GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back for its 4th year by popular demand, the Mid-Atlantic Mob “Family” invites you to attend the 4th Annual Lead Pencil Run.

Here are the details:

WHAT: Southern Maryland, St. Mary’s County 2010 Oyster Festival
http://www.usoysterfest.com/

WHEN: October 14-16

http://www.usoysterfest.com/

ACCMODATIONS:
Comfort Inn
255 Lorre Road
Solomons, MD 20688
Phone: 410 326-6303

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-solomons-maryland-MD414

When calling to make your reservations, ask for the “Lead Pencil Run” and you will be all set. 20 rooms have been reserved and yes Virginia we were able to keep the same rate as last year, which was $72.89 plus tax. Not bad for a room that is near the water AND the Fire Pit.

So why do I want to come to Southern Maryland and enjoy some Oysters. Well, first of all, they will be local, as in right off the boat, and of course the best and biggest in the area, not to mention it's always a blast having them served up just about any way you want them.

The other reason of course is time well spent with the “Family.”

Where on earth can you spend several great days with a group like this? And this does not include the members back at the hotel who were getting everything ready for the nights camp fire cook out.

Speaking of camp inferno . . . I mean fire. If all goes according to plan, our Family arsonist, “SMOKEY” (Superjett we need you there buddy so start planning now) will once again be on hand to ensure that anything that is combustible . . . . I mean can fit in the fire ring will be burned to provide ample heat for most of surrounding area, can be seen by NASA, as well as for steaming more Oysters, Scallops, Chicken, and whatever else we can fit on the grill.

And speaking of hot, well, Smokey pulls double duty as the onsite Master Mixoligist for preparing some mouthwatering (as well as your eyes) Oyster Shooters. After a few of these babies, you better be careful cause with “that” sort of “Lead” running through your veins you darn sure better seek medical attention after 4 hours if you are still feeling the “affects.”

So, if plans allow stop on down, or up as the case may be, and join the Family for some good fun. If the past three years is any example, there is no way you should leave having not had a lot of laughs, or feeling hungry. And who knows, you might even be King for a Day. Or at least have your picture taken with one.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I can't believe

Jim,

If you'll have me, I'd be proud to attend your "family" FUNction. I've avoided most other trips this year, between paying for last years RG10 and next years Alaska trip, I've tried to stay home some. This however is irresistable. See you there.

Richard

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I got my room... poor poor pop and you got to have a CB and a goldwing to come this year no BMW

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
:excited:I have had mine and Becky's room for 3 months now. Since we are now "Family" I have a request. In that top photo, far right side, could you please photo-shop about 40 lbs off of my middle section? Please notify all the wimmens(specially Nancy) that if I'm still feeling the effects of said oysters after 4 hours I may need to phone a friend!!!LOL I hope Honda John can control himself a little better this year, pay attention to how smoooooth Tn Charlie:bow: ( a professional horn-dog) is and copy.:wrong: As Robeth would say--- party safely! Charley:nojoke:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Do I want lead in my pencil or gas in my pipes ??????? I think I will go with the lead.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Come on, fess up. Has all them oysters realy changed anything?
Wives only answer, we know the husbands answer.:roll:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
:excited:I have had mine and Becky's room for 3 months now. Since we are now "Family" I have a request. In that top photo, far right side, could you please photo-shop about 40 lbs off of my middle section? Please notify all the wimmens(specially Nancy) that if I'm still feeling the effects of said oysters after 4 hours I may need to phone a friend!!!LOL I hope Honda John can control himself a little better this year, pay attention to how smoooooth Tn Charlie:bow: ( a professional horn-dog) is and copy.:wrong: As Robeth would say--- party safely! Charley:nojoke:
I am standing in back of the 6'-2" guy....

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Jim
Sounds like fun wish i could make it.
It just so happens the Bryson City Chili Ride is the same weekend
and is the same time every year.
Maybe we can work it out sometime looks like fun.
Gary

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
campground

Jim,

Is there a convenient campground to the festivities? I may make this the 2nd half of a 2-week trip.

Richard

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim,

Is there a convenient campground to the festivities? I may make this the 2nd half of a 2-week trip.

Richard
Richard, would love to have you. Here are a few things I found while doing the ole Google thing. If you are Military, you might be in luck, otherwise, there are a couple "sort of" close by to the Hotel.

If you have your own Camper, and do not need electric, I think you might be able to use the parking lot like our two attendees did last year that came in the big (I mean really big) Moble Homes.

Things to do while in the area.
http://mdcamping.com/southern_attractions.htm

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Maryland/Solomons_Island.html

http://lodging.uptake.com/camping/maryland/callaway/take_it_easy_campground_24568916.html

Google of St. Mary’s, MD Camp Sites
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=camp+merryelande&fb=1&gl=us&hq=camp+merryelande&cid=0,0,2673022019572188369&ei=am1dTqrUOY71gAfqgKGaAg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=6&ved=0CBkQnwIwBQ

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim
Sounds like fun wish i could make it.
It just so happens the Bryson City Chili Ride is the same weekend
and is the same time every year.
Maybe we can work it out sometime looks like fun.
Gary

Hey Gary, maybe next time. Would love to have you guys. Enjoy your Chili and be very careful as I hear the "other" Chili is lurking ah bout. LOL

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Hope Solomons island is still there, if not we'll just go to Jim and Nancy's. LOL:wrong::joke::eek:4::excited: Charley

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Charlie's post imspired me to make a few lunch calls. I am happy to report that all is well and I should be getting a call soon to make arrangements for the bushel of Oysters for the Family.

Rooms are still avalible, and dry.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
:bow::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
camp

Jim,

I guess you and I have different things that come to mind when the word "camping" is used. As you can tell from the pic below, no one would confuse my camper for a motor home, and I'm guessing that the lodging facility would'nt be too enamored with me in their parking lot. I will get a reservation, thanks for the effort.

Richard

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim,

I guess you and I have different things that come to mind when the word "camping" is used. As you can tell from the pic below, no one would confuse my camper for a motor home, and I'm guessing that the lodging facility would'nt be too enamored with me in their parking lot. I will get a reservation, thanks for the effort.

Richard

:oops::oops: Hey Richard, I did a quick Google and must confess that I did not review each of the sites. Now seeing what ya go, you look like you could just as easily been camped out at the Hotel. Where we have the FIRE (you will need to be at least 200' away so as to not have the tent go up), is an open space area that would accommodate this set up nicely I think. Open grass and gravel lot with trees. I think you would be fine and the folks there know me now so I think it would work. I am sure you could use a room for showers (mine or someone's), and besides, they had two of the large buses that stayed on the parking lot with folks staying in them and did not mind. I say give it the ole college try. Just remember, stay away from Superjett's fire pit or you could end up with molten nylon.:22yikes:

Let me look through my pics from the previous years and see if I can post something that will give you an idea.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Richard, take a look at the following photos. The one shows the area just out the front door of the hotel and to the right. There is more area to the left as well. Notice off in the distance the telephone pole with the trees near by. Grassy area there as well and this is where the "action" happens. While not the best, the second photo gives you an idea. Hope this helps. These were taken during our second year when it rained for all three days but we had more fun then you would believe. Just a great time.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
thanks

Jim,

Thanks. Actually that looks ideal. It's just that most places frown on out of town squaters just pitchin their tent any old place that seems convenient. I'm certainly good with it, but if you should get a chance, and don't mind talking to the local officials (I hate getting rousted in the middle of the night) I'd appreciate it. However, if you're sure there's not a problem, then that's good enough for me.

Richard

1 - 20 of 115 Posts