GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the posts here and listening to comments talking to friends of mine I have decided on the Gramin 2820. I liked the I Lowrance 500c esp the Screen size but I have seen to many QC issues with the product etc. Also like The Garmin Cust Support, I spoke to them yesterday, they were more than helpful

So whats the cheapest price anybody has seen for this little devil

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Do you want the XM services as well as the GPS? If so, you'll need the GXM-30 antenna.

I'm not sure about the 'big retailers', but my price on the GPS & antenna is $980.

You're also going to need a mounting system of some sort as well as the Kennedy gear if you want to fully integrate the unit to the audio system.

Feel free to contact me via e-mail if you'd like to discuss a bundled package price for all of these items.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. However, the only thing I want is the Kennedy Cell set so I can run my Mp3 player off the aux like I do today. No XM radio. I have an MP3 player and 1200CD's sound edited and converted to play on the bike which I do very successfully to day.

I have a Texelent Bar and a base Ram Mount adapter the only thing I need is the Top Ram Mount Platform for the unit.

Everything else is a go

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,548 Posts
Maybe you might better better off buying the 2730 instead of the 2820. It will do all that you say you want and is cheaper and comes with the XM antenna just in case you change your mind later about wanting the XM radio.

When I was looking for a GPS, I decided that I didn't need one with the MP3 player because I have a iPod. I also didn't think I wanted the XM radio either so I bought the much cheaper 2610 and it works great and I'm very happy with it.

I have since listen to my friends 2730 and I while I'm not one to pay for for radio (or TV) I got to admit that the XM radio feature sure is nice and would really be nice on a trip riding in the mountains when you can't hold a FM radio station for more than 10 miles at a time.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Roadie said:
Maybe you might better better off buying the 2730 instead of the 2820. It will do all that you say you want ...
Not true - he wants the BlueTooth integration between the GPS and his cellphone and then to the bike (with the Kennedy CellSet/2820)

The 2730 does not provide this.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
JimRo said:
After watching the posts here and listening to comments talking to friends of mine I have decided on the Gramin 2820. I liked the I Lowrance 500c esp the Screen size but I have seen to many QC issues with the product etc. Also like The Garmin Cust Support, I spoke to them yesterday, they were more than helpful

So whats the cheapest price anybody has seen for this little devil
Jim,

I honestly think based on your requirements, you should get the Garmin Zumo as it has BLUETOOTH + an SD memory card slot which is a nice feature for MP3s.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
ShaneStump said:
...I honestly think based on your requirements, you should get the Garmin Zumo as it has BLUETOOTH + an SD memory card slot which is a nice feature for MP3s...
He doesn't need the MP3 or the XM radio on the Zumo (or the tiny MP3 capability of the 2820)

JimRo said:
...the only thing I want is the Kennedy Cell set so I can run my Mp3 player off the aux like I do today. No XM radio. I have an MP3 player and 1200CD's sound edited and converted to play on the bike which I do very successfully to day...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ShaneStump,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have sort of found out that when you pair up Blue Tooth at least on a 2820, you can-not hear the MP3 play thru the GPS device anyway. Not sure about the Zumo.

I got my new Blue Tooth Phone Friday along with my Jabra Device, works super.

Now I also decided on a 2820 because as far as I know it is flash vs a hard drive, which is more condusive to vibrations.
I am a simple guy, and was in the puter business for a long time and really believe in the KISS principle esp for non enterprise functions

But the simple fact is I only want to use my phone to make a call, my mp3 player to play music.

My son, on the other hand has Trios, Blackberrys 3 Apple Laptop's and it goes on and on. I had PDA's before they became a rage and a lot of the other elctronic toys that were available.

For an example. I had an MP3 player when most people were running Battery operated CD players or Walkmans.

Now I have a very simple Sansa E140 1 gig player, with a 2 gig expansion card. (No lithium batteries and no propriotity sound formats or loading systems, Like I Tunes) (I get about 120 complete CD's on the player)

I don't want to watch a full length movie on a 2-3 inch screen, store photos or keep an up to date copy of my will or estate plan on it, or watch pod-casts. (SEE I TOLD YOU I AM A SIMPLE GUY), I just want to listen to a few tunes,

If it get sick I Just plug in the Rio player and go to Amazon and buy another E140 for 85.00. I've had it for over a year and it hasn't failed yet.

When the battery dies esp on the road, I just reach in the left pocket of the bike and change the triple A battery, continue to listen and ride to my hearts content. I don't need a hard wired cigarette adapter or anything other than a few batteries.

It is mounted on a Ram mount which is mounted on a Texelent Acc Bar. A simple Radio Shack headphone extension cable, routed to the Ram Mount from the aux cable and Wallah, Tunes, LOL

All 1200 of my CD's are sound edited and wrapped in a single WMA file, and the volume blown up to 96-97DB and they sound and play great on the bike or in the car. I don't know about you but in reality I have a lot of trouble managing 60 Cd's less 120, LOL

The only two requirements I had for my new phone was Blue Tooth and a speaker phone. However, it will take pic's, email, Vcast, Stk Quotes, Download music, text mesg and cook a hamburger.

I just want to make a phone call, lol.

I want the GPS to tell me how to get from point A to B and a few other things it will do well like Blue Tooth and route control and where the closest place is I can get a decent eggroll, LOL

My only requirements are Reasonable Customer Support, unit reliability and a big enough screen that I can see at a comfortable distance.

The Iway 500C was my first choice. But I have been watching the threads and posts here and other places, and I just don't have the time or patence to fight the QC and reliability issues this device seems to have.

So I settled on the Garmin 2820. Is it the best decision, I don't know but it seems reasonable at the present time.

P.S. As soon as the media cost comes down I am going to add a Lightscribe CD/DVD drive to my puter system also, Lol

I think I just gave you more info than you needed, its a personality defect on my part I have a tendency to over communicate , LOL :lol:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
JimRo said:
...I have sort of found out that when you pair up Blue Tooth at least on a 2820, you can-not hear the MP3 play thru the GPS device anyway. Not sure about the Zumo...
The stereo output jack is disabled when you pair the 2820 (and presumably the Zumo) to a BlueTooth headset. The unit assumes that if you're using a headset, you won't need the audio to the output jack.

If you connect it on the bike and plug the audio output to the AUX input, the music (MP3 or XM) will work just fine. The music mutes when you the phone is active.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts