GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, i bought a Harley and am trading in the Goldwing tomorrow. I got more than 35,000 miles on the Driveguard and am still at about 25% tread. Of course the dealer is making me put a new M/C tire on my spare wheel so it doesn't burst into flame before he can get it off the lot.

But Now I am in the market for a car tire on the Harley. There is very little out there besides the typical doom and gloom. I'm looking to get another drive guard but they don't exist in the 195/60-16 size CT to replace the 180/65-16. I've been out of the game lately and am wanting to know what's the consensus for car tires now (not the driveguard) both Run Flat and non Run Flat. What are you guys running now?

Yancy
Why don't you first enjoy the Harley experience with standard H.D. tires? You just bought a real piece of AMERICA. Go slow and get use to something magical, man!
I am really, really trying to be charitable, here. Look, I have Jap bikes, too. But when in Rome, do what Romans do! You're with The Motor Company, now. Proud tradition. Proud history. Solid American riders. Whether you're a cop, or an outlaw, there are certain things you just don't do with a new Harley! Want louder pipes? Cool! Want more power? Yeah, man! Want to put a f-in' CAR tire on your Harley? WTF???
There is a long running bias against Jap bike riders in the traditional Harley crowd. Basically, it follows this narrative: Jap bike riders are just wanna-bes. They just can't be regular bikers. They always are outliers. They always fall for the wierdo shxt. They just are incapable of being stand-up guys. This car tire crap is rooted in Jap bike cheapskate culture. Nerds who can't hang - get it? Don't fall into that hopeless characterization! I don't talk about Jap bike crap with my Harley friends! It just doesn't belong! Don't make the rest of us look like weird geeks!
Your embarking on a proud, loud AMERICAN tradition! Forget your damn Goldwing - start fresh, dude! You are home now - leave all that weird bshxt behind!
DON'T F-UP UR HOG!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I don't think i ever mentioned odometer but one would assume one goes with the other
Shag
--

If the odometer is reading too high and the speedo too low, for example, then when you get the speedo to read higher, the odo is now even further off. So while they both move in the same direction, where they start from keeps them from being equal accuracy.

--

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Why don't you first enjoy the Harley experience with standard H.D. tires? You just bought a real piece of AMERICA. Go slow and get use to something magical, man!
I am really, really trying to be charitable, here. Look, I have Jap bikes, too. But when in Rome, do what Romans do! You're with The Motor Company, now. Proud tradition. Proud history. Solid American riders. Whether you're a cop, or an outlaw, there are certain things you just don't do with a new Harley! Want louder pipes? Cool! Want more power? Yeah, man! Want to put a f-in' CAR tire on your Harley? WTF???
There is a long running bias against Jap bike riders in the traditional Harley crowd. Basically, it follows this narrative: Jap bike riders are just wanna-bes. They just can't be regular bikers. They always are outliers. They always fall for the wierdo shxt. They just are incapable of being stand-up guys. This car tire crap is rooted in Jap bike cheapskate culture. Nerds who can't hang - get it? Don't fall into that hopeless characterization! I don't talk about Jap bike crap with my Harley friends! It just doesn't belong! Don't make the rest of us look like weird geeks!
Your embarking on a proud, loud AMERICAN tradition! Forget your damn Goldwing - start fresh, dude! You are home now - leave all that weird bshxt behind!
DON'T F-UP UR HOG!!!

I put my most expensive and cherished pieces of equipment on that back seat of my motorcycle and if I bang her up then who will wash my underwear and do unmentionable things to my person.

Basically I REALLY was impressed with the car tire (Driveguard) on my Goldwing for many reasons but Safety of my passenger is my greatest concern, everything else is just gravy. I put 35,000+ miles on the Driveguard and when I traded it in the sales man wanted to know how much tread was left and how many miles. He nearly crapped his pants when I measured 6/32's and told him that was more than 35K miles. I gave him some tips on how to get comfortable with riding something like that had him and another salesman was going to put some miles on it to see what it was all about.

I have convinced at least 3 other goldwingers to go dark by swapping bikes, and there are at least 5 guys in the Harley Club here that are very interested in what I come up with (because of riding with them on the goldwing) with this Harley Darkside Endeavor.

There are a few Harley Darksiders but not as many as there are here on the GL1800 page where I started. While I've been off the board for a while and I've gone to the Harley Club, I've come to respect and appreciate the opinions I've been given here. And I place a lot of weight in the opinions I've been given because of the experience that is in you riders that give those opinions.

I'm not leaving I'm just riding another manufactures bike.

Shag

·
Registered
277 Posts
I 'm not leaving I'm just riding another manufactures bike.

Shag
I'm glad you can take the chiding - I figure that's what you'll hear from HOG, so I gave you a taste. I'll probably never agree with the car tire thing, but wish you well. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Apparantly there is no such thing as a RF in the size 195/60-16 that I am looking for. So i'm going non-runflat. Not too excited about that really, but it will be a tougher tire and MUCH cheaper than the M/C tire. Even if I get about the same mileage on the tire its about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.

I'm going with a tire that was mentioned a couple of times (albeit with no real air pressure recommendations) on a Harley Board, but I'm a little apprehensive about it. It's a Kumho ECSTA PA31.

Some recommendations around here that have been used successfully in the gold wing size that also were available in the size i needed were the Dunlop SP Sport 5000. I almost went that route but didn't for a couple of reasons. And the Pirelli Snow Control.

I really liked the Snow Control but it was a H rated tire. Does that pose a problem with side wall rigidity or overall wonkeyness?

I'm going to start at about 32 PSI on the NRF, any recommendations on air pressures?
Without reading through all the posts, the kumho is a square-edged tire. It was one of my first Darkside tires.

Good tire, long life, great wet traction. Only problem was at slow speeds it tried to follow the slope of the road, like a truck groove at an intersection. Pull up to the light and if you were on the slope of the groove it would try to pitch you over to that slope angle. You get used to it, put the drivegard, Yoko avid envignor and others are a more rounded profile.

However, my long distance riding partner who at the time was 73 went back to that tire because it helped hold the bike upright in stop and go traffic. He compensated at the intersection and made sure he was in the bottom of the groove.

But wanted to give you a heads up concerning the kumho.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I am really, really trying to be charitable, here. Look, I have Jap bikes, too. But when in Rome, do what Romans do! You're with The Motor Company, now. Proud tradition. Proud history. Solid American riders. Whether you're a cop, or an outlaw, there are certain things you just don't do with a new Harley! Want louder pipes? Cool! Want more power? Yeah, man! Want to put a f-in' CAR tire on your Harley? WTF??? ...
DON'T F-UP UR HOG!!!
You evidently never studied HD history. In the 49's, 50's and later used Volkswagen tires and other brands.

Shame history is no longer taught to the younger generation 😁🤣

·
Registered
277 Posts
You evidently never studied HD history. In the 49's, 50's and later used Volkswagen tires and other brands.

Shame history is no longer taught to the younger generation 😁🤣

View attachment 370509
That is fine - old Baby Boomers telling tales. Rode 'em right down to the cords! Right! We can talk all day about how great those old pans and shovels were, too. Yeah, right up until you want to ride. Then you jump on your new Honda Goldwing.
Talk about the Greatest Generation? Love to....
You want to know why they did that stuff? It wasn't to be different and they didn't call themselves "Dark Siders". They lived through the depression, and you did what you had to to keep from starving. Yuppies claiming that territory are so full of crap. My Dad had a '28 Harley. He got it for just a few bucks. He and his brothers went in together and rebuilt an old model T, so they would have a car - ANY car. He graduated high school, joined the Army and fought the Japs on Adack in the Aleutian Islands during WWII. They weren't fans of Japanese folks and Honda hadn't even thought of left over army generators back then.
Dad came home and loved his work on AMERICAN electronics. Not the cheap Jap electronics crap. His words.
But you know what? He also gave me rides on his Honda in the '60's, in Los Angeles traffic! Guess what? He would NEVER have condoned cobbling old car tires onto motorcycles in these modern times. Why? He knew he didn't have to. Times were better. He knew that he didn't have to INVENT reasons to cobble up stuff. Because he actually KNEW what it was like to scrape by for a living!
Our generation is getting to the age where we think we're in their class. We think we can sit and reminisce about the good old days, with some authority. Got news for you - we will NEVER know what those days were like! Old Baby Boomers today love to talk crap about ' the good old days' - as if they know! Advise for you: don't regurgitate what others, of unknown verocity say, to justify irresponsible behavior. Put a car tire on your gold wing - it doesn't matter to me. Do any fool thing that you and your buddies decide is clever, but your hot air don't fly here!

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I shortened the long post to get to the basics.

Don't think all baby boomers are the same. I grew up with outhouses and hand-pumped well water at the kitchen sink. I spent two years stationed at Adak. Have 23 deployments. And I remember mounting car tires on Harley's.

My previous post was meant to be humorous. This one isn't. It's okay to have a discussion on a difference of opinion. It's not okay to denigrate someone else when you know nothing about them.

If you're so anti-Japanese, and pro Harley, and think everyone is "full of hot air" - why are you on this board?

And by the way, the Japanese weren't on Adak... Aleutian Islands campaign - Wikipedia

·
Registered
277 Posts
I shortened the long post to get to the basics.

Don't think all baby boomers are the same. I grew up with outhouses and hand-pumped well water at the kitchen sink. I spent two years stationed at Adak. Have 23 deployments. And I remember mounting car tires on Harley's.

My previous post was meant to be humorous. This one isn't. It's okay to have a discussion on a difference of opinion. It's not okay to denigrate someone else when you know nothing about them.

If you're so anti-Japanese, and pro Harley, and think everyone is "full of hot air" - why are you on this board?

And by the way, the Japanese weren't on Adak... Aleutian Islands campaign - Wikipedia
He was stationed on Adak. He served in WWII. He was the one who fought the war, had hardships and yes, sometimes hated the Japanese.
I am responding to your intent, which was to tell me I didn't understand history. Your intent is "educate" me, because you know so much better.
Like putting car tires on a bike, when you are told not to.
Thanks for your service, but it wasn't during WWII. You are a Boomer, just like me. We may have had hardships, but you can't play the "times were tough" card if you are a Boomer. If you are of the greatest generation, you wouldn't be riding.
You say humorous, but insult with what you think I don't know. That isn't humor - it is arrogance.
So who is denigrating? If you mounted car tires on a Harley, you were not following Harley's recommendation, Harley has offerred motorcycle tires for most of their history. You aren't following any motorcycle manufacturer's recommendation, now. If you did it in the past, you weren't then.
So, to imply that I am stupid and don't know where my own father served. To supply, of all things "wikipedias history" is very stereotypically, Baby Boomer.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts