freeways. Wanting to be sure he could handle twisties, we went through Medina to Kerrville and the full length of Texas 473, most of the length of Texas 32 and then on to Texas 21 before parting company.

The photo below is a rest stop on 32 in the middle of the Devil's Backbone.

The route I suggested was Bastrop, Bryan, Navasota, Lake Livingston. I called Mike later to be sure he made it and he said he really enjoyed the backroads route and had a totally different perspective of Texas now.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Tom, that's some great Tejas hospitality. Sounds like you fellas had a great time..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tom, That early in the morning is about the only time you can ride around here, looks like you had a good time. Wes

·
Registered
70 Posts
TOM!!! Don't scar me like that.... The title has two meanings.... Bad & Ugly!! ;)

Ok, note to self.... Update definitions to include GOOD. :lol:

Congrats to Mike!!! :bow::congrats: Welcome to the family!!

Thanks Tom for sharing a perfect day!!!

John

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tom,
Sounds to me like another "just one of those awesome" days. New Tailwind, nice morning ride, breakfast at the OST, riding in the Texas countryside.....

See you in Cedar City.

Mike,
Congratulations on the beautiful new Tailwind! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
New Tailwind Owner

First I want to thank Tom for his friendship and hospitality. As Tom stated this was a whirlwind trip from Ohio, to Virginia on business, then to Texas to pick up the Tailwind, and return home near Toledo, Ohio.

I have never pulled a trailer and did not know what to expect with the motorcycle. What I can tell you is this Trailer is amazing!!! The design of the trailer is so good I had to keep checking my mirrors to ensure it was still attached to the motorcycle.

When Tom designed this trailer he knew the trailer would out perform any other trailer on the market. Tom proved this to me when he took us through the hill country with the twisties and the trailer tracked perfectly. He also, took us on the interstate highway and displayed the handling characteristics of the trailer at highway speeds and again, the trailer was flawless.

It took me six months of research (comparing specs, and reading forums for information about trailers, the plusses and deltas) to determine which trailer I was going to purchase. After pulling the trailer home I am very happy with my decision. I believe If people would research the design characteristics of the trailers before buying they would purchase nothing else but the Tailwind.

I bet if we put a Goldwing with a Tailwind trailer in a wind tunnel and watch how the smoke would roll around the Goldwing and Tailwind you would see the Tailwind would probably enhance the airflow characteristics of the Goldwing.

As you can tell, I am one very happy Tailwind owner. The trip home was flawless and event free. I want to return to Texas for more riding and visiting with friends, as the areas Tom showed me were beautiful and fun to ride. For the other Tailwind owners, I am proud to be part of the family.

By the way it was nice having breakfast with everyone at the OST (Old Spanish Trail) restaurant Sunday in Bandera. Thanks for welcoming me as part of the group.

Mike Widner
Northwood, Ohio

·
Administrator
3,581 Posts
Hello Mike, and welcome to the Tailwind family. I hope to meet you, probably at the OST some Sunday morning if I can ever pull the trigger and re-retire.

Yes, the Tailwind is that good. We sometimes get blasted for discussing how much better is the Tailwind than other trailers, for it sometimes sounds like we're dissing other brands. I'm not dissing others, I'm just describing the qualities of the Tailwind!

I too did all the homework and comparisons, and I "looked under the hood". I don't have a lot of disposable income so I quickly decided that if were to spend the money for a trailer I wanted to buy one that would outlast me and still have a decent resale. The Tailwind is a bargain in my books.

Anyway, I hope you're considering joining us on the TTT in September. If not, maybe we'll meet on the road.

Glen

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mike, congrats on the new trailer.

Tom, you've taken customer service to a new level. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, my main lament is that you were not here for several days. Some of the OST regulars are also regulars at our weekday breakfasts. This morning was our mid week breakfast and the two that were at Sunday's breakfast both had very good things to say about you. You are absolutely a fit and we all want you to hurry back.

You mentioned wanting to come back to see the Alamo. Of course we are proud of the Alamo and its history, but we may visit the Alamo once a decade while riding the Twisted sisters several times per year.

Also there is the Lone star Motorcycle museum. Coopers Barbecue in Llano,

Airport Diner in Fredericksburg, Luckenbach.

With your new Tailwind, equipped with the Yetti 35 you are getting, some folding chairs and camera gear, you can have a blast.

From your short visit, you will recognize some of these places.

Big Bend is spectacular and the Alpine loop is great to ride.

And then the Panhandle and the Palo Duro Canyon and the Play "Texas" is a very special treat,

And then the Panhandle and the Palo Duro Canyon and the Play "Texas" is a very special treat, not to mention the Cactus Cuties at the Cactus theater in Lubbock.

not to mention the Cactus Cuties at the Cactus theater in Lubbock.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Tom,
At least it wasn't Storming on Mike most of the way back up-country like it did on the other Tom a couple of years ago. That was a frightful week end. :shock:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
George, yep, and those two have met. In fact, Mike looked at Tom's Tailwind as part of his research.

Now that I think about it, Tom's wild weather ride was quite a while back because Tom later got a new Dark Orange Wing and repainted his TW to match.

In the photo above, the distant clouds later became angry. Tom, with his first ride pulling a trailer, encountered record winds along the route. Seems there were straight line winds of 100 mph near Waco, as I remember. Tom would have a hard time making 150 pounds even wet. I was really worried until he got home in Toledo.

Tom came down to show us his new paint job the day after the OST burned.

He and I went up to see the status of the OST the next day after it burned.

The black wall on the right is the firewall that the OST is on the other side of.

Lots of autographed photos were on the walls and everyone were saved. Some John Wayne, Roy Rogers, etc. The disaster management company and the OST employees worked very hard to recover the restaurant. The fire was on Tuesday night, and they opened Friday morning for business. That is what teamwork will do.

Unbelievably, this is what the OST looked like 4 days later.

Our beloved waitress, Crystal, and I talked about that even just last Sunday. It was in that conversation that I learned that there was no wall hung photo lost.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tailwind Trailer Newbie+

We took delivery of our Tailwind not long ago and just finished a 2640 mile trip from Salt Lake City to Canada and back again. All I can say is what a great experience it was to have such a wonderful trailer to pull. I couldn't even tell it was behind us and the gas mileage didn't vary much with the trailer in tow or left off the bike. There were 5 couples on our family excursion to the north, each with their own trailer. There were two California Side Car trailers, two Bushtecs and our Tailwind. The only trailer people along the way ever wanted to talk to us about was the Tailwind. It's an awesome unit. We have a Yeti 35 cooler in the trailer and the combination worked so well we had to replace the ice less than half as often as the other trailer/cooler combinations on our trip.

A great trip made even better by a great trailer!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the Tailwind family. We have had ours now for a couple of years. My wife and I are in California now on our anniversary trip (37 years). We have experienced a lot (I am just now crossing the 50K mark to lose my Tom's newbie status :thumbup:) and on this trip a micro burst from a bad Arizona thunderstorm blew our bike over at a rest stop but the Tail Wind and it's aerodynamics just rode it out and the hitch wasn't even near the limits.
Look for us occasionally east of Columbus Ohio since we have a son and his family there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts