GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know why our 500C will work perfectly for hours, and then for no reason at all it will just shut off and re-boot.

It will re-boot 4 or 5 times in a row. Sometimes it will just keep re-booting to the point were I just shut it down and call it a day :twisted:

But like I said, it will work for hours w/o incident?

we do have the latest version, 1.7.0 (i think)

The other thing that annoys me, is once we are moving ( in the car or the bike) the Iway has trouble figuring out if it wants to be on a toll road or not.

When we are moving, if I try to go to a way point it will ask if a toll road is okay? If we say yes it will re-boot?

whats up with that?

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is what one person from another forum says may be the cause for the re-booting problem with the iWay 500C:

The reboot problem I've seen at two locations was verified yesterday. It's caused by driving over roadways with multiple names or extremely long names. The reason it happens more frequently at bridges and tunnels is because these geographic choke-points may have several routes or names combined onto one roadway, making their full names very long. I found a way to prevent it from happening!!!

On the Overlay Data screen, select Current Road and make sure its size is not set to the smallest. I used 1 step up from smallest and verified (both live and in simulation mode) that setting to a larger size prevents the freeze-up and reboot problem.

This seems to be related to not having a smaller font available that allows resizing the Current Road overlay item. Unlike its cousin Destination, apparently the Current Road data overlay won't switch into horizontal scrolling mode if the data is wider than the field allows. It tries to use a smaller font and wrap to a second line.
These reboots always appear (so far) to be when routing over roadways with really long or multiple names for the same strip of asphalt. Sometimes it's bridges or tunnels which are choke-points for multiple routes and street names to combine. Other times, it's just a long or strangely formatted name. It's sometimes tied to the data overlay of current roadway name... If you turn this off, sometimes it'll stop the reboot - sometimes it won't. They're related but different I guess.

Usually, once you pass the segment of roadway that's giving the unit fits (only in navigation mode, not when just displaying the map without a route) it'll pick up like nothing ever happened.
You can read about it here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... C_ID=58484

·
Registered
252 Posts
iWay reboots

J-Mac,

I had the same problem on my iWay 500c.

I sent it in for diagnostics and Lowrance replaced the unit stating that the software had become corrupt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
iWAY 500

It is well documented on this as well as other sites that the iWAY 500C is loaded with glitches and problems. One out of 10 seem to work for a while, but most have exibited serious problems. I went through three before giving up and getting a refund. Most either lock up, go to random re-boots, can't find known locations, show travel on wrong routes, change brightness, fail to play MP3s properly, or simply won't turn on.
Lowrance is apparently aware of these problems, however, the most common response is "yes, we are aware of the problem and are working on a solution".
Good luck with yours... Jeff

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes, I experienced this very problem for the first time during Thanksgiving while traveling to Ocean City, MD in my vehicle. The problem occurred not long after crossing over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge which is several miles long.

I eventually had to just turn off the unit and forget about it. On the return trip I was able to get the unit restarted and functioning, but began I experiencing the same as well as other problems such as locking up.

When I arrived home I called Lowrance and the tech walked me through a fix but I am not sure I remember "exactly" what he had me do. :? :oops: As best I can recall, I had to hook up the unit in my home, acquire a signal, and then press the on and volume switch simultaneously and hold until something happened that corrected the anomaly.

Maybe you might want to try calling Lowrance to see what can be done over the phone. Good luck. :)

Todd

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
This was a reported problem with the Bay Bridge - there's apparently a location near the bridge where the number of roads and the labeling was causing a problem when the 'Current Road' information is displayed on your data overlay.

Turning this off corrected the problem on most units, some people reported that changing the font size to a larger font also helped.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for all the replies.

I'm going to call Lowrance. It worked fine all the way to my parents place in the Berkshire Mountains (Ma.)

However on the way home this afternoon it went into Brainfart mode. We were just wondering down the NYS thruway and the thing re-booted. We were not near any bridges or roads with long names.

The really odd thing is the Iway worked fine till TBB* up-graded to Version 1.7 :twisted:

oh well, at least it's not riding season :roll: :wink:

Thanx again

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
J-mac said:
... The really odd thing is the Iway worked fine till TBB* up-graded to Version 1.7...
She probably screwed up the upgrade :duck:

you might have a map segment that's corrupted - if that's what it is, you should be able to duplicate the reboot while in simulation mode (set your current position upstream of where the problem was and then set a route that takes you past the location where it locked up before).

If this is the case, you could try doing the map installation again or send it back to Lowrance and tell them that after the upgrade it started rebooting. If they have you send it back for a 'factory labotomy', you'll get another 6 months of warranty coverage :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
JimRo said:
Thats why I have a Garmin
You know, even though as a happy iWay user and a senior citizen I do have a little spare time on my hands, I don't think I am going to waste it lurking in forum strings where others are having problems with their Garmin GPS units and posting the comment "Thats why I have an iWay." :roll:

Bill

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
J-mac said:

......................oh well, at least it's not riding season :roll: :wink:

Thanx again
YES IT IS!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Todd

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
bcope01 said:
JimRo said:
You know, even though as a happy iWay user and a senior citizen I do have a little spare time on my hands, I don't think I am going to waste it lurking in forum strings where others are having problems with their Garmin GPS units and posting the comment "Thats why I have an iWay." :roll:

Bill
What Bill said. Well put! I am a happy senior citizen iWay user too Bill. :D

Todd

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wvnnva said:
J-mac said:

......................oh well, at least it's not riding season :roll: :wink:

Thanx again
YES IT IS!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Todd

oooh maaaan,<whinning> thats just mean :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bcope01 said:
JimRo said:

Bill
:lol: :lol: Let it go Bill :lol: it's human nature to rib someone about problems. I have to admit :oops: :cry: I rarely hear about Garmins re-booting :lol: :lol: ................

it's all good! we'll get this thing figured out ( it may take a 12ga, but we'll get her fixed :lol: )

·
Registered
705 Posts
You know, even though as a happy iWay user and a senior citizen I do have a little spare time on my hands, I don't think I am going to waste it lurking in forum strings where others are having problems with their Garmin GPS units and posting the comment "Thats why I have an iWay

LURKING, well thats a strong word, maybe skulking around looking for Iway users with issues, but never never LURKING. :(

PS: are there any threads or strings with people having trouble with Garmin if so, I wish you had lurked in a few of those and let me know seeing I just bought my Garmin SAT. :wink:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
JimRo said:
... PS: are there any threads or strings with people having trouble with Garmin if so, I wish you had lurked in a few of those and let me know seeing I just bought my Garmin SAT. :wink:
Please - there are TONS of threads with Garmin-related problem reports. They don't normally generate their own threads like the iWays seem to.

Here's a few - this was only about 30 minutes of cutting and pasting, but hopefully, you get the point.

xxxrider - 12/7/06 said:
Well, I just got my replacement 2820 for my 2730 which has condensation on the screen.
Roadie - 12/7/06 said:
Condensation on the screen with the 2730 and the 2610 seems to be a commom problem with these Garmin units. I have two friends who have brand new 2730 units and both of those units have had condensation in the screen at one time or another while using them on a motorcycle. I have also had the same problem with my 2610 while using it on my motorcycle.
Doberman - 12/7/06 said:
I am on my 3rd 2720 due to the condensation problem and have a friend who is also on his 3rd.
Fred H - 7/30/06 said:
I am starting to notice a lot of small scratches and lines in my 376c screen despite only using clean microfiber cloths to clean it. I have also seen another 376 that developed crazing of the coating so bad that the unit had to be returned, and it looks like mine is starting to do this as well, though to a lesser degree, but it is steadily getting worse. I fear that in another year, the screen will be ruined, and then it will be out of warranty.
Toyo 8/9/06 said:
When I talked to Garmin on Monday I complained about my screen. He said they have not made any changes in regards to the screen, that he knew of at least. They have my unit right now. It was shutting off when I zoomed out.
motorcyclemom40 - 8/13/06 said:
I would be interested in something also... this is my third unit and it has scratches already.
richroth99 - 8/16/06 said:
My 376C is only 3 months old and the screen is scratching like crazy.
jafi_fink - 8/27/06 said:
So far no problems with the second unit but it hasn't been in any moisture or rain yet.
Silverbullet - 10/17/06 said:
Turned on my GPS this morning and the screen is jumping and the touchscreen does not work. Anyone had this problem?
abba352 - 10/17/06 said:
Interesting as I had the exact same issue this morning; no roads showed just a yellow background. I powered it off, then back on, and it worked.

Same thing has happened a few times over the last year and half. Came back last week from a weeklong ride through New England and when I got into Connecticutt I had nothing showing on the screen. When I pressed the speak, it knew whenI was but the screen appears to have locked. It wasn't until later that evening when it functioned normally.
Roadie - 10/18/06 said:
I don't think it's a age related issue because my 2610 has seen less than a year of service. My friends 2 month old 2730 is also having a condensation problem under the screen. Both of our units have been in the rain.
Tangleyes - 10/20/06 said:
My 2610 started doing this back in July. The screen wiggles and says it is "drawing".

I have had this GPS since 03/04 with no problems. I have V7 and problems started after last update (4.2? / 4.3?). GPS was not wet at the time. Sometimes it will also show no maps/roads in a partial section of the screen and will not update at that time. It is like it is frozen or thinking.

Sure hope someone figures this problem out!!
oldtags - 10/22/06 said:
I have the moisture problem that Jon mentioned. I left it on the bike in North Carolina during several rainy days. (Bike cover on but still got condensation). After it dries out, an hour or so on the bike it works normal. The symptoms are: Loose all routing info, screen wiggles, sometimes screen reverts to hundred mile range, all you get when truing to use remote or controls is a bunch of beeps. I have learned to not leave the unit on the bike unless actually using it.
jfrazsr - 9/21/06 said:
Haven't been on my bike in about 4 days went out this morning for a ride cranked her up to leave looked down to my gps to see if it was ready to navigate and I could not read the screen.It looked like someone had took the screen off and wadded it up in their hand ,then tried to put it back on.Well I went for the ride and the gps was working fine you just can't see the screen to well.I emailed Garmin and they told me to send it in and they would fix it under warranty.I just wonder what caused this.I had noticed some moisture under the screen months ago,but it would burn off kind of like your wrist watch does if it gets a little damp.I thought these units were water proof but I guess not.One good thing it happened all at once and before the warranty was up.Has anyone else seen this trace amount of moisture on their screen or had it to wrinkle up?
Riding4Work - 9/21/06 said:
Ditto

Same thing happened. I saw a little bubble on the screen and the next day it was wrinkled. Within 2 days the entire screen coating flaked off. Called Garmin and they said the same thing, send it in.

It's on the way back.
Neil-in-Seattle - 9/24/06 said:
I've had that happen twice. The second time they replaced the entire unit, although the warranty had long expired.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
come on guys, lets stop being children.

I do have a Garmin iQue 3600 in my service truck. I use to use it on the bike, but it's not water resistant. I have never had a problem with it (although it needs a battery now)

I'm going to try the suggestions that were posted here, if I can't figure it out by Friday I'm going to call Lowrance and see what they can do for me.

Thanx for the help

·
Registered
705 Posts
come on guys, lets stop being children.
Jon,

Thanks for the time you took for the Cut/paste excercise. But, my comment was a tongue in cheek comment anyway regarding the IWAY.

Now let me say this about Harleys ........LOL

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Aww yea PMS for the Yankees is startin'. :lol: I have zero issues with my iWay500c (bangin' my head on the wooden desktop!!) as for the Bay Bridge Tunnel issues, Jon is very correct.
My office is within visual site of that pain in the wallet, it even gives Navy ships GPS antennas issues when they cross over the tunnel houses and no one could ever tell me why when I used to ask the tech reps (damn govt contractors :roll: ). We always used to use the gun fire control system radar to lock on to the tunnel houses for navigation just in case the GPS way points went on vacation. The shoal (shallow for the Air Farce guys) water around the entire area makes navigation sometimes interestin' and all the testing gear for different Army and Navy systems in the area just add to the electronic issues.

·
Registered
705 Posts
All posts by me are my opinion and my opinion only, if ya don't like it don't read my posts and I fully 100% support this board/owners and it's moderators
I like your opinions Dave, LOL I also like Hampton Roads

1 - 20 of 20 Posts