GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like an elementary question, but I just got my Iway 500 a week or so ago. I created a route in MS Map Point 2004, saved it and then opened it in the GPSUtil program, saved it as a .usr file, and copied it to the gps and loaded it.
I see the waypoints (there are only 3 waypoints because I am just trying to figure it out), but how do I run the route or have it show the path on the screen of the Iway?

This forum is a wealth of knowledge. I have been reading it for a while and have learned quite a bit. There seems to be more information here than in the manual that came with the gps.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Welcome aboard!

After you copy the USR file to the iWay disk, you need to cycle the power to the GPS, open the 'transfer data' menu and load your file (it sounds like you've done this if you can see your waypoints).

Go to the Routes menu and you should see your route listed in the table. From here you can select it and open it to modify/view it or click on 'Start' to run it.

If you don't have a satellite signal, it should ask you if you want to simulate running the route.

One thing I do is to take a screenshot of the route in S&T and copy it to a 'Route Pics' folder on the unit. I can then use the picture viewer utility to pull up the route and preview it without having to open/edit or simulate running it.

B

·
0 Posts
ljlkrl said:
There seems to be more information here than in the manual that came with the gps.
Larry,

You may as well put the manual away. I found it almost useless. Everything I have learned about the 500c, I have learned from Jon and others here on the board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and quick response.
I am wondering if there is a benefit to S&T over Map Point.
I am probably going to buy the GPSUtil program because it is the only thing I have seen that will convert the .usr files to a Maptech Terrain Navigator format. I have a Lowrance Globalmap 3500c I use in my boat and I like to go back and forth between it and my pc.

What about S&T vs. Map Point for route creation?

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
ljlkrl said:
... I am wondering if there is a benefit to S&T over Map Point...
I use MapPoint 2006 at work - the only file output options it gives you are PTM and PTT file types (Maps & Templates). S&T gives you the EST file option that you need to convert it to a USR file.

As long as you're OK with the features and maps included in Mappoint 2004, you're probably OK. S&T is cheaper than Mappoint if you have to buy a new program...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jon said:
Welcome aboard!

After you copy the USR file to the iWay disk, you need to cycle the power to the GPS, open the 'transfer data' menu and load your file (it sounds like you've done this if you can see your waypoints).

Go to the Routes menu and you should see your route listed in the table. From here you can select it and open it to modify/view it or click on 'Start' to run it.
Jon,
I am using GPSU 4.30.1 and I recently installe 1.8 on my IWAY. I converted a Streets and Trips file to a USR and saved it to my 500C. When I try to load it I get an error message: "User data file version is not compatible with the current unit software version." Got any ideas?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I haven't tried loading any routes into the new firmware yet - it's possible that they changed the file structure slightly.

If so, we'll need to contact the good folks at GPSU and see if they can modify their format like they did when S&T changed their output format in the 2007 version.

I'll record some trails this weekend and try working backwards as well...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I updated my iWay to v1.8 yesterday.

I just created a route in S&T, opened it in GPS Util and saved it as a .usr file, loaded it to the gps and had no problems with it.

I am using S&T 2007 and GPS Util 4.30.1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts