GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a set of used J & M headsets with my new Wing. I can not figure out how it bolts up to etc to my Arai SZ/M

Anyone have the original installl instructions ? Could you scan me them? Or at least a few photos of how it mounts to the helmet?

My emai is [email protected]

TIA,
John

·
Registered
239 Posts
The should have clamps that loosen to fit on the bottom lip area of your helmet. Just loosen the two small allen head screws (try not take them all the way off) then slide them onto the area of the helmet you want to have them at and tighten the screws. Oh, by the way you probably know this but just my two cents worth.
Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
biker1usa said:
The should have clamps that loosen to fit on the bottom lip area of your helmet. Just loosen the two small allen head screws (try not take them all the way off) then slide them onto the area of the helmet you want to have them at and tighten the screws. Oh, by the way you probably know this but just my two cents worth.
Good luck
Mike
I know that as I have had other makes of headsets in the past on my SZ/M. The J &M has a loose mike boom that somehow fits in the clamp and I'm unsure how it mounts. Also there seems to be a lot of excess wiring I would like to kow how to hide it ( this is made for a 3/4 helmet) A photo is worth 1000 words.

Your 2 cents were worthless and will be promptly refunded at the door :lol:

John

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Have you tested them out before you install them?

The Excess wire is stuffed behind the inside helmet shell and foam , You will need something like a popcicle stick (comes with orginial) you will also need a small allen tool to loosen the boom clamp that slides between the helmet shell and liner.

That about it for instructions. The speakers go in the innsid ear space (one on each side) then work the excess wire around the inside shell with the wooden stick.

Save yourself some greif and Test your set up FIRST to make sure they work seeing that they are used.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hokie said:
Have you tested them out before you install them?

The Excess wire is stuffed behind the inside helmet shell and foam , You will need something like a popcicle stick (comes with orginial) you will also need a small allen tool to loosen the boom clamp that slides between the helmet shell and liner.

That about it for instructions. The speakers go in the innsid ear space (one on each side) then work the excess wire around the inside shell with the wooden stick.

Save yourself some greif and Test your set up FIRST to make sure they work seeing that they are used.
These work great and look to have no time it, they came with my new 06 Wing. Just seems that there is a lot of excess wire, also the boom is not affixed to the clamp and do not know if the round part of the boom or the square plastic piece should be tightened in it?

This is to sombody who actually owns a SZ/M could would you please send a close up photo on the clamp/mike assy. Also it seems that the clamp has to be located much more forward than my previous headsets Harley and Airrider.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
DUH

This is going to sound idiotic I know. But did you bother to contact J&M directly? They really do support their eqipment. www.JMCorp.com

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
John at J&M is pretty good as customer service. Give the shop a call and someone there can direct you. Their web site is: jmcorp.com

How to contact J&M
For product information, technical support, a printed catalog or general inquiries [email protected]

For changes in customer database information, returns, or to check status of an existing order [email protected]

Problems with the website [email protected]

John Lazzeroni, J&M Corporation President [email protected]

Melinda Carevich, J&M Corporation Vice President [email protected]

Phone Toll Free in U.S and Canada
1-800-358-0881
Outside the U.S.A. 1-520-624-7000
FAX (24 hour) 1-520-624-6202

J&M Corporation
1415 South Cherry Avenue
Tucson, Arizona 85713-1997
USA

Hours of operation: Monday thru Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM MST (closed Saturday, Sunday & Holidays)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: DUH

preacher said:
This is going to sound idiotic I know. But did you bother to contact J&M directly? They really do support their eqipment. www.JMCorp.com
Yup but I thought someone on this forum owned a SZ/M and could just take a photo as that is all I need?

I will call J&M and see if they can supply a manual or a photo. Being Sunday I figured it was a simple send me a photo and I would be finished with it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Most of use are "photo posting challenged". The boom mic fits inside the two pices of the clamp. There is a pocket in there that the bulbous piece of the end of the boom fits into and the other half secures it to keep it from twisting. Take one half of the clamp and start putting the end of the boom in it and you'll surely see where it fits.....there are only so many pockets in there.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
steve s said:
Most of use are "photo posting challenged". The boom mic fits inside the two pices of the clamp. There is a pocket in there that the bulbous piece of the end of the boom fits into and the other half secures it to keep it from twisting. Take one half of the clamp and start putting the end of the boom in it and you'll surely see where it fits.....there are only so many pockets in there.
Guess that I got it correctly then, also the boom on the mike must be shorter then then other makes of headsets that I have used in the past. As far as posting a photo I did not need it posted as I did provide my email addess and I suspect that most know how to send a photo. Below are a photos how I have it mounted, the red star is where all my previous headsets mounted.

Thanks,
John

G

·
JJR said:
biker1usa said:
Good luck
Mike
I know that as I have had other makes of headsets in the past on my SZ/M. The J &M has a loose mike boom that somehow fits in the clamp and I'm unsure how it mounts. Also there seems to be a lot of excess wiring I would like to kow how to hide it ( this is made for a 3/4 helmet) A photo is worth 1000 words.

John
The mike boom should NOT be loose from the clamp. It is not a separate piece. The mike and boom and the clamp are a one piece assembly, at least on my J&M headset it is. Sounds like maybe you got a broken unit. Contact J & M. Maybe they can fix it.

Good luck. Ride safe.

G

·
JJR said:
biker1usa said:
Good luck
Mike

John
The mike boom should NOT be loose from the clamp. It is not a separate piece. The mike and boom and the clamp are a one piece assembly, at least on my J&M headset it is. Sounds like maybe you got a broken unit. Contact J & M. Maybe they can fix it.

Good luck. Ride safe.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IBTrike said:
JJR said:
biker1usa said:
Good luck
Mike

John

Good luck. Ride safe.
Nope according to there site the boom is a seperate item so if you need to replace it you can. On some of the cheaper sets I see what appears to be a 1 piece clamp and boom, that is what threw me as my previous headsets they were all one piece. But after looking at J & M site closely there boom is definatly a seperate item

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I just installed two J&M Elete headsets into my two helmets, one an HJC and a Vega. The mike and boom are indeed seperate pieces. I agree that there seems to be an excess of wiring with these headsets. Perhaps there are helmets that require that much wire but they must be very large helmets. I had to fold the excess wire under the side pieces that surround your ear. Not the neatest solution, but the only workabe one that I could see.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Allen Dye said:
I just installed two J&M Elete headsets into my two helmets, one an HJC and a Vega. The mike and boom are indeed seperate pieces. I agree that there seems to be an excess of wiring with these headsets. Perhaps there are helmets that require that much wire but they must be very large helmets. I had to fold the excess wire under the side pieces that surround your ear. Not the neatest solution, but the only workabe one that I could see.
Allen,
Thanks I worked it out, what really confused me was that the mike boom was shorter than the ones I had used in the past. Its all toghter and all I need is warmer weather and my seat back from Russell and I'l be ready to roll.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts