GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using this combo yet? I have been using the Texelent mount with the iWay but like the out front look of this potential combo. It would also help my old eyes to see things a little clearer having the unit a bit farther away. I am also experiencing some vibration that I believe is coming from the use of the Ram mount twisted at an odd angle. That, of course, due to my recent switch to Metz. tires (another subject altogether). This looks like a good winter project for me. Any thoughts? How about clearance for the F4 windshield with the vent? I like the ability to quickly remove the GPS that the Mounting Innovations product gives you and am not willing to give that up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
edbremer:

I am going to do exactly that. Just recieved my iway today and am waiting for the Mounting Innovations rear mount to arrive.

I am shipping the works out to Jon and he is going to install the Mounting Innovations rear mount to his dash mount. Plus he is making up some quick disconnect cables for me also. He's also installing his skins and is going to make sure everything is working correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Some pictures of these would be nice to see if y'all get a chance. Crazy, what type of quick disconnect cables would you be looking at installing? There is only 1 cable on the iWay and it is pretty simple to pull out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ed,
Below is a picture of my setup.

I am using a dash mount that I made, a Bogen / Manfrotto 3299 RC2 System Quick Release Adapter with 3157N Plate http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search , and a simple bracket, bent with a 15-20 degree angle and three holes.

You can find more pictures at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rcpilot1000 ... 2381597613

As you can see from the additional photos, one part of the Bogen quick connect mounts to the dash mount. The simple bracket mounts to the IWAY and the other part of the Bogen mounts to the bracket. Mounting/Dismounting is very quick and simple. No ram mounts to adjust. The key is getting the right bend on the bracket.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
That's a nice looking setup. I can see where, like you say, the key is to get the right angle in the bend. That is where the RAM mount would be handy, at least to start out and figure out what the right angle would be for the rider, depending on their height. It looks like you also have room to open the vent and get some cooling to both you and the iWay. Thanks for posting the pictures and info. It's great to see other folks put their ideas into practical solutions. Be safe...Ed

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
edbremer said:
...It's great to see other folks put their ideas into practical solutions. Be safe...Ed
Their ideas? Hardly...

I made a similar mount for mine, but with a few differences - I extended the mount to cover the heat sink since that's where the water entered my last unit and also attached a quick-release waterproof connector to it so I don't have to worry about the connection in the iWay housing itself.

(This is a pic of the lighter-gauge, painted concept prototype) The final version is powder coated)

After Barry's umbrage over my use of his Manfrotto mount idea, I decided to not market this bracket (besides - he's supposedly got a Patent Pending on his use of the mount and I don't need the legal hassles :) )

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Jon,
Thanks for your reply and the link to the previous discussion. I didn't realize that all these various combinations had already been explored. I also didn't know of the exchange of dialog between you and Barry. I liked Barry's idea of incorporating the parts together to make a workable solution and have one of his now with the Texelent bar as the base for the mount. I also like your dash mount and will probably go for that solution now that I have found that first the handle bar mount didn't work well for me and now that the Texelent bar mount is just not working for me as far as the postion of the iWay goes. (The Texelent bar is great and I plan to keep it for future uses.) I really do hope to find a way to incorporate the quick disconnect functionally into my final solution. I think by eliminating the RAM mounts I could cut down on the vibrations I am now seeing with the iWay.

I do appreciate all the different ways that problems are approached by this board's members and respect the solutions that are offered up by all. Since I am not able to fabricate solutions such as these I have a great respect for all those who can and will be glad to support those whose solutions I can use to best fit my needs.

Thanks to all of you who have worked hard to help the rest of us less-skilled riders!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts