GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I woke up from my nap this afternoon I could only recognize two things, the clock read 5:05 and it was very cloudy and looked like it was going to rain. One of the reasons for my nap in the first place was a steady rain that had been beating a rhythm outside my window for the past 2 hours. My first thought was "bummer", since I had planned to ride to my favorite Wing Stop for my Saturday night ritual.

I was still groggy when I stumbled into my office to put on my tennis shoes and head out in the cage when I suddenly had a vivid memory. It was a Friday night in 1977 and I was living in an $80 a month garage apartment in Midland, TX (a one-car garage that had been converted into a psuedo-living space). Every Friday night I would hop on my 1975 Suzuki 550 and ride a couple of miles to Poor John's BBQ, my favorite BBQ joint. It was never busy and I was always the only white person in the place. The Friday I was remembering was one in particular where I was eating BBQ ribs and watching the rain pouring down on my bike through the front door of the joint (which was usually left open).

This memory was just a flash and was just enough for me to say out loud "screw it, so what if I get wet?" I pulled off the sneakers and strapped on my new Alpinestars waterproof boots. I threw on my bright yellow Olympia air-mesh jacket (without the liner, I might add) and backed the Wing out onto the driveway. The streets were still wet from the earlier rain and before I got out of my neighborhood it started to sprinkle. It was 64 degrees and no wind, it was perfect. I wondered why I had been denying myself the joy of riding all these months just because of a little rain. Just last week, when it started to rain I ran from my bike like a Frenchman running from a pop gun.

It is about an 8 mile ride to my Wing Stop and I barely got wet behind my Tulsa +4 windshield. I sat and ate my 15 Lemmon Pepper wings looking out the front window of the Wing Stop at my Goldwing. The rain was starting to come down a little harder by the time I left for home. People looked at me strangely (which is nothing new) when I went out and threw a leg over the damp seat of my bike. On the ride home there was lightning and a little thunder and a fair amount of rain. Sure, I could have pulled over and waited for it to let up, or I could have stopped to put on my Frogg Toggs. But, I thought to myself "Hell no". When I pulled into the driveway the rain was coming down pretty good and I was fairly soaked. I could see my SO through her office window looking out at me like I was crazy. I pulled into the garage, grabbed some micro-fiber rags and began wiping down the bike. My jacket was pretty soaked but my Alpinestars, true to their claim, kept my feet completely dry and warm.

I think this was my most enjoyable and invigorating ride of the year.

·
Administrator
3,590 Posts
I'm with you. I must say that given my choice I'd rather not ride in the rain, but it my options are (1.) Ride in the rain or (2.) Stay home, I ride.

Monday night I attended my Woodworkers Club meeting. Toward the end of the meeting the formerly-dark skies burst open with a downpour, with lightening and thunder to match. Several of my friends offered me a ride home if I'd just push the bike into the shop. I declined, noting that if one were afraid to ride in the rain in Southeast Texas then one wouldn't ride much at all. Besides, it was only about 40 miles home.

We got about 3 inches of rain in an hour. I didn't mind getting wet (soaked, actually) but the poor visibility in a driving rain at night was difficult to say the least. Aside from the visibility aspect, I don't mind riding in the rain.

Glen

R

·
0 Posts
Nothing wrong with a little adventure. About a year or so ago I rode through a lightning to the ground rain storm on my way to work. It was great. Makes you feel totally alive (and the light show was fabulous). Was it dangerous for me to do this? Yes! Did I care? Yes. Wasn't expecting it but it was so damn cool.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ride is good even in rain

I rode today through N GA into TN and NC all in the rain just for the ride. Got wet, it was great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was in the Red oak,Ennis area today in the rain.I rode my vtx out there from waco to action powersports.Went to see an 07 Goldwing they hve nice bike but a little high for me.Put my vtx in craigslist today.The ride home was nice got caught in the rain but made it home.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Good move! I loved my VTX, but wanted a Wing more. Put my VTX on the VTXOA classifieds, was contacted within a week from the now proud owner, promptly took the money (last July) to a dealer and got a new '08 Wing. 11,000 miles later, still lovin' the Wing! Riding in the rain, cold, 2-up, is a whole new world.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I woke up from my nap this afternoon I could only recognize two things, the clock read 5:05 and it was very cloudy and looked like it was going to rain. One of the reasons for my nap in the first place was a steady rain that had been beating a rhythm outside my window for the past 2 hours. My first thought was "bummer", since I had planned to ride to my favorite Wing Stop for my Saturday night ritual.

I was still groggy when I stumbled into my office to put on my tennis shoes and head out in the cage when I suddenly had a vivid memory. It was a Friday night in 1977 and I was living in an $80 a month garage apartment in Midland, TX (a one-car garage that had been converted into a psuedo-living space). Every Friday night I would hop on my 1975 Suzuki 550 and ride a couple of miles to Poor John's BBQ, my favorite BBQ joint. It was never busy and I was always the only white person in the place. The Friday I was remembering was one in particular where I was eating BBQ ribs and watching the rain pouring down on my bike through the front door of the joint (which was usually left open).

This memory was just a flash and was just enough for me to say out loud "screw it, so what if I get wet?" I pulled off the sneakers and strapped on my new Alpinestars waterproof boots. I threw on my bright yellow Olympia air-mesh jacket (without the liner, I might add) and backed the Wing out onto the driveway. The streets were still wet from the earlier rain and before I got out of my neighborhood it started to sprinkle. It was 64 degrees and no wind, it was perfect. I wondered why I had been denying myself the joy of riding all these months just because of a little rain. Just last week, when it started to rain I ran from my bike like a Frenchman running from a pop gun.

It is about an 8 mile ride to my Wing Stop and I barely got wet behind my Tulsa +4 windshield. I sat and ate my 15 Lemmon Pepper wings looking out the front window of the Wing Stop at my Goldwing. The rain was starting to come down a little harder by the time I left for home. People looked at me strangely (which is nothing new) when I went out and threw a leg over the damp seat of my bike. On the ride home there was lightning and a little thunder and a fair amount of rain. Sure, I could have pulled over and waited for it to let up, or I could have stopped to put on my Frogg Toggs. But, I thought to myself "Hell no". When I pulled into the driveway the rain was coming down pretty good and I was fairly soaked. I could see my SO through her office window looking out at me like I was crazy. I pulled into the garage, grabbed some micro-fiber rags and began wiping down the bike. My jacket was pretty soaked but my Alpinestars, true to their claim, kept my feet completely dry and warm.

I think this was my most enjoyable and invigorating ride of the year.
:yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Good for you!

When the leader of the Central Maryland Riders Group pre-emptively cancelled a foot-hills ride for today (Saturday) on Friday afternoon due to "they're calling for rain and I for one don't want to get caught in it... only an idiot would purposely risk lives and safety to ride in the wet", I made enough stink to get me thrown out of the club and did a 300 mile ride myself anyway along the Mason-Dixon line in Pa. Only got sprinkled on, and the sun came out a few times. Riding in rain and other weather has its own rewards; I commute to work every day whether 18 degrees or 100 degrees, rain or shine (except ice) for 5 years when I junked my last Taurus, and wouldn't trade it for the world.

With care and caution, it's a great experience that definately makes you a better rider. Like climbing Everest... keep riding.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
I left the house this morning in a pouring rain and got in about a 200 mile ride in moderate to heavy downpours. Even managed to get some lightening and thunderstorms to boot. Was a great day for a ride.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Yep, like Galute DrKeds and I got in about 200 in light to heavy rain most of the way. I found out I need some "real" waterproof gloves and that I need to put the Walmart seat cushion away when it's gonna rain.:rolleyes: The thing catches and holds water.

I also need to figure out a way to keep water from dripping onto my nose through the Nolan N-102.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's a nice read; enjoy life!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think that here in NJ if you won't ride in rain, then you may not get a chance to ride at all. One good thing about the wing is that it's a very easy bike to clean compared to the v-twins. Only thing about rain is wait till it's been raining for a while to get that oil off the pavement and beware that everyone has limited visibility and probably the cages aren't going to be expecting you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts