GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got home today from my first cross country road trip on my 2011 Wee Suzuki V-Strom 650A I got a few months back instead of buying the new 2012 Goldwing. If you recall I wanted to expand my riding so I purchase a dual sport bike rather than the new goldwing. Just spent 24 days - 7,153 miles on it and I'm very impressed with the Wee. It's no Wing but she equipped herself well

Anyway .. The story if you would like to read is here on my web page at the link below.

http://web.me.com/donnielewis/page6/page6.html

Look under "Just Completed" It's in two parts. I'm pretty verbose in my journal so if you don't want to read the whole thing just enjoy the pictures ... I would recommend reading the last two days of the trip .... very exciting time almost caught in some very bad weather every motorcyclist should be aware of.

Good to be home ... very exciting trip with lots of challenges to overcome.

Now that my Goldwing has had a 3-4 week rest it's time to get it back on the road.

Donnie

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Nice. :thumbup: The Wee is a solid bike with a huge following. It is said to do just about everything pretty well, a lot of bang for the buck. Looks and sounds like a good trip. Glad you had fun and are home safe.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Thanks for posting. This is the best post Ive seen on here in sometime!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great story.....hope your ankle is doing well.....as it turns out the wife and I rode our Wing from the New Orleans area to Vacaville, CA the week before you....spent the week of May 23-28 in Vacaville.......we too rode Hwy 50, from the East to the West, spent one night in Ely and then in Reno....rode through rain, sleet and snow.....and actually got all the stamps on my Hwy 50 Survival Guide.....left home with heat, rain and wind.....found cold (34 degree), sleet, snow and wind....returned to heat and wind......but we had fun and laughed a lot!!!

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Fantastic trip report Donnie, which I have followed from the start. Looks like you encountered a little bit of everything on this trip....one that you will remember forever. Happy to hear that you'll mend from the ankle injury and the Russell Seat did the trick to accommodate you comfort wise. I had the pleasure of seeing the Skynard Lynyard Band at a motorcycle rally in Winnemucca NV. about 6 yrs ago and thought they were great. I like you injured my foot once on a motorcycle trip while in OR and couldn't remove my riding boot for 2 days due to the swelling. Finally went to the ER and discovered I had cracked a small bone on the top of my rt. foot. That made for an interesting remainder of the trip. I just kept saying...are we having fun yet? The answer was a Big Yes. Well now you can start planning for next years visit/trip with your friend Russ. Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Donnie,

I always enjoy reading your travelogue and this trip's was especially good.

Remind me never to ride with you... you magnet of bad weather! :joke:

Hope you're ankle is feeling better. You might want to have it x-rayed again... you might have a stress fracture or a hairline that wasn't seen earlier. I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

We had that same line of storms pass through here yesterday in VA. I rode to lunch after church and when we came out after lunch, the squaw line was about a minute away. I grabbed the cycle cover, covered the Wing, and beat it for cover. It proceeded to blow rain sideways and HARD, and then turned to hail. Took out many-a-tree in the area, but luckily, no elementary schools.

Glad you're home safe and sound (sort of).

I love the road. I hope that one day I can ride it like you do.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for all the positive comments ... Glad to share my thoughts and experiences of my road trips with everyone. I'm blessed to be able to do them and each one is always a unique and memorable time. I think my stories will provide me great entertainment to read and re-live when the day comes I can no longer throw my leg over the bike and hit the open road ... curse that day.

Good advice about getting the ankle x-rayed again. In fact, will be getting to my doctor to have it checked again.

Donnie

·
Registered
999 Posts
Outstanding job of writing Donnie -- thank you making the time to write of your experiences on the road! It certainly allows the rest of us at home to ride along with you and that is greatly appreciated.

On April 5 I ran my hand over the table saw blade and severed my 2nd tendon in my right hand. On June 1 I was finally able to get back on my Wing and take a short ride, since then I've been able to increase my seat time every day and regain my confidence and strength. I had my last PT (physical terrorism) session yesterday, YES!

I'm now making motel reservations for my son and I as we annually make a one week trip every summer together, this year it's around Lake Superior, again, only this time going the other way ;) Will also make it to Rockies Gold in Sept.!! Hated losing April and May on the road but oh well.....

Thanks again for your efforts. And, get well soon so we can enjoy more of your trips.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Very nice write up and wonderful pictures.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Outstanding job of writing Donnie -- thank you making the time to write of your experiences on the road! It certainly allows the rest of us at home to ride along with you and that is greatly appreciated.

On April 5 I ran my hand over the table saw blade and severed my 2nd tendon in my right hand. On June 1 I was finally able to get back on my Wing and take a short ride, since then I've been able to increase my seat time every day and regain my confidence and strength. I had my last PT (physical terrorism) session yesterday, YES!

I'm now making motel reservations for my son and I as we annually make a one week trip every summer together, this year it's around Lake Superior, again, only this time going the other way ;) Will also make it to Rockies Gold in Sept.!! Hated losing April and May on the road but oh well.....

Thanks again for your efforts. And, get well soon so we can enjoy more of your trips.
Glad you enjoyed it .... Wow ... must have been tough getting through 2 months of no riding the Wing. Glad you've healed enough to start riding again ... and the trip with the Son should be priceless.

Donnie

Very nice write up and wonderful pictures.
Thanks ... glad you enjoyed it.

Donnie

·
Registered
628 Posts
Donnie,
Thanks for sharing! A truly Great post. :thumbup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for sharing that wonderful trip with us, Donnie.
My wife and I really enjoyed it, as we have been to many of the places, but you sure did have some memorable experiences !

Here's hoping the foot problem is now just about better.

Harryco.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts