GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to plan a trip to the Grand Canyon and surrounding areas but not sure how I was going to do it. The idea of riding from Massachusetts out there would be great, except that my wife did not want to make that trip. She would have been willing to fly out west and meet me there but she was not wild about me riding for two weeks back and forth by myself.
We looked into the Edelweiss Bike Tours and at first decided it was to expensive. But after looking at all the options, and realizing that we may really enjoy the tour when most everything is taken care of for us and all we had to do was ride and sight see, we decided to take the plunge.
So we book the tour of the Grand Canyon for next September. This means that there are no more toys for the bike, and I will need to save my money for this great sounding trip. It is a good thing that I basically have the bike set up exactly the way I want it :p
It does mean that I probably will not be going to Cats-Cade this year, but one has to make tough choices sometimes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh the decision we have to make. The Grand Canyon tour looks like a lot of fun and the makings for a very memorable time, I'm jealous.

I hope you have a safe and wonderful vacation. Post some pictures when its all over.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I can't imagine not buying any toys for my bike for a whole year. You Sir have willpower!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:wink:

Sometimes we have to all "suck it up" make the right decision and have plenty of pics to post when ya get back. :wink: 8)

:flg:

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
I had a chance to go up in the Space shuttle for a June 2, 2007 launch, but I declined because I have already made reservations at the Days Inn in Liberty for Cats-Cade, and to settle a little score with an over zealous "Hotel Manager" who needs a lesson in human goodness!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock: :shock: :shock:

BTW,

Have fun Desert Southwest is BEAUTIFUL!!! :D

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Matt you get back over to the Goodbye Wingland thread and stop the madness puullleeezzzz.This could be the thread from hell. :lol:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Matt

You, my friend, have made the right choice. :beer2:

T-Bear, sounds like a great trip. We hope to be able to get there next year as well. Had planned to go this year, but changed plans and went north. I too would have trouble going a year without "items" for the bike. Good luck.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
White Gold said:
Matt you get back over to the Goodbye Wingland thread and stop the madness puullleeezzzz.This could be the thread from hell. :lol:
That guy is totally out of control!!! Lord knows I tried to talk some sense to him!! LOL

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock:

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
Wheels said:
Matt

You, my friend, have made the right choice. :beer2:

T-Bear, sounds like a great trip. We hope to be able to get there next year as well. Had planned to go this year, but changed plans and went north. I too would have trouble going a year without "items" for the bike. Good luck.

Never a better decision was ever made, Lookin good Wheels hope to see you there... Ya gonna make it??

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:roll:

Matt,
Don't waste yer time with that guy, I'm not even lookin' at that stupid thread anymore. :roll: :wink:

Hey Wheels,
Is that yer daughter behind ya?? I really like yer new avatar, my 5 year old grandson says his looks better than yours though, he has added some cool stickers. :wink: :lol:

:flg:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Good luck Dan.. Sounds like a great trip!! Enjoy!! Flying in, you'll have more time for "productive" touring!! Would also be a good chance to give another type of bike a try!! We'll miss ya at Catscade...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the encouragement.

PunkinWing, you are right. I will have a full 7 days of touring with my lovely wife and get to play on a BMW R1200RT.

If I rode the whole way there I would love it but probably would be somewhat tired. I would also be trying to fit what I can in, at the same time knowing that I have a very limited time and have to ride back to the east coast. This should be much more relaxing, and most importantly my wife is looking forward to it. Like they say, "If Mama's happy, Papa's happy" :yes:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
You'd be surprised how fast you'd end up out there. I just got done with 3500 miles in 10 days and spent what seemed like most of my time in resteraunts, motels or looking over scenic vistas. The trip is part of the adventure.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree PoleCat,
I still plan on doing this one day, but not this time. This has stopped being MY trip and has become OUR trip.
Maybe next time it will be MY trip and I will ride the whole way on the Wing.

The plus side is that no matter how I do this it should be great :p

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
You're doing better than me. I can't get my wife to do an over nighter let alone a cross country. Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Matt

Cats-Cade was not only one of my first rally events, but also one of my first long distance rides. It was a blast on both accounts and I met some really great folks, you included. :lol: NO WAY will I miss this. 8) I too have a score to settle (see if it takes as long this time :beer8: ). Counting the days. Regret that I missed the BBQ, put we lost my wife's brother that week.

Speaking of my lovely wife, you scored major points ******* Dave. Believe it or not, I am the "younger man." I like to think of myself as that Kutcher guy. I am still laughing about being called out by a 5-year-old. You just tell that youngster that I can peddle my three wheeler faster then he can. So there! :lol:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
t-bear,

Here is a great way to save your money... Hop on the bike, leave the wife at home, stop by my house and pick up my wife (she likes to ride) and bring her back in a couple weeks. She enjoys the West and will show you all the good places. Coffee and one meal a day will keep her going (Meal=store bought sandwich) She will never complain, yell at you or call you any bad names. At the end of each day, she will tell you how great of a rider you are. :lol:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KA7W
Sounds like a great woman, if I hadn't just sent this link to my wife I would think about taking you up on this. I would even provide two meels a day :lol:
You said:
She will never complain, yell at you or call you any bad names.
is this accomplished with duck tape :bow: you are the man!!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
No, you have to sign an agreement that you won't feed her more than once a day.

Two years ago a guy bought her two meals a day and she didn't come home for over 3 months. House was a mess !!

But you will never hear anything bad from her !!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
T-Bear and Mrs. Bear,

Congrats on making the plans. Hope your experience is 101% of your expectations.

Now about Cats-Cade. You are not excused. You still have got to make the attempt at being here.

Dawg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts