GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a wealth of knowlege and life experience here...so I turn to my extended family first for tips and hints in the art of relocating. I've taken a new position with the company I work for in Harrisburg PA, about 200 miles east of where I live now. I've never lived farther than 15 miles from where I live now....so it's all a little scary to me. I have 6-8 months to sell the house, find an apartment or house in Harrisburg for me, find another house or apartment for my other half here in Pittsburgh, get everything we want moved and the rest sold or thrown away. (hint...there will be lots of "good stuff" at he end of my driveway each Monday morning.)

I'll check with a few local realtors in the coming weeks to get an idea of how much we can get for the house in the required timeframe and what I need to do so it sells quickly. It will be a good move in the end but it seems like an overwhelming task right now.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Lucky,
From what I'm reading, you are moving into the Harrisburg area.
IF that's the case, do you really want to live in the burg or do are you interested in moving away from the city and in the country so to speak. And how far away would be willing to be from your job.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Lucky, there are plenty of nice places north/south/east and west of the 'burg and lots of price differences depending on where you choose! I'm about 10 miles south of the city along I-83. Housing here is anywhere from 200K and up.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Lucky,i dont know how fancy a place you are looking for but i live 24 miles north of harrisburg in a town called millersburg,i have a friend selling a really nice row home for i am guessing between 60 and 70 thousand.OLE YELLER MILLERSBURG PA

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
When it comes to real estate, "he who cares the least wins".

Try renting in H-burg at first. It won't be as time-critical for you to sell in Pitts and you can "try on" a few neighborhoods first.
Rent a place for your bike too.

I've moved, uh, let me count, 18 times. And keep getting better at it each time...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm not familiar with the "neighborhood" up there but having just relo'ed for the first time ever...

1. it is hard but when you look back it will seem like no big deal
2. get a good mover and pack everything carefully...take some pictures of stuff you care about before and packed
3. if you're like us, after doing it once (after living in the same area for 35 years...) you would consider it again. Home is where you make it and you can communicate so well these days with voice, email, IM, video...and you can visit just as easy. Staying in touch has never been simpler.

Good luck on YOUR adventure... mine's been FANTASTIC.

scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts