GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another complaint about 500c QC and praise for customer support.

Most recent 500c held up for my trip from SW FL to PA, NJ, and SC and back home so I figured maybe I had a winner. Nope! On trip from SW FL to central CA then on to LA and home the touch screen died.

Fortunately, it held out long enough to get me around LA but I have to go to LA and then home across the deserts in AZ, NM and W TX where gas stops can be far and few between. Aint happening without my little British bird to talk me through it all.

A call to Lowrance got me Mike who gave me the bad (?) news that my latest unit had lasted more than 6 months so I was out of warranty and would have to pay the $149 repair charge. When I explained my situation he set it up to ship me a replacement unit (charging my Visa for purchase price) next day. When I return the old unit they'll credit my account.

Nice to work with people willing to really help. I just wish it wasn't necessary.

I asked about the 600c and was told not until late Feb. for it to be available.

Jeff in cold, wet Merced, CA wantin' to get home where it is warm

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
For as many screen-related problems as they've had it's pretty tacky for them to not handle this for you, warranty or not (especially since it's your fourth unit).

Most of their reported failures are due to screen problems - I sure hope they get their act together for the 600 model...

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I know some of you are wild about the Iway, and it may be a great unit when it's working....but man, it seams over and over again someone is having a unit go south on them....

This thing must be the best GPS in the world for everyone to keep buying it....and only 6months warranty???? I don't get it...

I have a Garmin 2720 and now the built in unit on the 07.

Granted the 07 unit's not the power user GPS, but the 2720 seams it'll do most of what the Iway can do, sans mp3 player and I have a IPod for that....and has a much better track record for dependability....

Just some observations, maybe I'm way off base here.....

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The 6 month warranty is only on a repaired unit (six months or the remainder of the existing warranty, whichever is longer)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Jon said about the warranty holds true in my case. I got unit #4 in early May so I was on the 6 month replacement warranty, not the original 1 year.

I have used a number of GPS units for work and my wife recently got a Nuvi 650 (I think that was it) and I have not been impressed with any of them.

It is not just the MP3 player on the 500c that makes it my choice. I like the large screen, not available on other units until you get up to $1,000 or so, and the flexibility of screen layout. I want what I want on the screen, not what some yo-yo in silicon valley thinks I want.

Add to that, Jon's programming of alternate skins, which are fantastic, and I'll stick with the iWay for a while longer yet.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Just got my third one and every time I take it out on the bike it's froze up. Gotta call for another RA# Tim

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just sent back #4 today.

This one lasted the longest , about 6 months, I thought I had a keeper until it started randomly resetting.

OH well, I hope #5 is the keeper.

I'll keep trying because when they work , they're great units

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
JimRo said:
KYBLUE,

Alert don't say anything about ILowrance, you will be known as a Lorance basher !!!!
I hear you

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have had the Iway over a year now with no problems.
Been to Nova Scotia and Key West and never missed a beat.
Did buy the extended 2 year warranty

·
Registered
448 Posts
iway

I have been using the iway for 2 months now after 2 garmins, by far the best and easiest gps to use for me, very Happy with it ! :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
11 months, Still on #1

FWIW - I think it's a good idea to turn off the iWay with it's own power button before turning off the ignition.

·
Registered
448 Posts
quote > I know some of you are wild about the Iway, and it may be a great unit when it's working....but man, it seams over and over again someone is having a unit go south on them....
you also must consider , with Mp3 files and Photos , that some people mite be loading corrupt files from their computer into them causing alot of problems , not saying thats all the problems ,, but surely some of them ,, 8)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Another thing to consider is that there are some data points in the latest mapset that causes the units to lock up when the 'current road' information is displayed on the overlay or if the size of the 'destination' info was too large, especially when the unit was performing a recalc while moving.

Lowrance's response to these problems so far has usually been just to replace the unit without digging a little further into the problem (typical Tech Support, IMHO) and identifying the solution (temporary fix is to simply close the data overlay screen by tapping the '-' button in most map skin files and try again.

You can verify the 'map data' issue by putting the unit in 'simulator' mode and then causing the unit to re-run the area in question. If it locks up again, then there is corrupt information for that location that causes the unit to lock up. This data needs to get back to Lowrance and NavTeq so that they can correct the errors. Simply exchanging the unit for another one may cause it to do reboot again in exactly the same location.

Most people don't want to have to do the work of the TS team and just have them exchange the unit, chalking it up to another failure when it might be something other than a dead unit.

(This doesn't excuse the fact that the unit still doesn't work right, but it might make it easier to determine the exact cause of the problem). There is even a thread dedicated to trying to ferret out these problems for TS over on the GPSPassion board.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have had my IWAY for a year now with no problems. Granted I am far from what is considered a power user and probably will never be one but it has worked without fail.

It is funny after saying that though I am thinking of a Garmin to get the cell phone and XM in one unit to clear up the bike a little bit.

I have not heard if the new 600c will do these things. If it does I will probably go with that as I am not sure I would be satisfied with a smaller screen.

For me time will tell but as of now nothing wrong with the Lowrance.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
jwen said:
... I have not heard if the new 600c will do these things. If it does I will probably go with that as I am not sure I would be satisfied with a smaller screen...
If they were adding these capabilities to the 600c, I'm sure we would've heard about it by now.

My recommendation would be to find someone who has a 2820 or a Zumo near you and play with one before buying it. You don't want buyer's remorse...

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
KYBLUE said:
Just some observations, ....
A few more.

I'm using an iPAQ 4150 for my mapping display and MP3 player.

some advantages:
It can run your choice of PDA mapping software (Mapopolis, iNAV, TomTom etc).
It is very light and thin (mounts over the goldwing logo just below the key ... with just a piece of Velcro).
For short trips (one day), it runs on internal battery.
... for long trips it can plug into bike's power.
The actual GPS is bluetooth and remotely located
The GPS runs for about 10 hours on it's own battery or you can plug it in too.

Excellent daylight display ... it has a "trans-reflective" screen
... that means the more light you shine onto it, the brighter it looks.
... also back lit for night or low light conditions.

The iPAQ handles the "GPS voice and mp3 music" multitasking
(no iPOD needed)
... so while I'm listening to my mp3 tunes on the iPAQ media player, the GPS mapping display is also running at the same time and the "voice" of the GPS comes in with the music (you can hear both).
Both are coming in at the same time over the single AUX connection, there are no splitters needed.

I also have an XM BT WX receiver and can get real time NexRad displays.
(different display software for that).

disadvantages:
When it rains (usually I'm not riding in the rain very much)
... it goes into the side pocket and I just hear the GPS voice.

overall, I like the flexibility it affords.

Any Windows 2003 or newer PDA will work (Dell, HP etc.)

regards,
Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts