GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before my trip out west ( 7500 miles ) including a stop at WingDing on the way home, I bought a new set of rear Honda brake pads. ( I'm SURE the fronts are both OK cause I checked them, I think???
The morning I am leaving for the trip, I see the new pads hanging on the wall........geez, I thought I put them on. OH well, I'm sure they'll be fine. The rear pads held up well, but since coming home I've added another 1500 miles and today I heard a scraping noise. Pulled the front wheel and checked the pads and BOTH are paper thin!
I'm starting to scare myself. Before the trip I changed the air filter, new plugs, fresh coolant and brake fluid, new tires and I thought I had checked everything. Might need a nanny soon to wipe my chin. Sheesh!:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
LOL! But are you sure you did all that to the bike and not the cage?:p

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
In Pennsylvania, we have annual mandatory safety inspections, we call them "state inspections". Most people grouse about them for one reason or another, but as one too old to want to turn wrenches anymore, I rather like the fact that my favorite dealer, Lebanon Valley Cycles, tells me if the pads are getting thin. While there is a minimum thickness that the state mandates that forces replacement, they advise me as to whether the pads, if they pass, will not last a year.
Guess what, I tell them to replace 'em! I don't particularly want damaged rotors, ineffective brakes when doing the twisties, or that unexpected repair that's required on an emergency basis prior to an IBA ride or holiday weekend.
I just did a BB1500 this weekend. My better half joined me for the last 12 hours. It was comforting to know that Lebanon Valley Cycles caught the fact that my front brake pads were just about to fail the state inspection.
Not to say that those who do their own inspections are doing something wrong. I've always been keen to give credit to those who wrench their own bike. But, when you pay for something, you kinda expect more from those people.

·
Registered
812 Posts
In Pennsylvania, we have annual mandatory safety inspections, we call them "state inspections". Most people grouse about them for one reason or another, but as one too old to want to turn wrenches anymore, I rather like the fact that my favorite dealer, Lebanon Valley Cycles, tells me if the pads are getting thin. While there is a minimum thickness that the state mandates that forces replacement, they advise me as to whether the pads, if they pass, will not last a year.
While I live in a state that also has "annual inspections" as far as most actual safety concerns I consider them relatively useless. Our state inspection also include things like a test for how loud your bike is, which most dealers ignore.

If my bike passes, it passes. This is completely based on the time at which the test is conducted. If I decide to ride 4000 miles in the next month, which wears my brakes and tires down to a dangerous level I'm still perfectly "legal" in riding my bile without any brakes / tires for the next 11 months. Is it safe? No!! It's just legal.

I'm obviously not a believer in "state inspections". As long as you are safe (and quiet) for 1 day you're fine. The other 354 days whatever.

While state inspections do make sure that idiots are safe for a day, it doesn't really do anything for safety.

just my opinion.

jason

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I know what you mean....I think I remember last week changing my...or was that week before last...or maybe I was thinking it's about time to change the..what where we talking about??????
Here is some grannies for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv2MJgoiHT0

Oh sorry you said nanny not granny

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Are you sure you remembered to put gas in it?:lol:

Now... Where did I leave my wallet?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Check Your Fluids

You checked the bike. Good. Now check YOUR blood sugar, thyroid, O2 and testosterone levels. Any of those go off, and you'll forget more than your brake pads. :coffee1:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
while i live in a state that also has "annual inspections" as far as most actual safety concerns i consider them relatively useless. Our state inspection also include things like a test for how loud your bike is, which most dealers ignore.

If my bike passes, it passes. This is completely based on the time at which the test is conducted. If i decide to ride 4000 miles in the next month, which wears my brakes and tires down to a dangerous level i'm still perfectly "legal" in riding my bile without any brakes / tires for the next 11 months. Is it safe? No!! It's just legal.

I'm obviously not a believer in "state inspections". As long as you are safe (and quiet) for 1 day you're fine. The other :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4: 354 :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4: Days whatever.

While state inspections do make sure that idiots are safe for a day, it doesn't really do anything for safety.

Just my opinion.

Jason
sorry

·
Registered
758 Posts
You should join that organization for old folks and wings.

GWRRA, Grumpy Wingers Riding the Road Again...........:lol:

(Don't flame me, I'm a member and couldn't resist)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts