GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Kathy and I are in the middle of a ride from Vancouver to Yellowstone to northern British Columbia and back. I've an interesting iWay problem that I want to mention as perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

First - the GPS has been working great in real hot (90's) and real cool (20's), that is not the problem.

The problem is that once I progam in a city or town it thinks it is there about 7 miles before the real town.

For example: I'm at point A and have just had to turn around because the road is closed due to snow (wait till I get home and post the photos!) so I search for 'cities' and find one on the detour route. The icon for the town is the exclamation point in the red square.

I then find the next city (another exclamation point in a red square) and go there. I choose 'final destination'.

Now, here's the problem - when approaching the first town the iWay does not use the red square for the milage calculations and in fact goes to the next leg early - about 7 miles early (more or less).

Then the kicker - the red square-with-"!" is still showing as we ride past.

I first noticed this 'feature' of the iWay on our ride to Mexico in May but since that was it's first 'long' trip I thought that I was doing sometning wrong. Am I?

Please post your thoughts. I'll be able to check again in 3 days when we get to our son's place.

Take Care,

John S.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bill

Thanks for that link. It looks like others have noticed this 'feature' but no good solutions posted yet.

Jon - have you anything to say?

John S.

·
Registered
252 Posts
City Location incorrect

John,

If you are aware of a City that is not located where it is supposed to be, go to www.heavens-above.com, select United States as the country, click on SELECT (Select your location from the database), input the City that you are having trouble with and the press search.

The database will echo back the Latitude and Longitude of the City.

You can use this to input the location into your iWay and set it as a waypoint.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary, Barry, and others,

The problem is not the location of the city or town. The white exclamation point in the red square [!] is correct as far as the lat and long goes.

The problem is that when the city/town is on the route to something further along then the iWay figures it is at the icon about 7 miles before I get there.

If the city/town is the final destination then the iWay does the correct calculations and shows us there when we get there.

Interesting "feature".

By the way - did you notice that there are usually two identical waypoints for every city/town - one with and one without the red square icon?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In your route, do you have multiple waypoints?

I think this is what you're describing, so here goes:

scenario 1:
Let's sayyou're on a multi-leg route with say 10 points. The city you're trying to get to was point #5, and now you have to divert to a new city.

option A: If you set new city as "New Final Destination," the iWay is going to try to get you to waypoint 6 and dutifully put the new city as waypoint 11.

option B: If you select "Detour Here," the iWay will route you to the new city then go to old waypoint 5, which is the action I think you really want.

As far as the double town entries, I've noticed that too and think it is a database bug.

David M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts