GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nice new Kumho 195/55/16 run flat arrived via UPS Monday 4pm, after the longest weekend wait in history...

I'm not even sure if I said goodbye to my wife as I snatched it out of the brown clad guys hand and in one movement threw it in the back of my car with the spare wheel I bought from Trike Traders last week.

I visited five of the high street tire stores in an attempt to find one with a bead clamp tire changer willing to strip and fit my tire to no avail.

I eventually settled with the local motorcycle shop who had quoted me $25.00 including balancing which I thought I could improve on if I waved cash about, hence my preceding excursion.

I got there just under the wire before they closed and had the tire mounted, balance and back in my car in under 30mins.

After dinner I set about changing the wheel. What a farce. I didn't fancy removing my Kury highway pegs so I'd ruled out lying her down on the right side as so many have advocated, I'd decided center stand, max out the rear preload to 25, remove rear panel, amp etc. and roll it our backward was my way to go.

Apart from finding out that my pneumatic lug nut gun with the socket attached is the perfect length to jam the back of the gun against the inside of the left muffler as it unscrews the lug nuts, getting the wheel off was relatively uneventful.

Putting the new one on was a bit of a squeeze, but I found that manipulating the rear rotor to move the studs allowed the fatter section of the new Kumho to pass freely.

Sadly by the time it was torqued and all the dangly bits were refitted it was raining and dark so I postponed the inaugural ride until this morning.

My first impressions are very positive. After only a mile or so around the turns of our sub division I felt very comfortable with the new handling. It certainly feels different, but no more so than you'd notice changing from say a friends VTX or Harley or Triumph. It felt like it wants to go straight and I noticed a change in feedback through the inside handgrip on both left and right turns, nothing dramatic just a couple of pounds extra load maybe.

On the straight silent as anything, bearing in mind in our quiet little community I was for this test helmetless and at no more than 20 -25 mph, I heard mechanical sounds I'd never heard before.

At mega slow speed, coming over our 'Miami' kerb (poured and formed concrete gulley, 15" wide, 3" deep vee, never flush with blacktop surface) into our drive and garage I found handling to be very positive, and it felt more stable during this maneuver than the OEM tires ever did.

Anyway, later I'll run a bit at high speed, and put Janine on the back and report back here again.

In the meantime, please let me thank Murgie for the number, and all you guys who've been instrumental, whether you knew it or not, in making this a decision I'm comfortable with and excited about.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Welcome to the enlightened side.:yes1: You'll love it in Florida or wherever. First chance you get, go to a parking lot and do some tight turns, the slow speed stability that a CT offers will surprise you.

I explain it like this: With a motto tire you give handlebar input to a point then the bike falls into the turn. With a CT, it does nothing on it's own (except go straight). In other words the turn/lean is linear corresponding exactly to handlebar input only.

Wait till you set the big girl up on a straight and smooth road until you're riding on wet roads, that's where the CT really shines.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The nice new Kumho 195/55/16 run flat arrived via UPS Monday 4pm, after the longest weekend wait in history...

I'm not even sure if I said goodbye to my wife as I snatched it out of the brown clad guys hand and in one movement threw it in the back of my car with the spare wheel I bought from Trike Traders last week.

I visited five of the high street tire stores in an attempt to find one with a bead clamp tire changer willing to strip and fit my tire to no avail.

I eventually settled with the local motorcycle shop who had quoted me $25.00 including balancing which I thought I could improve on if I waved cash about, hence my preceding excursion.

I got there just under the wire before they closed and had the tire mounted, balance and back in my car in under 30mins.

After dinner I set about changing the wheel. What a farce. I didn't fancy removing my Kury highway pegs so I'd ruled out lying her down on the right side as so many have advocated, I'd decided center stand, max out the rear preload to 25, remove rear panel, amp etc. and roll it our backward was my way to go.

Apart from finding out that my pneumatic lug nut gun with the socket attached is the perfect length to jam the back of the gun against the inside of the left muffler as it unscrews the lug nuts, getting the wheel off was relatively uneventful.

Putting the new one on was a bit of a squeeze, but I found that manipulating the rear rotor to move the studs allowed the fatter section of the new Kumho to pass freely.

Sadly by the time it was torqued and all the dangly bits were refitted it was raining and dark so I postponed the inaugural ride until this morning.

My first impressions are very positive. After only a mile or so around the turns of our sub division I felt very comfortable with the new handling. It certainly feels different, but no more so than you'd notice changing from say a friends VTX or Harley or Triumph. It felt like it wants to go straight and I noticed a change in feedback through the inside handgrip on both left and right turns, nothing dramatic just a couple of pounds extra load maybe.

On the straight silent as anything, bearing in mind in our quiet little community I was for this test helmetless and at no more than 20 -25 mph, I heard mechanical sounds I'd never heard before.

At mega slow speed, coming over our 'Miami' kerb (poured and formed concrete gulley, 15" wide, 3" deep vee, never flush with blacktop surface) into our drive and garage I found handling to be very positive, and it felt more stable during this maneuver than the OEM tires ever did.

Anyway, later I'll run a bit at high speed, and put Janine on the back and report back here again.

In the meantime, please let me thank Murgie for the number, and all you guys who've been instrumental, whether you knew it or not, in making this a decision I'm comfortable with and excited about.

Thanks

John
I was laughing so hard when you mentioned:

I could picture that so perfect it just made me fall apart laughing. Thanks for the good humor, it always helps to hear these things happen to others instead of just me, so I dont feel so alone....
Keep us posted on your experience with the new CT.

Rick

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome Home......:yes::yes:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We are gaining ground, slowly but surely. Up to 282, will be 300 before we know it.

I am sure you will like the tire. I have gotten so used to mine, I prefer it to the MT. When I ride a bike with a MT I am afraid I will fall off. :joke: Naw not really,but I do prefer the CT. Especially two up, on the big slab and when the road is wet.

Kit

·
Registered
661 Posts
I too, am often amazed by the small bits of enlightenment acquired by turning my own wrenches. The odd chance that your air wrench would be a perfect fit, or the black hole in the fairing, where important widgets fall.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside. I'm sure you will love this tire, I know I do. After a few miles you won't know it's back there.

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Biggles 607,
Welcome to the enlightened "DARKSIDE" :biggrin: ! Be prepared for many smiles ahead as it only gets better from here on out :yes1: !

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
John, Good report, thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
:congrats:Biggles 607
Welcome aboard good report on the tire story. Don't worry we all have tools that get caught some were.:eek:4:
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
796 Posts
welcome! Glad to have you on the team. You will love the tire....I haven't regretted a moment on mine.

Looking forward to your comments on your longer rides. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your Decal....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good Move

And Welcome. I like mine too......

CW32B
Alexandria, VA

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update #1

Thanks for all your very positive responses and welcomes.

I've just returned from putting the first 100 miles on the new Kumho.

Janine was out, it's a glorious sunny day, so I finally had the opportunity put some miles on it solo to get used to the 'feel'.

The softness and silence of the ride I found very dramatic. We have a length of road between Kissimmee and St. Cloud that always gets a comment from the rear, it's abysmal, the surface is rutted, and grooved like a tire test track ought to be, imagine the ripples you see on sand dunes in the desert (Think Lawrence of Arabia) made of blacktop going across your path, well that's Neptune Road. Today I'd made it to the traffic lights at Kissimmee Park Road before I realized my spine had not endured the previous jarring I subjected it too. Hmmm, maybe there's something in this 'Darkside' after all..... :)

I took a few twisties rather spiritedly and found the response to be crisp and positive, although at high speed on the straight and flat sections I found my positioning to be less precise that normal, but that's just me not yet used to the steering inputs required.

I am more conscious of counter steering now in all sweeping turns, and I must say it feels very natural with the feedback through the bars being much better than before.

In a nutshell, I'm running it at 30 psi and have found the tire to be phenomenal, it instills even greater confidence in the machine and feels as sure footed as I've ever felt on a motorcycle.

I'm still learning as always, and it does feel slightly different but nowwhere near as I thought it might be. Tonight we're out for some dinner so it'll be the first time 2 up, I anticipate much praise for my decision over the headset and no change in the handling. I'll keep you posted.

John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Freebird

How do you join the Darkside?? Ive been on the site many times, but cant
find a place to actually join!!
thanks
Freebird
2001 Wing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts