GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone steer me in the right direction for this purchase I just want a gps system that I can use and here on my 1800 I would like to be able to hear through my head sets what system do I buy ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Boy will you hear lots of opinions on this one. I use the I-Way 500C and love it. It has a nice large, easy to see and use screen, that you can adjust the brightness on. I have the Jon's Mount, where it is above the center of my dash, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. I use the Ed-Sets speakers in my helmet but with the I-Way hard wired in, I can also hear it through the bikes speakers. It is waterproof, also a big plus. Also, it can hold up to 5,000 MP3's, who needs a CD player!!! Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The TomTom (Rider) has very weak audio output (Bluetooth only, to their adapter), has no music player functions and can't be operated hardly at all while moving (most features are locked out). Not a player, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I can only talk about the iWay.
Plusses -
It is water-proof (not sure about the others).
Doesn't require a computer to program.
Easy to program on the fly.
Big, easy to see display (the 600C is even better).
10 GB MP3 player.
Interface to the GL1800 is quick and easy.
Good customer service.

Negatives -
Have to jump through a few hoops to use a computer to plan and download a trip.
Many users report problems requiring return to Lowrance for repair or replacement.
Weak internal antenna may require external antenna add-on for optimum satellite reception.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I bought the Zumo 550 and am pleased with its performance. It includes motorcycle and car mounts and is easy to use. You can use your computer to plan trips or plan them on the Zumo, planning on the Zumo is more difficult than planning on the computer. If you are careful about the way you set your waypoints you can make it take you exactly where you want to go, otherwise the automatic reroute feature takes over and takes you where it wants to go.

Kennedy has a setup that will connect it to the 1800 system that allows all of the features to be utilized from what I understand.

I have it connected to my Autocom system and the phone/bluetooth feature is not functioning properly yet. Autocom is working on the problem, everything else works great.

If you are looking for a "Full Featured" unit then you may want to consider the Garmin 2820 or one of the GPSMAP units. Some have purchased the iway and really like them, I did not like the screen size (too big) nor the reputation of the iway500, maybe the new 600 will be better.

For what I wanted the Zumo is GREAT!

Wayne

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I like my zumo. Yes, I would like it to be more customizable.

I've owned three iWays and just didn't want to go for a fourth. When it works the iWay is a marvelous unit. I wouldn't have liked it very much without Jon's skins though. His skins take a good unit and make it the easiest most functional unit out there, but it has quality issues.

The main thing I like about the zumo over the iWay is it's size. I thought it's small size would bother me after owning an iWay, but I really like it. It's easy to transport and when I want to make a quick "convenient store" stop I can just pop it in my pocket. The iWay had to be removed and put in the trunk which was a pain.

Whatever you decide, take your time. There are many pros and cons about both units and only you can decide what's right for you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you're a power user, get an Iway.
If you're not, get a Zumo.
I own one of the above.

If you know Italy, if those units were a travel experience, an Iway would be like a self-guided tour of Naples -- although quite rewarding, it is really intense and something you wouldn't want to do unless you really like being involved and like to seek things out. On the other hand the Zumo is like riding on a tour bus to some wineries or hill towns in the Tuscan countryside; rewarding too, but not as flexible.

Both units will get you from Point A to Point B; it all depends on how much effort you want to exert or if you really want to manipulate things on your way to B...

Which are you? Naples? Or...

Tuscany?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
mbresso said:
... Both units will get you from Point A to Point B; it all depends on how much effort you want to exert or if you really want to manipulate things on your way to B...
Decent points, but you don't HAVE to manipulate anything extra on the iWay to get from Point A to Point B. In terms of usability, I could argue that the iWay is at least as easy to use the basic functions of a GPS than the Zumo (especially with my skins ;), many functions are much easier on the iWay and many functions are currently impossible on the Zumo)

This was pretty clearly shown on my videos where I performed the same functions with multiple units.

I still agree - most entry-level users will be very happy with the Zumo and it offers many things that the iWay can't touch: Bluetooth, removable memory, battery operation, manageable size and most importantly: DEPENDABILITY (hopefully - it's still early)

Personally, I can't get past the inability to manipulate the map screen if you're not routing, the maximum 80' zoom level (which makes working w/POIs difficult, if not impossible) and many more niggling issues that most people don't even consider when they're contemplating a GPS, but I've been spoiled.

If the potential QC issues or bulk of the iWay concern you, by all means - get a Zumo.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
+1 for the iWay 500 or 600.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
I have a Garmin 2720 and I am happy with it. If buying one today I would go for the Zumo because I have had luck with the Garmins. Having said that it seems the guys that are really into the Motorcycle specific GPSs lean toward the Iway 500 and 600s. It has a larger screen than the Garmins which one can't argue about. I like the plug and play of the Garmin.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Jon said:
I still agree - most entry-level users will be very happy with the Zumo and it offers many things that the iWay can't touch: Bluetooth, removable memory, battery operation, manageable size and most importantly: DEPENDABILITY (hopefully - it's still early)

If the potential QC issues or bulk of the iWay concern you, by all means - get a Zumo.
Ordered my Zumo this morning.

The items Jon mentioned made my choice to be the Zumo. So I will wait and see. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.

Jon, how long does the battery last when charged? Will it recharge itself when plugged into the bike's power? I have seen replacement batteries online. Are they easy to change like a camera or such?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I got a little over 4 hours battery life while playing with it in the house (usually with a satellite lock).

As soon as you reconnect it to a source of power, it starts charging. If it's not finished charging when you turn it off, a message is displayed on the screen for a minute or so that the battery is charging.

The battery is contained in the module in the center strip on the back of the unit and is secured in place with a small screw. I'm not sure of the projected life-span of the battery, but I would imagine it should be at least a year, maybe more depending on use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts