GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Chris, since I only have 32 iTunes songs and won't be buying more, I'll live with it...OR...

John, I'll look into that to solve the problem. I'm unemployed and a cheapskate so I'll just keep the $15.
:lol:

and, John, Aaron Shust is playing in Vegas March 4. He's ok, but if you go, make sure that you say hi to the fantastic bass player...Brian Duffy...and tell him his father is proud of him.

http://www.aaronshust.com/tour-157.htm

·
Registered
124 Posts
I read all the time on this forum and others about iTunes being able to convert to mp3 format. iTunes WILL NOT directly convert M4P files without first burning them to a CD, then ripping them back as MP3s. The tunes that you buy and download from iTunes are in a protected format - M4P.

I have tried many programs that advertise they will convert any file to MP3, but the ONLY one I've found that works 100% is SoundTaxi.

http://www.soundtaxi.info/

I bought it when I got my Nuvi660 and promptly converted 565 tunes, many of which were/are M4P format to MP3 and play them on the MP3 player.

It's a free download to try, though very limited, but cost is only $14.95.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
For clarification, any tune that you've loaded into iTunes in m4p format from you own CD's CAN be converted to mp3's by iTunes. The only files that can't be thus converted are tunes you've downloaded from the iTunes store. For those files, you will need some other type of software.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
wa5rng said:
I read all the time on this forum and others about iTunes being able to convert to mp3 format. iTunes WILL NOT convert M4P files. The tunes that you buy and download from iTunes are in a protected format - M4P.
You are correct that iTunes will not covert m4p directly to mp3. But it will burn m4ps onto a disk in a WAV format. You can them import them back onto iTunes as mp3s by setting the preferences to do so.

All my m4ps were converted to mp3s in this fashion. They just lost all the info describing title, performer, etc. but will now play on my mp3 player. I don't really care about the info but it would be frustrating if I had thousands of iTunes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ddking said:
You are correct that iTunes will not covert m4p directly to mp3. But it will burn m4ps onto a disk in a WAV format. You can them import them back onto iTunes as mp3s by setting the preferences to do so.
Yes, you're right. I should have acknowledged that going the burn-to-CD-rip-back-to-computer route works, but that's a little impractical when your talking about hundreds of M4P files.

·
Registered
211 Posts
wa5rng said:
I read all the time on this forum and others about iTunes being able to convert to mp3 format. iTunes WILL NOT directly convert M4P files without first burning them to a CD, then ripping them back as MP3s. The tunes that you buy and download from iTunes are in a protected format - M4P.

Like I said. Big difference between mp4 and m4p.

Thank you.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts