GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be old news to some, but while poking around the new map DVD while it was upgrading the other day, I noticed a few folders with 'Marine' topics in the file name.

I remembered that when the 1.7.0 firmware was first released for download, the 'straight line navigation' option took you to a menu that allowed you to choose the maps to use while in straight line mode, but the selection drop-down box didn't give you any other maps to change to. When I checked on this functionality after the map update, the default skin entries (including mine) just toggled modes between turn-by-turn and straight-line using the TBT maps and Base Maps, respectively. (I didn't try any of the other skin's 'off road' buttons)

Just for fun this morning, I modified my skin file's 'Off Road' button to bring up the navigation menu and sure enough, there are now three choices while in straight-line mode: the base road map and two marine map choices.

One is a basic map with overlay of current information on it and the other is a standard marine chart with bottom contours, depth markers, notes, etc. The notes are marked with a small red 'I' and when you select it and press the 'Info' button, it gives you detailed information about that area. In addition, there is a small 'T' in a blue box that will bring up the detailed tide chart information for that area - it has a selection box that lets you look up dates at the bottom of the window. Pretty cool...

(This was originally predicted in this post, for those keeping track of these items... 8) ) Once again, Lowrance adds functionality with their upgrades.

I'll post some pictures of these features tonight, and will be updating my skin files to support this feature. I've also built a new trip information 'gauge page' and might update the music player as well.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't jinx us now... :wink: Let's hope that the double-digits are better for you.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Now if only Lowrance would add their aviation database to the 500c...

David M.
<wistful sigh>

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, here's the skinny on the marine mapping detail: They are including three levels of maps in the upgrade: TBT road details (the default road maps that we've all been used to) and two types of 'off-road' maps: 'Standard' includes detailed road information and data on 'most' inland lakes (includes depth contours, boat ramps, etc.) and 'NauticPath' data which includes no road information, but has the most details for off-shore use.

Here's a snapshot of the TBT road map with the marine navaids turned on:

Usable, but not the best.

If you turn on the 'NauticPath' maps, here's the same area of Deception Pass:

Zooming in a little bit, you can see there are marine-specific details on these charts. Here, I've selected a Marina icon:

Pressing the 'Info' button retrieves the information for this marina, just like any other POI, but in true detailed form, it lists all the services available as well as contact information:

Another neat feature is the realtime tide and current information. If you look on the chart, you'll see little 'C' & 'T' icons. These represent datapoints for current and tide data. If you zoom in close enough (or click the icon), these icons turn dynamic and show the current state of the conditions in these areas:

The arrow represents the current direction or tide movement and the number represents the speed or current level.

If you click on the icon itself and press the 'Info' button, you get detailed information for each station's data:

Check out the max. speed (in MPH) of the current through this area!

You'll see little 'Informational Note' icons on the chart, selecting the one for this area returns the following information:

(This was one area we didn't try to navigate until we got a fast boat, and even then it could be hairy)

What they've basically given us in this map update is the contents of the new iWay 600c (without the FM modulator and upgraded display). If you own a boat, this would make the iWay a much more cost-effective solution. (I can't help you with the aviation database yet, David :( )

·
Registered
358 Posts
Jon, is the for the Iway 500C? I just purchased one and upgraded to the 1.7 upgrade - I didn't realize it had map info upgrade also....

If this is for the 500C, then I've GOT to play with that some since I live on a boat - a very SLOW 40 ft sailboat.

73 de Ken H.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your unit has the latest maps installed, then you should be good to go. I believe the 'Default' skin in 1.7.0 has the correct programming for the 'Off Road' button to allow you to select from the multiple maps.

David M. just received a replacement unit with Q3-05 maps installed, but they include the Marine chart information so you can't go by just the version number.

Since you live on a boat, these charts should come in handy... :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is there a way for me to check what version of the maps I have on my unit? Since I just purchased my unit a couple of weeks ago, am I required to pay for the map upgrade?

Thanks for all the help Jon,

Ken H>

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The update should be free if you purchased within the last 90 days is what I read on the gpspassion site.

David M.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Press the 'Menu' button until you see the button labeled 'Device Information' (button location is dependent on which skin is active)

In the bottom of the window it will tell you the NavTeq map version. The updated maps are labeled as Q1-06, most of the current shipping units are labeled as Q3-05.

If you call LEI extras and tell them that you just purchased your unit and you'd like the upgrade DVD, they'll ask you to fax them your proof of purchase, as well as the serial number information from either the shipping box or from the bottom of the unit itself.

If you purchased within three months of the update release date, you should get it for free, 4-6 months is $49.99 and 6+ months is full-freight - $74.99.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey that's alright - Did I just understand you to say if I purchased in the last few weeks (2 weeks ago) I should get the update free? I'll call them tomorrow and fax them the invoice and see how it goes.

I found the info - I'd found the screen before when I upgraded to ver 1.7.0, and tonight I checked and I have the Q3-05 maps.

Thanks folks - ya'll sure are great. This weekend I'll be doing some riding, and next weekend we've got a 4 day trip planned up thru the North East quadrant of Alabama - Gadsden, Guntersville, Scottsboro, and across Sand mountian, then back down thru Cheaha, then heading back to Mobile on Sunday.

This will be fun with the GPS - heck, that ride has been fun in the past without a GPS, but it'll be even better with a GPS>

Ken H.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
KenH, you're coming into our neck of the woods next weekend. We can send you info on the routes we like if you're interested.

David M.
[email protected] is our email address. Maybe I could send it in .usr format :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks David for the trip info offer - check your email.

I just called Lorance and have faxed my invoice and serial number. They said they would get the DVD update in the mail to me at no charge.

Thanks for the heads up on how to get the update.

Ken H>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts