GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my wife and I suffer from itchy heads while wearing helmets. Since we always wear helmets this is a real problem. We've tried all kinds of solutions but haven't found anything that works. I considered shaving my head, but the SO wasn't willing to go that far! Does anyone have any ideas or cures for itchy heads? We would be very grateful for any help here! Thanks.

Dwight

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
To extend this question a little, what do you riders with full-face helmets and beards do (short of shaving it off)? I just keep it shorter, but it still itches like HELL during the warmer months here in Texas!

Regards,

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try a dab of 1% cortizone cream on your scalp before you put the helmet on? Use a dew rag to keep it out of helmet. I never tried it but I bet it will work. I'm ichie all the time, alergies etc.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have always used the Silkie helmet liner and have never experienced the itchy head problem. Have ridden for several days without a problem. I carry two of the liners and rotate them day to day on multi day trips.

If I remember correctly, they cost about $10. Also available in an all cotton version.

Michael

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
We use silkie helment liners & have never had a problem. You might also want to put your helment into a freezer over night. This kills all the stuff that makes odors. It won't hurt your helment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dwight,

My wife had the dreaded "Itchy Head" problem. In her case, we found that switching to a different shampoo solved it.

Hope this helps,
Milt

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Wish I had some hair to put it in.....:lol:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Immediately CEASE all showers/personal hygeine.... the oil build up will solve your problems! Either that or try a little super soft chick style conditioner............ smooth stuff............... Itll pamper your scalp.... stop that itchy itchy.. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Head Skins

I reccomend a head skin by American RaodRider. The best one is the cotton on satin which is reversible. Wear the cotton on your hair in the summer and the satin toward your helmet. That way the cotton absorbs the sweat and the satin works as a vapor barrier. In cooler weather wear the satin on your hair and it helps keep your head warmer. The head skin fits you better than the other brands. After each ride spray your helmet with Febreze to get rid of the odor.
www.americanroadrider.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
Oh, man, that reminds of one of the best jokes ever. Greatly abbreviated (and cleaned up), here's the punch line:

Old Lady: Young man, what would you say if I told you I had an itchy head?

Young Man: Lady, I can't tell one Jap car from another.

. . . of course it's better if you hear the unexpurgated version.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
A poor fitting helmet will also cause itching. Especially if it's too big.

G

·
The symptoms, if any, of an head lice infestation are usually mild, with itching as the main complaint. There appears to be no satisfactory method to get rid of an infestation apart from chemical treatment. Compounds from five different classes of insecticides have been used to kill lice. All of these act on the central nervous system of the louse and are inherently toxic for humans as well.

Permethrin ( NIX ) has become popular because of ease of use, high efficacy against both lice and eggs, and low toxicity.

All products now require a second application seven to 10 days after the first to ensure that any lice hatched from eggs that survived the first treatment are also killed.

·
Registered
824 Posts
1. Stop
2. Remove helmet
3. Scratch head (or whatever else needs it)
4. Put helmet back on
5. Get going
6. Repeat as needed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Use to drive my wife crazy. She accidently discovered that shampooing with a product called Sea Plasma cured her scalp itch. Can be found in major grocery/drug stores.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Never swap helmuts: :lol:

A tiny mite has infested humans for at least 2,500 years. It is often hard to detect and causes a fierce, itchy skin condition known as scabies. Dermatologists estimate that more than 300 million cases of scabies occur worldwide every year. The condition can strike anyone of any race or age, regardless of personal hygiene. But there is good news: with better detection methods and treatments, scabies need not cause more than temporary distress.

More than an Itch: How Scabies Develops
The microscopic mite that causes scabies can barely be seen by the human eye. A tiny, eight-legged creature with a round body, the mite burrows within the skin. Within several weeks the patient develops an allergic reaction. This results in severe itching, often intense enough to keep sufferers awake all night.

Human scabies is almost always caught from another person by close contact - it could be a child, a friend, or another family member. Dermatologists, who frequently treat patients with scabies, point out that scabies is not a condition only of low-income families, neglected children, or poor hygiene. Although, more prominent in crowded living conditions, and poor hygiene - everyone is susceptible.

What to Look for
The earliest and most common symptom of scabies is itching, especially at night. Early on, little red bumps, like hives, tiny bites, or pimples appear. In more advanced cases, the skin may be crusty or scaly.

Getting Rid of Scabies
Scabies is easy and quick to treat with prescription drugs: 5 percent permethrin cream is applied to the skin from head-to-toe at bedtime, and washed off the next morning.

Disclaimer: no mites or other microscopic critters were harmed in any way during the creation of this informational post. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts