GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My weekly pre-dawn ride to Bandera was not according to plan this morning.

I was just settling in for my trek across Texas 46 when I had a very brightly lit surprise, a young white tail buck.

I would have gone on to Bandera if I had not smelled coolant. So I went back home and got out My trusyt 93 Wing and put the Tailwind on it and away I went so as not to be too late for Breakfast. I did stop at the scene and pick up a lot of red and chrome plastic.

I knocked the deer about 100 to 150 feet where its body landed on the right shoulder. I heard plastic sliding for quite a while after I hit it.

When I got back home, I could see in the daylight that the left radiator was leaking. The right radiator was bent in an artistic way with the aft end straight and the front end turned up a couple of inches like a Pugs nose, yet it was bone dry.

I was once again glad that I had ABS, as I had put all the brakes there were on, but the distance, about 25 feet, was too little to slow much.

Typical of my three of my other four deer strikes, the deer ran out from behind the headlight glare of an oncoming truck and the lights of the truck kept me from seeing it. I started to try to miss it but the deer must have liked the bright light and I hit it almost perfectly dead center, and as some years before, its rump flew around the side and probably a hoof got my shin.

I had not ridden the 93 Wing for the time (114,000 miles) I had ridden the 04. I remain impressed with the 1500. The word is silence.

It is also the first time I pulled the Tailwind with the 1500. Fifth gear passiing is still very easy. I think the Turquios Bike and Candy Red trailer caused a couple of people to wince a little.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tom,

Glad that you can be so positive about this.

Also glad that you don't have to repeat the picture show that you provided us a while back.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Glad to hear things turned out the way they did. It could have been much worse from your description.

To knock any size deer a 100-150 feet and keep the bike up takes some real skill and probably some luck.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Tom, I'm glad you are OK. It is after reading your praises of the ABS and others that convinced me that when I replaced my bike, it would be with an ABS model. I hope to be in possession of it by mid November. Candy Red, of course! :D

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Deer on the move

I'm glad you're ok, too bad about your bike. I have seen lots of deer on the move in southeast Texas lately especially since the last cold front. I see them most often around dusk and dawn, everyone keep your antenna up for 'em and be extra careful. T.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Now Tom, I just posted about your possibly leading us on some tours during the Spring Gathering in Kerrville next year. Man, I'm glad you are O.K. - stupid deer. That shin will hurt for awhile, but hope the bike can be repaired in short order. We really want to join you for a Sunday breakfast at the OST while we're down there next Spring.

Take care of yourself - there's only one Tom Finch!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Kripes!

glad things turned out well for you Tom.

Looking at a 2007 Orange bike yet?

:arrow: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Tom,
I'm glad that you were able to keep it upright and that the personal damage was light. You mentioned that you had to return home to swap bikes, but what about your shorts? I definitely would have needed a new pair!
I'm impressed with your riding skills (as I am with many others on this board) and hope that you aren't slowed down too much. Keep me posted on the repair progress.
I wish I could get over and visit with you.

Andy

·
Registered
393 Posts
So I went back home and got out My trusyt 93 Wing and put the Tailwind on it and away I went
That's a heck of a recovery. I would have had to at least change my pants also!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
deer

Good riding Tom.
It coulda been nothin but worse.
abs.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Glad you got through that one Tom, I have only hit 3 on the GL-1800 so far, I guess you could call the 3rd one a hit, but it really was more like a love tap LOL ... These wings are Tough !!!!

Take care !! 8)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Tom, I think we need to start calling you the "Energizer Bunny" because you just keep going and going and going.......

Glad you are OK Tom, Keep the plastic side up!!

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
Tom at least u wern't hurt,sounds like good news to me

good thing u have ABS

do u ever think about leaving the trailer home ?

from the description i have a feeling your wing could b a total wreck

airbag next time ?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, here is a collage of some shots of the bike and the deer strike area.

In the lower left shot, I am standing about where the deer strike was in the lane to my right. I am standing in the yellow area because the traffic was really zooming buy. The red SUV in the distance is beside the sign post where the deer is. In the lower right is the deer close up.

Notice the radiator in the upper left view, and it was not leaking a drop. The right radiator is leaking.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I, like so many others, are glad you're OK. All those years and miles of riding helped a lot, I'm sure.

How fast were you going to move a deer that size that far? You didn't load it up in the trailer and have them fix some of it for breakfast?

Look forward to meeting you some time.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tom,
Glad to see that your OK.
From the looks of that deer, it is surprising that more damage wasn't done.
Good job staying upright!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts