GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have a bunch of songs loaded into our ipod nano which I understand are mp4 (or m4p?) files. Just getting a gps that will take mp3 files, so it looks like I need some sort of converter to convert the file formats.

Any good file format converters out there? Any advise or input appreciated.

Best Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
45 Posts
m4p to mp3 converter

I use a program called "tunebite. It is a $18.00, or so , download. It does a good job, but can miss some beats on a few songs. I guess for the money it does a good job. You can download from this site. http://www.tunebite.com/en/tunebite/ind ... liate=1002
Ride Safe, Kevin

·
Registered
705 Posts
get DPoweramp it will convert bik

when you download it might not have all of the codecs. Just go their website and download the additional codecs you need like WMA, mp4, aau, RA then click on them and they will install to the software app.

I have run this for over 3 years and never missed a beat, its free

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks to the discussion on this thread, I got the idea to go online and find the right CODEC to plug in to my Cool Edit Pro software, so now I have the capability to edit and tweak my AAC iTunes files just the way I want 'em. Very nice. Thanks, gentlemen! (Sorry, I don't have the link handy, but you might be able to find it with a decent search engine.)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find a codec for the dbpoweramp program that would do m4p files (which it seems are different from mp4's).

So, to answer my own question and perhaps help someone else in the future, I found a program for $15 called wma convert platinum that does the job and converts them to mp3's easily. It also does entire file/folder structures so I just clicked my main folder in itunes and let it go to work for a few hours. Now I can listen to all my music on the gps. Nice, and well worth the $15.

Chris

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cliflyri said:
Hello,

We have a bunch of songs loaded into our ipod nano which I understand are mp4 (or m4p?) files. Just getting a gps that will take mp3 files, so it looks like I need some sort of converter to convert the file formats.

Any good file format converters out there? Any advise or input appreciated.

Best Regards,
Chris
Your itunes program will convert them for you. Go into the settings area and look for your conversion choices. Then select your songs and they will be duplicated in itunes in mp3. Just remember if you don't erase them from itunes, next time you sync your nano you will have duplicate songs. One in mp4 or AAC as Apple calls it, the other in mp3.

I have been using ipods and itunes for years.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Starman,
I can't find that area in itunes. The only thing I found was on the 'import' tab under preferences -> advanced, but it says the settings don't apply to music downloaded from the itunes store which is where I got all my music from. Maybe I'm missing something. I have a bunch of itunes music already and needed to convert the M4p files to Mp3's.

JimRo,
I'm sure you know much more about this than I do, but the codecs I was seeing were for Mp4's and the itunes songs I downloaded were M4p's which it seems are some sort of apple protected file. I did download and install the Mp4 codec, but it wouldn't recognize the M4p itunes music.

Anyway, I got them all converted with that $15 program I mentioned above. It would be great if I could do it right in itunes though.

Chris

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
starman said:
our itunes program will convert them for you. Go into the settings area and look for your conversion choices. Then select your songs and they will be duplicated in itunes in mp3. Just remember if you don't erase them from itunes, next time you sync your nano you will have duplicate songs. One in mp4 or AAC as Apple calls it, the other in mp3.

I have been using ipods and itunes for years.
The only thing I could find was burning a disk in mp3 format. Is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cliflyri said:
Starman,
I can't find that area in itunes. The only thing I found was on the 'import' tab under preferences -> advanced, but it says the settings don't apply to music downloaded from the itunes store which is where I got all my music from. Maybe I'm missing something. I have a bunch of itunes music already and needed to convert the M4p files to Mp3's.

JimRo,
I'm sure you know much more about this than I do, but the codecs I was seeing were for Mp4's and the itunes songs I downloaded were M4p's which it seems are some sort of apple protected file. I did download and install the Mp4 codec, but it wouldn't recognize the M4p itunes music.

Anyway, I got them all converted with that $15 program I mentioned above. It would be great if I could do it right in itunes though.

Chris
I went to itunes and it was even easier... For the future.

If your files have been ripped in Mp4 simply highlight the files you want right click with the mouse and one of your choices will be to convert to mp3.

It is that easy... I'm presuming you have a recent version of I tunes?

Good Luck, next time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If I understand the question correctly, the songs you want to convert are purchased songs from the iTunes store. You cannot convert the .m4p files (the 'p' stands for PROTECTED) into .mp3 files. However: You CAN burn the songs as an audio CD and then re-import them into your library as .mp3 files.

Always a way around.

Aug

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
aug said:
If I understand the question correctly, the songs you want to convert are purchased songs from the iTunes store. You cannot convert the .m4p files (the 'p' stands for PROTECTED) into .mp3 files. However: You CAN burn the songs as an audio CD and then re-import them into your library as .mp3 files.

Always a way around.

Aug
The "p" does not stand for protected. mp4 is a file extension for the MPEG 4 Layer 4 Audio format. MPEG stands for Motion Picture Experts Group.

I had also alway thought that mp4 files downloaded from I-Tunes were copy protected, but I have never had any trouble copying them, so I don't know what the deal is. I never use the I-Tunes store anyway, so I don't know a great deal about it.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Here's how to do it:

Open i-Tunes
Click Edit
Click Preferences
Click Advanced
Click Importing
Click Import Using
Choose Mp3
Click OK

Now i-Tunes will convert everything imported to Mp3

Or you can covert songs already on i-Tunes by right clicking on the song and clicking on "Convert to Mp3."

Or click on Advanced at the top and click on "Convert selection to Mp3."

So far none of these will convert songs purchased from the i-Tunes store because they are M4Ps and are protected.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sometimes we overwhelm ourselves here with the amount if info you can get if

you just ask. Somebody here always has an answer a solution or a direction to look

can't beat this forum, LOL

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LarryM said:
The "p" does not stand for protected. mp4 is a file extension for the MPEG 4 Layer 4 Audio format. MPEG stands for Motion Picture Experts Group.
But we're not talking about MP4's we are talking about M4P's purchased from the itunes store.

ddking said:
So far none of these will convert songs purchased from the i-Tunes store because they are M4Ps and are protected.
Thanks for checking this out Dan. I would have wasted my time trying it on the next round of songs I purchased. That converter program I bought works real well, and a feature I really like is it will convert entire folder/subfolder structures keeping them intact AND the output is a copy placed in a folder you specify, so the originals remain untouched/unconverted.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
ddking said:
Here's how to do it:

Open i-Tunes
Click Edit
Click Preferences
Click Advanced
Click Importing
Click Import Using
Choose Mp3
Click OK

Now i-Tunes will convert everything imported to Mp3

Or you can covert songs already on i-Tunes by right clicking on the song and clicking on "Convert to Mp3."

Or click on Advanced at the top and click on "Convert selection to Mp3."

The above steps will work for M4Ps if you first burn an audo cd. This converts the M4P into a WAV file. When you have finished burning the cd, which takes a bit of time, you can then reinsert it into the computer, open iTunes and import the songs from the disk. They will import as MP3. Again, it takes a bit of time.

When I did this, the songs came in without titles, performers, etc. I don't know how to do that and neither does my son. Thanks to him though, I can now play the 32 iTunes songs I have on my Mp3 player.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ddking said:
When I did this, the songs came in without titles, performers, etc. I don't know how to do that and neither does my son. Thanks to him though, I can now play the 32 iTunes songs I have on my Mp3 player.
Dan,

Check out that program I used. It converts all the songs to Mp3's automatically with no need to burn to CD. It also leaves the originals intact and it preserves the titles, performers, etc in the Mp3 file. I can't remember if the cover art was preserved in the Mp3, but all the title and artist information was for sure. I've got over 150 songs, all converted automatically and all playing just fine on my new GPS. The program was only $15 and an immediate download.

Best Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
ddking said:
Windows allows you change the names, titles, genres, etc. of mp3 files. Right click on the file, select "Properties", and select "advanced" or "details" or whatever it is, and you can add whatever info you want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts