GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching, and found a place that has tires for the GL1800. They're still backordered on Dunlop E3's, but they have Dunlop D250's, Metzeler ME880's, and Avon Venom's.
My local supplier has been able to get hold of rear tires for all three of those for a long time, in both the 60 and 70 series, so I didn't ask whether this supplier had rears or not. The supplier is: Tires Unlimited
I ordered a Metzeler ME880 front, and it will be here next week. Woohoo!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Got a new set of 880s in the garage, ordered them from Hal during the Labor Day sale. Seems he has tires as well.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Recieved Stones from Cruiser Customizing 2 days ago. Was waiting for 3 weeks...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To hear some people tell it, there aren't tires of any kind available for the 1800. I'm glad you've found some.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I also bought tires (Stones 709/704) during HDL's Labor Day sale. Got them in less than a week. Go HDL!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I received a new set of 'stones from Americanmototire.com after about a 3 week wait and at a fair price. No E-3's were to be had.

If I thought HAL would have had them, I would have ordered them there over Labor Day Weekend.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I will bet that you find the '880 to be a great tire; those owners with whom I have spoken have no complaints and ample praise for them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything I've heard has been good, too. That's why I gave up on the Dunlop E3's. I wonder if Dunlop has thought about how much business they're losing by forcing people into other manufacturers tires? If I like the Metzelers, I'll stick with them in the future, too. The tread pattern appears to be a little more aggressive, which I have to think will help in the rain.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I guess that I really understand this tire thing. We were out for a good weekend ride that covered, a big area of North Central Texas. We stopped at a few Bike shops ( all of them,Honda, Kaw,Sus,Yah) I will be needing a front tire some time in the next 8K or so. So I just looked around for tires , while the others drooled over the bikes.

What I found is sure contradicting what I have been reading here. Ft Worth Honda West had E3's out the ass and D250's, Avon's Galore all in all sizes, He or the sister store Suzuki West even had 4 sets of E2's that the parts guy told me that they couldn't give away!! they have been on sale for ever he said. A little pricy I thought at $125 ea????? At the Glen Rose Suzuki shop, had More tires in the back than one could count in a day, of all types and sizes. I had ask for just the size 130/70 X18 Radial or Bias, his computer showed 63 in that size in stock. He didn't break it down cause by then I was getting board with it. Waco TX. Same story, all kind of tires for the 1800's ( FRONT That is ) I can get rears any where even Wal Mart.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe it's a conceived shortage. Some shops are out of stock and back ordered, so everyone assumes all shops are. I had tried to buy tires locally and couldn't find a front tire for an 1800 for any price. I had to go online to find one.
Some places apparently carry a big enough inventory of them that they haven't felt the shortage yet.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I now have more than 150 miles on the new ME880's and they are still doing OK. Actually, they ride and handle better than the D250's (I expected that!)and, now that they are reasonably broken in, they are starting to really show their stuff. I rode to/from work yesterday and had a chance to ride a bit more agressively - the difference is really amazing. I am eager to see how they do after several thousand miles are accumulated on them.

I will guess that the Avon and Dunlop radials for the GL1800 are just as much of an improvement, each in their own way. It all boils down to preference and availability at the time of need for new tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
tires

Just returned from from Mena, Ark, and Broken Bow, Ok and had a new Mezt 880 waiting for me at Eddie Hill Fun Cycles in Wichita Falls Tx. Whats the deal on tires. Eddies is cheaper then the internet and only carries fresh tires

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears there's a shortage, overall. However, some places still have inventory left from before the incoming shipments stopped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts