GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My searches have not revealed the info I need to understand just "how and where" to best to mount the iWay500c on my 05. I also am hoping to get some suggestions about how best to wire it. I would like to hot wire the unit so it is alive when you turn it on. Am not worried about forgetting to turn it off or draining the battery.

I had the GPS mounted on my VTX and was satisfied with it.

Also interested in suggestions about headphones to use, and where to buy headset to use with the GW radio and CB.

Yes, I am asking for a LOT of info (he$$, I NEED a LOT of info). Does anyone do tech sessions? Hope I am not expecting toooooo much. :oops: Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Can you tell I am a new GW'r? :roll:

Todd

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Send Jon at this website a PM after ya view his website, great stuff and it's what I used, it's easy and looks great!! :wink:

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/

:flg:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I installed a RAM mount on the throttle-side handlebar and mount the 500c there. I run the power/audio cord from there underneath the triple tree to the space under the left pocket and use black ty-wraps to secure it to the handlebar. Almost looks like it was made for it.

Jon of GoldWingGadgetshas a terrific dash mount that puts the 500c directly in front of you and offers a radar detector mount as well, but there appears to be an inssue with Tulsa windshields. Don't know if that has been cleared up or not.

David M.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave and David, THANKS for the helpful info. This should surely help me along the way to getting the GPS installed and operational. I appreciate you taking the time to respond with your good info. :D

Todd

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Todd,
Ya got a PM. :wink: :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
I used the dash mount for a very short time. It sounds good, but if you have bifoculs or variable focus glasses you'll probably find you have to lift/move your head everytime you want to read something.

I went to the http://www.electrokinetics.com/ek_gps_mount.htm. A lot easier to install, no drilling holes in your dash, no removing your windshield and has worked great. It is also much closer so you can use buttons/menus if need be a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jerry and DC, thank you for the gooooood stuff. It is very interesting that what works for one may not be the same for someone else. Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat, or mount a gps. :lol:

I appreciate the help and you taking the time to respond. Thanks again. I will check out both ideas before deciding.

Todd

·
Registered
252 Posts
Todd,

To get the most bang for your buck, please take a look at the IWAY-CMS from Mounting Innovations. You can mount or remove your iWay in seconds and the quick release mount has a safety latch that prevents your GPS from accidently falling off your bike. The mount also allows you to swap between your GPS and video or still camera so that you can tape your ride.

The mount is rock solid, unobtrusive and very versatile.

If you want to video tape your ride, attach a mounting plate to your camera and then just clip out the IWay and clip in your video camera and away you go.

The mount is made of aluminum and copper and will not rust. The Iway bracket that I fabricate is 12 guage steel and repositions the mounting plate from the rear of the IWay to underneith the IWay to give you almost unlimited mounting positions.

Go to http://www.MountingInnovations.com to see video demos.

Please visit my website, or e-mail me if you would like additional details.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW!!! Barry, thank you for your terrific response. The pictures are extremely helpful. I am going to take a careful look at the links you provided. Man, I am getting some fabulous suggestions. The problem may be deciding where to mount each one. Looks like I am going to need a bigger bike. :lol:

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. :D

Todd

·
Registered
29 Posts
IWay 500 Mount and headsets

I use Jon's mount and his wiring harness. It works great. I also have tri-focals :cry: and I do not have to move my head to see the display. I have had other GPS units on the left handlebar, and I really prefer Jon's dash mount over the RAM mount. You barely take your eyes off the roads with this mount.
I also use the Edsets which really work great for me.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I've got a new bracket that adapts to the same quick release tripod mount that Barry uses on his system. I've made two versions, a small one that just attaches to the quick release plate and a larger version that completely covers the heatsink to provide some protection from rain intrusion (my last one had a leak at the heatsink). The power, antenna & USB connectors are all accessible.

I've got about 2,000 miles on the prototype and it's been working great. It has the added benefit of turning the dash mount into an extension of the heat sink for added cooling capacity.

I'll be having a batch of these made during my next mount production run.

·
Registered
252 Posts
iWay 500c Mount for Jon's mount

Folks,

The QREMM-RM is a bundled package that includes the bracket and all stainless steel mounting hardware to Mount the Quick Release Mount with Safety latch onto Jon's dash mount and the iWay 500c

I have had rave reviews from many folks that have been using the QREMM-RM with Jon's mount.

The QREMM-RM includes:
* QREMM-SL - Quick Release Mount with 1" RAM Ball
* QREMM-MP Quick Release mounting plate
* Bracket that attaches the QREMM-MP to the rear of the iWay 500c
* Stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers and spacers

Benefits of the QREMM-MP
* Mount or remove your iWay 500c from Jon's mount in seconds
* Do NOT have to loosen or tighten the RAM arm to remove or mount your GPS
* Never have to re-position the GPS again. Set it one time and thats it!
* Has a safety latch to prevent your GPS from accidently falling off.
* The bracket allows you to raise or lower the position of the GPS by rotating the bracket and mounting plate
* All connections are accessible with the bracket attached (USB, Power)
* With an additional mounting plate, you can use the QREMM-Sl to mount a video or still camera on your bike to tape your ride.

For additional information and for video demos, please visit http://www.mountinginnovations.com

Please call or email me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The difference with my new mount and Barry's plate is that there is no RAM hardware involved - the QR mount is attached directly to the mount and the GPS itself.

I've got some pictures of the prototype on my other computer - I'll try to post some later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: iWay 500c Mount for Jon's mount

klbj1961 said:
Folks,

The QREMM-RM is a bundled package that includes the bracket and all stainless steel mounting hardware to Mount the Quick Release Mount with Safety latch onto Jon's dash mount and the iWay 500c
That mount would be even sexier if you incorporated electrical connectors into the mating plates so that you wouldn't have to unplug the cable from the iWay. (There would be a short cable from the iWay to the plate mounted on the iWay, then the power cable from the bike would plug into the plate that stays on the bike.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have Jon's dashmount and the Quick Release System which are both terriffic! Mounting Innovations worked with me even to the point of premounting some of the hardware since they knew I was putting it on Jon's dashmount. Both Jon and Barry are great guys to work with! :clap2:

Here is a link to some pictures if you would like to see more of the mount on Maelstrom. http://members.tripod.com/~kennharvey/goldwing/Dash.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jon's Mount

All I know is... you can't go wrong w/ Jon's mount. He puts his heart and soul into every one he makes. It's really a great product. You won't be unhappy... and if, by chance, you are, he'll make it right. He's a real stand-up guy! (This is a purely unbiased opinion!)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Re: iWay 500c Mount for Jon's mount

fastgriz said:
... That mount would be even sexier if you incorporated electrical connectors into the mating plates so that you wouldn't have to unplug the cable from the iWay. (There would be a short cable from the iWay to the plate mounted on the iWay, then the power cable from the bike would plug into the plate that stays on the bike.)
I actually protyped that exact concept - how much is it worth to you?

$23 for a cable with the iWay pins, $10 for the weatherproof connectors on the mount and bike cable, another $15 to add a matching connector to your car cable, $20 for the fabrication/assembly labor - is it worth $80/90 to you for this convenience?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts