GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a vented OEM windshield for my 1800. I already have just the vent and all the hardware in the garage. All I have to do is cut my windshield and install it.

My question is: How does this affect Jons mount with the 500C? Will the clearences all be ok with this set up? I cannot visually see if there is enough room. I use the short ram mounting arm and usually have it straight up.

Any help with this question will be appreciated. Thank you,

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have Jons set up with the 500C and a Tulsa windshield with vent. Its right behind the Iway but the vent opens and closes fine. I like it there so the air can cool the Iway. I would think it would have even more clearance with a OEM windshield because the Tulsa really slopes back alot more than the OEM. Also, If your interested in getting a OEM shield let me know. I want to sell the one that was on my bike.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have Jon's mount with the short arm and the OEM shiel and vent. With the shield in the lowest position the vent works fine. With the shield 2 steps up and the arm full toward the shield the vent only opens about 1/2 way. Moving the arm forward a little lets the vent clear just fine.

Just how much clearance you have is dependent on where you set your shield and how far toward the shield you tilt the 500.

Just ran my 500c on Jon's mount to PA, NJ and back home to FL and both worked fine.

Jeff in sunny, cool, Naples, FL

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

I was gonna add somethin' but after I re-read Kenn and brihvac's inputs I can only add :wink: 8) looks just like mine and I'm a very happy Wing guy also.

Ross,
Ya can't go wrong, the pics don't lie. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the input. I cut the extra windsheild and mounted the vent in it yesterday. When it gets warm I will change windshields. Thanks again.

By the way, cutting the windshield and installing the vent was a piece of cake. I was told to use a coarse wood blade in a variable speed sabre saw and it worked like a champ. Cut was clean and vent fit perfect.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Has anyone every considered actually installing the vent into the Tulsa windshield above the GPS Unit whether it is a Garmin or Lowrance? That way it keeps you cool and the GPS dry in the rain. The air flowing above the GPS will draw the air in from behind it to keep air circulating and keep the GPS cool too. Should not interfere with your view throught the windshield either.

Any thoughts on this??

Jon what do you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts