GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Greater Cleveland area, we have massive LED signs that span our freeways at various points in the area. Those signs usually show the time and distance to specific landmarks, such as interchanges, so that drivers can determine how backed up the freeways are during rush hour. They also sometimes show messages, like Amber Alerts. As far as I know, these signs are used in all major Ohio cities.

I hopped on the freeway yesterday and got a pleasant surprise. On the signs, they had this message in two parts

Riding Season Begins

Watch out for Motorcycles

I was really impressed that our state is proactively trying to raise driver awareness of motorcycles. Good for you Ohio.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
In the Greater Cleveland area, we have massive LED signs that span our freeways at various points in the area. Those signs usually show the time and distance to specific landmarks, such as interchanges, so that drivers can determine how backed up the freeways are during rush hour. They also sometimes show messages, like Amber Alerts. As far as I know, these signs are used in all major Ohio cities.

I hopped on the freeway yesterday and got a pleasant surprise. On the signs, they had this message in two parts

Riding Season Begins

I was really impressed that our state is proactively trying to raise driver awareness of motorcycles. Good for you Ohio.
:thumbup::agree:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
They have been doing the same thing in Houston for a while now.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I got cut off by a Jeep a few years ago with a bumper sticker that read:
"Motorcycles are everywhere"
Signs don't mean squat if the drivers are unaware.
Drive like everyone is out to get you.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Heck, here in Memphis it's opening season for hunting!!---or at least it seems like it!
be careful out there!

here's something: a few days ago as I was about to make a turn onto a road, a motorcycle came over the little rise/hill just a short distance from me. The FIRST thing I saw was his HEADLIGHT, then the rest of the mc became noticeable! Now being a mc rider, I LOOK for motorcycles; and basically his headlight is what kept me from pulling out onto the road in front of him. Now I don't think it would have been an accident even if I had pulled out, but it would have been an attention getter for him if I had. Little old ladies, distracted teens/drivers would likely have not "seen" him, if not for his lights.

HIGH BEAMS CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE BY INCREASING YOUR VISIBILITY!!!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got cut off by a Jeep a few years ago with a bumper sticker that read:
"Motorcycles are everywhere"
Signs don't mean squat if the drivers are unaware.
Drive like everyone is out to get you.
It's not a cure all. Distracted drivers will still be distracted. But I think something this predominant might still have impact.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

Riding Season Begins

One good thing for Ohio, huh? :bow: (Other than OSU football of course) ?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Now if they would just raise their speed limits so I can get to the good riding areas faster, I'd be even more grateful. ;) :doorag:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
They have raised some of them. Can't write as many tickets with higher speed limits, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Saw these signs in Dayton And Cinci on way to Louisville KY yesterday.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
It's About Time

It's nice to see that some body is trying to look out for us. Thanks to Ohio. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
Now if they could just throw a little patch in them craters !! Long hard winter takes it s toll.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I saw signs like those in March going to Daytona FL and back. It's a good idea but you still have to ride like you are invisible and take care of yourself.
Lyle

·
Registered
644 Posts

Riding Season Begins

Saw the same thing on I-70 in Dayton yesterday

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I saw signs like those in March going to Daytona FL and back.
I've seen the signs pretty much all across the country. In many cases these awareness campaigns are the result of a $46 million dollar federal grant from the NHTSA. States can use the $$ only for motorcycle training and motorist awareness. Unlike some programs, there is no need for states to cough up matching funds, but they do have to offer some sort of structured motorcycle training and licensing. I don't know if helmet optional states can get the $$ or not...

In May, you will also start seeing/hearing these 'motorcycle awareness' campaigns on radio, television and in print. These campaigns are a direct result of collaborative work between the Center for Disease Control, NHTSA, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, NTSB and state governments. Up here in Maine they run almost non-stop during the riding season in all the different media.

NHTSA awarded $45.9 million in motorcyclist safety grants to states; Congress has allowed these funds
to be used for motorcyclist training and motorist awareness efforts only.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Been in Chicago all weekend. Talk about craters. Wow! Some over a foot deep. Should've taken pictures.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen the signs pretty much all across the country. In many cases these awareness campaigns are the result of a $46 million dollar federal grant from the NHTSA. States can use the $$ only for motorcycle training and motorist awareness. Unlike some programs, there is no need for states to cough up matching funds, but they do have to offer some sort of structured motorcycle training and licensing. I don't know if helmet optional states can get the $$ or not...

In May, you will also start seeing/hearing these 'motorcycle awareness' campaigns on radio, television and in print. These campaigns are a direct result of collaborative work between the Center for Disease Control, NHTSA, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, NTSB and state governments. Up here in Maine they run almost non-stop during the riding season in all the different media.

NHTSA awarded $45.9 million in motorcyclist safety grants to states; Congress has allowed these funds
to be used for motorcyclist training and motorist awareness efforts only.

That is good to hear. I hope the states take advantage of it. I hope they put some of it towards rider training instead of just advertising.

The messages that I saw would have been unrelated to the $46 million however. These signs were erected 4-5 years ago, and are also used for other messages.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
That is good to hear. I hope the states take advantage of it. I hope they put some of it towards rider training instead of just advertising.

The messages that I saw would have been unrelated to the $46 million however. These signs were erected 4-5 years ago, and are also used for other messages.
The NTSHA program that funds motorist awareness has been running for almost 8 years now. Was begun in 2006.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts