GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley just recently released their $30K electric motorcycle. Now they have stop production and deliveries due to a problem.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
They'll get it worked out. Good that they caught it - whatever "it" is.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think it’s the auto-park switch. Man I’m old, an electric motorcycle, anyone up for a game of TRON? Just kidding I wouldn’t know how to. Anyway HD will make money on them and further the sport.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think it’s the auto-park switch. Man I’m old, an electric motorcycle, anyone up for a game of TRON? Just kidding I wouldn’t know how to. Anyway HD will make money on them and further the sport.
HD will make money off their name (I hear they make more by licensing their name than selling MC’s.)

Zero motorcycles out in California has been profitable selling electric bikes for something like 12 years. I test rode one in 2012. Once I was out of sight of the dealer I stopped at a stop sign, clicked it down into sport mode, and cranked the throttle hard. The bike almost tore itself out from under me. 100% torque at any RPM is something that deserves respect. It sells for around half of what an electric HD costs. If I win the lotto it is definitely going to be my second bike. :)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I'm looking forward to the electric GoldWing.
I'd just like a GW with an easier to change air filter. Which brings to mind a question. Do electric motorcycles have air filters? :shrug:

Reactions: wehrme

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'd just like a GW with an easier to change air filter. Which brings to mind a question. Do electric motorcycles have air filters? :shrug:
There is money to be made if someone just comes up with a external filter to replace the air-box one. With all the other 'accessory' **** that people come up with, this could be a real winner.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
HD will make money off their name (I hear they make more by licensing their name than selling MC’s.)

Zero motorcycles out in California has been profitable selling electric bikes for something like 12 years. I test rode one in 2012. Once I was out of sight of the dealer I stopped at a stop sign, clicked it down into sport mode, and cranked the throttle hard. The bike almost tore itself out from under me. 100% torque at any RPM is something that deserves respect. It sells for around half of what an electric HD costs. If I win the lotto it is definitely going to be my second bike. :)
Agree totally, but it got us talking about it. That’s the HD way.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would suspect that both of the guys that ordered one of these 'letric bikes are a little disappointed..!

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts
Wanna take bets on Harley's batteries leaking ???
IMO, I don't think HD is going to have problems with leaky batteries.

The Livewire problem appears to be with the AC charging system. Livewires can be charged via AC or DC fast charge. HD has not issued a "stop ride" on the bikes. They have advised Livewire owners not to charge the bike using the AC charging system until they get the "problem" sorted out.

The Level 3 DC fast charge station charges the battery to 80% in 40 minutes. This charging station is available at dealers. (Not all HD dealers have them)

The Level 1 charging system is 110V AC which is an overnight charge which typically would be done in the owners garage via a 110V outlet.

:doorag:

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
IMO, I don't think HD is going to have problems with leaky batteries.

The Livewire problem appears to be with the AC charging system. Livewires can be charged via AC or DC fast charge. HD has not issued a "stop ride" on the bikes. They have advised Livewire owners not to charge the bike using the AC charging system until they get the "problem" sorted out.

The Level 3 DC fast charge station charges the battery to 80% in 40 minutes. This charging station is available at dealers. (Not all HD dealers have them)

The Level 1 charging system is 110V AC which is an overnight charge which typically would be done in the owners garage via a 110V outlet.

:doorag:
I was joking about Harley's batteries leaking. I'm sure they won't.

Tesla has their new semi tractor. 4 motors, I'm assuming powering each rear wheel. With total GVW at 80,000lbs, it will do 0-60mph in 20-seconds. If there is a grade, it is fastest. Total fuel saving in a 2-year period $200,000. It will go 500 miles between charges.

https://www.tesla.com/semi

·
Registered
686 Posts
When Honda makes a Goldwing that will run all day on a battery I might take a look. Until then, I will stick with good old reliable gasoline power.:wink2:

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
When Honda makes a Goldwing that will run all day on a battery I might take a look. Until then, I will stick with good old reliable gasoline power.:wink2:
When Honda has a Goldwing that will run all day on a battery they MIGHT release it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts