GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after almost 3 months I have my 04 back from the shifter fork repair!

And it rides WAY different! Now I can actually feel the gears click and lock into place. Something I can't recall ever feeling before.

I got it back at 2:30 and was off for a test run - made a short ride (about 100 miles) and what a DREAM! ! ! ! ! Tested shifting, cruise control, and all my bennies! Everything was EXCELLENT!

The dealer is still working on getting the work covered by warranty ( I paid for the bill - I agreed to and planned to keep my word). HOPEFULLY Honda's DSM will accidentally visit the dealership now LOL.

Damn it is nice to be back! ! ! !

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Dan18960 said:
Well after almost 3 months I have my 04 back from the shifter fork repair!

And it rides WAY different! Now I can actually feel the gears click and lock into place. Something I can't recall ever feeling before.

I got it back at 2:30 and was off for a test run - made a short ride (about 100 miles) and what a DREAM! ! ! ! ! Tested shifting, cruise control, and all my bennies! Everything was EXCELLENT!

The dealer is still working on getting the work covered by warranty ( I paid for the bill - I agreed to and planned to keep my word). HOPEFULLY Honda's DSM will accidentally visit the dealership now LOL.

Damn it is nice to be back! ! ! !

Not to be nosey, but how much did they charge you?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$3k for labor and parts.

One of the reasons I am being pig-headed about fighting for the warranty to credit me.

PLUS I have noticed a REAL change in the shifting in all the gears that was not evident previously.

The Planet Honda tech noted that right off the bat. Not having ridden other 1800's I thought the "sliding" shift was normal - apparently I was mistaken because now I feel the gears actually locking in at each shift and it feels GREAT.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What exactly do they do for $3k ?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
MJM said:
What exactly do they do for $3k ?
Pull the motor out of the frame and nearly disassemble the whole thing! Replace the bad parts, and reassemble it all. Not for the faint of heart! :shock:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TechDude has it correct. They had to pull the motor and tranny. To get to that they had to remove a LOT of tupperware.

The engine disassembled takes up a whole motorcycle lift! I am glad the tech who worked on it knew what he was doing - I would have had a ton of parts left over LOL.

With the weather staying warm as it is I am thinking of getting out for a nice couple of hundred mile run again today! Been REALLY too long :?

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
Your mechanic likely uncovered and hopefully retained some evidence that should help your cause in recovering under warranty status. The shifter forks being bent would acutally not help you since the typical initial assumption would be that such damage is related to operator error or abuse. But; if the slider rod/shaft was not straight and very smoothly finished; that could have been the huckelberry all along. I wonder; were the shifter forks actually distorted as compared to the new parts? Was there damage to surfaces upon which the engage paws slide. Was there an assembly error or shimming error in the origanal assembly? 3 grande is worth a little detective work!

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
Your mecahnic likely uncovered and hopefully retained some evidence that should help your cause in recovering under warranty status. The shifter forks being bent would acutally not help you since the typical initial assumption would be that such damage is related to operator error or abuse. But; if the slider rod/shaft was not straight and very smoothly finished; that could have been the huckelberry all along. I wonder; were the shifter forks actually distorted as compared to the new parts? Was there damage to surfaces upon which the engage paws slide. Was there an assembly error or shimming error in the origanal assembly? 3 grande is worth a little detective work!

prs
Exactly, for $3K I would demand to get the defective parts. If warranty covers it then who cares, but if you are left holding the bag, then at least get the old parts so you can see what is bent and what is not. :?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YEP it sure was!

Patrick is a champ also. I have made up my mine to make the 100 mile round trip for them to work on all my bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts