GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After suffering through the first season with the stock seat, and trying Air Hawk, Sheepskin, even Wingsoft, and other suggestions, my wife and I were still extremely uncomfortable after 1-2 hours. Over the winter I purchased a Diamond seat. I have finally had a chance to put it to a good test. I am 2000 miles into a trip to Newfoundland, and I have experienced no discomfort. This new bike is a joy to gobble miles with. The province of Newfoundland is beautiful!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZWjXEh9rfcsqq5zY9

Attachments

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Rich, good to hear you like it. What made you choose Diamond seats? Does it have heat?
Beautiful country, very scenic, looks cold. :smile2:
Have the rest of a great trip, may you have smooth sailing and following seas.:grin2:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rich, good to hear you like it. What made you choose Diamond seats? Does it have heat?
Beautiful country, very scenic, looks cold. /forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Have the rest of a great trip, may you have smooth sailing and following seas./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
No heat yet. He is still waiting for the aftermarket heater from the vendor. I have the EC dummy load to kill the light. If I don't need the heated seat on this trip, I won't need it...40F and light rain this morning. I may actually put my heated jacket liner on this morning...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful country, very scenic, looks cold. /forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Have the rest of a great trip, may you have smooth sailing and following seas./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
I chose Diamond because I was pleased with the one on I purchased for my 2001. I bought that bike new, and I was uncomfportable. The 1980 1100 that I bought in 1998 had a Diamond, so I looked them up. The other upside is he builds you a new seat without using the existing. Thus not leaving you without a bike fir a potentially extended period. Also, you can sell the stock seat, and recoup a little money. I don't think I will get the heater if and when available. As for Diamond vs. Hartco, Mark says he builds them the same...

·
Registered
922 Posts
I love my Diamond seat, no heat but very comfortable and can travel about 350 miles without any soreness.. My wife loves it also as she rides behind me and is very comfortable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Rich,

My brother and I will be leaving Long Island (NY) for Newfoundland on June 30. So looking forward to the trip!! My wife & I rode up there in 2017 and it was an incredible trip. I made contacts with many relatives that I had never met before and this time we will be spending more time with them. My brother has never been up there since the last time we as a family were there in 1969 and much has changed. St Johns is such a hip place!!

He will be on his Harley and me on my Wing.

Any recommendations for things you have seen? We will be in the southeast of NFLD.

Mark

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rich,

My brother and I will be leaving Long Island (NY) for Newfoundland on June 30. So looking forward to the trip!! My wife & I rode up there in 2017 and it was an incredible trip. I made contacts with many relatives that I had never met before and this time we will be spending more time with them. My brother has never been up there since the last time we as a family were there in 1969 and much has changed. St Johns is such a hip place!!

He will be on his Harley and me on my Wing.

Any recommendations for things you have seen? We will be in the southeast of NFLD.

Mark
How much time do you have? It's a huge province as you know. There may be a few ice bergs left then, and there is an app for that. ?Best bet is check at the visitor information centers, they are very helpful. Since you have been there, I don't have to tell you what kind of weather to be prepared for...I would play the weather and run the Peninsulas, and stop and talk to people. Newfie's are the best. Also, on the South East are the two French owned Islands. There is ferry service there. You can say you went to France...? I hope to do this with the wife. Good luck, send pics..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rich,

We are going to do 3 of the peninsulas and stay a bit on the Burin peninsula where we have family. We will likely go over to those islands you mentioned - St. Pierre and Miquelon. When I went to NFLD in 2017, I had perfect weather. Just one morning of pea soup fog (rode in it anyway) but otherwise perfect. People said we were lucky for that ... hoping to repeat it. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply Rich,

We are going to do 3 of the peninsulas and stay a bit on the Burin peninsula where we have family. We will likely go over to those islands you mentioned - St. Pierre and Miquelon. When I went to NFLD in 2017, I had perfect weather. Just one morning of pea soup fog (rode in it anyway) but otherwise perfect. People said we were lucky for that ... hoping to repeat it. Enjoy your trip!
Nice, what time frame in 2017? I need to bring my wife when it's nice....?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome trip. Rich and these pics are partially to blame for me being back in the gl8100 market. We met at a gas station someplace in Canada ~17 years ago, while were both touring solo on our relatively new gl1800's. Rich's texts/pics before and during this trip had me wishing I could have joined him... Still shopping... ;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome trip. Rich and these pics are partially to blame for me being back in the gl8100 market. We met at a gas station someplace in Canada ~17 years ago, while were both touring solo on our relatively new gl1800's. Rich's texts/pics before and during this trip had me wishing I could have joined him... Still shopping... ;)
HAHAHA! This is great news! Don and I met in Bailyville, Maine late June 2002 just before crossing the border into Canada. He was headed for PEI, and I was headed for Newfoundland for the first time, (ill prepared for the weather.) We both had 2001 Goldwings, both lived in NH at the time. Don came over and said hello. He mentioned a website regarding the newest generation Goldwing. I somehow remembered it, and logged onto it when I returned home. I did not know what what an Internet message board was then. I soon learned that Don was the "Boss" of the site then...I have learned a lot., thanks Don, and good luck! I am hoping you choose the latest version Wing, you will like it. Let me know when you are in NH, you give mine a proper test ride...The expense of a new one will encourage you to use it more and explore our beautiful continent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
... Don was the "Boss" of the site then...I have learned a lot., thanks Don, and good luck! I am hoping you choose the latest version Wing, you will like it. Let me know when you are in NH, you give mine a proper test ride...The expense of a new one will encourage you to use it more and explore our beautiful continent.
I don't know about the 'boss', I was the founder, but soon got help from Brian_Fenner, CTRCBOB and Highvoltage.

I just shared your 'new' wing comments with Cathy. I don't think she is pleased with you. ;)

PS: We'll be up in NH in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know about the 'boss', I was the founder, but soon got help from Brian_Fenner, CTRCBOB and Highvoltage.

I just shared your 'new' wing comments with Cathy. I don't think she is pleased with you. ;)

PS: We'll be up in NH in a couple of weeks
Hi Cathy!:grin2:0:) Life is short, and things can change fast, believe me. Buy an 1833 cc Goldwing...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts