GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello All, I did a search for "Iway 600 reset" and not a thing showed up.... so I'll ask. How to do a hard reset on the Iway 600? I found the reset option on page 41 of the operator's manual, but that sounds like a "soft reset" - is there a "hard reset" that will do more?

The touch screen freezes when traveling a route. Everything else works, updates the screen, everything - I just can't use the touch screen to find the next gas station, change North up arrow, etc, anything that requires the touch screen. When just traveling with no route selected, the touch screen works just fine. Has anyone had a similar problem? Found a solution?

LaMonster - I'm not quite ready for your solution..... yet {grinning}.

Thanks to all for any help or suggestions.

Ken H>

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try this:

"On the iWay 500c (and possibly the 600c) you may do a soft-reset by holding down the map/music button while powering up. The soft reset simply returns the iWay to the Default skin and will correct problems with custom skins you may have added (but have bugs in them).

On these models, you may also enter the factory diagnostic menu to perform a hard reset to attempt to clear up other strange problems like maps not appearing or routes that won't delete etc. Enter diagnostics by holding the Speak/Volume button while powering up. A diagnostic screen appears with a button for Hard Reset. Pressing this on-screen button will pop up a warning message and allow you to confirm that you want to do a hard reset. It is not recommended that you try to use any other button on this screen or even the 5 hard-buttons as they have undocumented features which can adversely affect your iWay's brightness, color, and contrast settings.

The hard reset will restore the iWay to factory defaults on all settings, delete your address book, and clear the recent destinations."

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was looking for - thanks for the info. I had to hold the speaker/volume button down all the way thru power up..

Hey, I just noticed the map at the bottom of my post - where did that come from? I've played around on that site some, but did NOT desire for it to show up here.

Ken H>

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Just for reference (from the Lowrance TS site):

These work for the 500c, too.

You might be experiencing a 'dirty screen' issue which causes phantom screen presses - there is procedure for cleaning this which has been successful for many units that I've tried it on so far (I think out of seven units sent to me, I've been correct six of them by cleaning them).

(It beats the sledgehammer repair method as 'step 1' :) )

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know Jon, I didn't even think to try the Iway site - just looked thru the operator's manual, found what I considered the soft reset, looked over the web using Google, then posted here.

I've saved your dirty screen cleaning from several months back in case i even need it - since that sympton is more of the random screen presses, I'm not sure that is my problem - the darn thing just didn't respond to anything hardly. It's working good for now - we'll see how it holds up on the ride this week.

My cousin and I have a 4 day ride planned up thru Central to North AL, then dropping back down thru GA..... well, unless we change directions mid trip.

Thanks to all for the help.

Ken H.

·
Registered
10 Posts
iWay 500c Hard Reset

:bow:Thanks Jon! your post was what I was looking for. A friend gave me his 500c because it was acting crazy! I've been reading sites and posts trying to find a way to hard reset the thing to see if that would fix his problem. After the thing is on a while it will lose its position and also the switch from 2D to 3D and back jumping around. I opened it looking for a loose connection or signs of the obvious.

You said that you've put SSD hard drives in your 500c. How did you image that drive? Do you have special equipment? We used to duplicate drives at work but the machine we used is way too expensive for me.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The symptom of the screen changing map selections is usually because the default screen has a map toggle button located in the upper LH corner.

When the screen gets too much dirt on the connections at the bottom of the screen, (who's bright idea was it to put the connections at the bottom of a device that's susceptible to water and dirt?) the unit can exhibit these 'phantom presses'. I've re-posted my screen cleaning procedures over on the GPSPassions Forum if you want to try that. (of course, you could always just have a flaky touch-screen...)

To install the SSD, I just removed the drive and connected it to my desktop PC using laptop-style IDE adapters and then used a freeware drive-imaging program to copy the image to the new drive. When it started copying, it asked me what I wanted to do with the free disk space that the 32GB drive would leave me with, and I just told it to make the visible partition 22GB instead of 10GB on the original drive.

The SSD generates enough RF interference that the internal satellite antenna no long works, so one of the drawbacks is that you'd have to use an external antenna (I still have a couple of them, if you're interested).

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jon, How does replacing the original HDD with a solid state unit affect the heat generated by the iWay?
The heatsink on the back of my 500c gets pretty warm at times.
Thanks,
Ralph Wenzl

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I haven't done any true temperature tests, but I've never felt any heat on my heatsink since I've upgraded the drive and mine was like yours before - it could get very toasty at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts