GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

Well the 1.7 software upgrade fixed the dim light on start up at least through the warm weather, instant brightness. However, in Tennessee we have had a couple of cool nights in the 50's.

The unit is in the garage and when it was turned on today it unfortunately went back to its "cold" ways. The display remained dim until the unit warmed up, many minutes.

I can't believe this is going to happen in the cold weather.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
702 Posts
No 'thoughts' on your exact issue but I have a cold issue also as the MP3 side skips when cold.
I noticed that it goes wacky in hot temps also. Riding across Idaho last month in ambient temps of high 90's seemed to 'upset' the Iways constitution-it rebooted several times before I shut it off untill the following AM. Its fine after a cool- down.

AG GL

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmmm, the Iway 500C has a problem with temps lower than 50F and higher than 90F? Not good - that's most of my ridiing, or so it seems..... and I just bought one!

ken

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Not all units have this problem - mine survived a peak of 118 deg. this summer and a week solidly over 90 deg with nary a problem.

(Knocking on wood)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree with Jon. I haven't experienced any temperature problems with my 500C, hot or cold. And this using it in my cage from the heat of summer in Georgia and Florida to the cool nights in the San Juan Mountain elevations of Colorado.

My recent observations while monitoring several websites with GPS forums is that many of the problems associated with earlier versions (hardware and software) of the 500C have been resolved. Of course, everytime new software is released new problems surface, but they seem to be fewer and less significant.

Bill

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not had any heat issues. However, even with software 1.7 which typically turns on full brightness immediately in normal temps, used not to be that way , the colder temps must affect the actual florescent tube and in the cold it does take several minutes to achieve full brightness along with some "blinking/flickering" of the light.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I normally use the setting of "one click less than full bright", however for the past few days (Kathy & I are on a 2 week ride) I've tried full bright. Air temp has been about 38 - 42* F and GPS temps have been about 40-50*F, cooler especially in the thick fog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts