GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be when I start wondering about where to make a big ride in 2007.

The last two years we have done the "Solitary" ride and this year I think I want to do something else. So this year it is going to be the "Serendipity" ride.

ser·en·dip·i·ty:

–noun 1. an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident.
2. good fortune; luck: the serendipity of getting the first job she applied for.

So I am not sure how that is going to work out but I think its gonna mean that I start out with no exact destination in mind. Just some wide open spaces.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
How about heading out in the vicinity of Rockies Gold in late July and then have no destination in mind. That sounds like a plan for me. Wake up and check the weather and ride accordingly. Nothing like it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulldog,

The ride we did this year was about 90% on small 2 lane roads and we saw stuff that was so beautiful but there was no one there to appreciate it but us. I would love to do that again.

There is something to be said for being in so many lonely places that are so beautiful.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My plan is Rocky gold and then a few days hitting some out of way places in Utah. Then maybe down to arizona on the way home, long way. Tim

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am going with a few other riders to Prudahoe Bay Alaska in May of 2007 via the Yukon.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Hal,

You might think about some great riding in Colorado and Utah, perhaps northern Idaho also. If you come to Colorado I think that you'll find some good hanging and riding at Rockies-Gold (http://rockies-gold.net ). No duties for anyone, so if you think you might want to hang and ride, come on out. Several folks coming from Florida also. And if you want to keep it low-key, just make your reservations and let me know. If you check the attendees, I think that there might be a few folks coming that you know. Also, check the "Montrose Rides" page and I think that you might be tempted.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
. . . .So I am not sure how that is going to work out but I think its gonna mean that I start out with no exact destination in mind. Just some wide open spaces.
I have three bits of advice:

1. Just pack enough gear for a few weeks, bring your cell phone charger and head out.

2. If you stay in motels with the weather channel then plan the day's ride to avoid sandstorms, thunderstorms or temps above 100°F. (Note: all three can happen in one afternoon in Arizona.)

3. Go where you haven’t been.

Oh, if you get to Washington (the state, not DC) try to make some time to take a ferry ride. That will pretty well guarantee some less traveled routes. (Do any Interstates terminate at a ferry dock?)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Someone on the VTX board made a suggestion and this may have possibilities:

Take a set of dice and mark one with the compass directions, mark the other with mileage points-such as 100,200,300, etc.

Then roll the dice and go where the dice tell you: such as North 500 miles. Then just keep on rolling. Serendipity at its best.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

Take a set of dice and mark one with the compass directions, mark the other with mileage points-such as 100,200,300, etc.

Then roll the dice and go where the dice tell you: such as North 500 miles. Then just keep on rolling. Serendipity at its best.
Just don't roll East 500 miles, at least if you're in Florida at the time. :wink:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
[quote="Hal @ Honda Direct Line":3t4yvv7f]Someone on the VTX board made a suggestion and this may have possibilities:

Just don't roll East 500 miles, at least if you're in Florida at the time. :wink:[/quote:3t4yvv7f]

I thought about that and I think the rule would be that if a destination that comes up is unaccessible then you go with the opposite direction or roll again.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

I don't kinow Hal. There are great places, good places, and to be candid, some really crappy places (compared to the great and good places) to ride a bike. I'd rather make sure that I go to some of the better places vs. leaving it to the roll of the dice. Then again, that might be interesting.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wingnutzz said:

I don't kinow Hal. There are great places, good places, and to be candid, some really crappy places (compared to the great and good places) to ride a bike. I'd rather make sure that I go to some of the better places vs. leaving it to the roll of the dice. Then again, that might be interesting.
Hmm.......The key here is serendipity...........and without any expectations how could you be disappointted.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hey Hal,

Any day riding is a good day and you have described the best days go with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hal,

Stop at a diner... any diner and ask a waitress... any waitress "If you had a couple days off where would you go?"

·
Registered
230 Posts
My wife and I and another couple are going to do a circle tour of the Gaspe' Peninsula and parts of Quebec in July.....Aways room for more to join 8)

Todd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts