GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
4,476 Posts
I haven't yet... although I asked lots of questions about it with the J&M folks at the NYC motorcycle show a few weeks ago. I've already got 2 of their Elite series headsets, and the GL1800 GPS/cell phone/radar detector integration unit on my bike.

The neat part about it for someone like me who rides solo 90% of the time is that I don't have to equip both front & rear seats with it if I don't want to. Each headset position uses a separate transmitter, so I could save money by just purchasing an un-corded setup for me, and retain the status quo on the rear seat for those few times I ride 2-up.

However, I admit that I too am waiting to see someone's else's results with it before I pull the trigger... espcially in light of the fact that it's not returnable/refundable.

If I understand their policy on Bluetooth items correctly... once you buy that sucker, it's yours, regardless of how well it works on your bike, or how well you like it (unless there's a defect in the product, that is).

Of course, if John is watching this thread and he'd like to comp me a setup for review... I'd be glad to post my results for everyone! ;)

· Registered
20,601 Posts
Wing World has a review on the J&M Wireless system this month. Just glanced at it. It is not clear if they use the Elite series speakers in it. I don't know if the bugs are out of it yet

· Registered
541 Posts
I just bought the J&M Bluetooth 277 series headset and haven't installed it in my helmet yet, but have charged it and linked it to my iPhone just to see how easy it connected. The sound was clear (except when my iPhone was too close to the headset, then it started buzzing) and I was able to turn the volume up well beyond what I needed to hear clearly. I also bought the dongle that connects to the wing's intercom system, allowing you to hear the goodies from the bike through the headset. You'll need an extra cable for the dongle to connect it though. Also, if you want to connect an ipod, radar detector or other device, you'll need yet another cable for those. Your passenger has the ability to connect their wired headset directly to your Bluetooth headset - there's a connector on the back of the J&M 277 that allows this. This is my first experience with J&M products, but so far I like what I see. When my finally pick up my new Goldwing (still waiting due to this Kentucky ice storm) I'll test everything and post my review of the system. I'd also like to point out that J&M has been very responsive with all of my emails to them asking various questions. So they get extra points for that. I think John might have answered a couple personally. I would also like to try some of the other mentioned systems on this forum at some point. They seem to have their own satisfied customers.

· Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i asked this same thing last month and no one posted that they had it, and used it

wing world reviews, i wouldnt put much stock in a magazine that seems to rave about the things made by advertisers

· Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
4,476 Posts
Tom what about the N-COM from Nolan? I have been thinking about that one.
Sorry, but I don't have any direct experience with the N-COM system.

I did try a Nolan N-102 helmet during the last few months of 2007, but with my J&M headset snapped into the N-COM recess port (J&M makes an adapter that fits). It worked well, but I wasn't happy with the helmet itself. Not that there was anything wrong with it... but it just didnt fit my head right.

Although I've never heard any bad comments about the N-COM system, I'm sure lots of others here have it and can tell you more about it.

· Registered
635 Posts
It seems to me (if I remember correctly) that there are a lot of disclaimers in the J & M lit regarding this new set-up (like results may vary or it may not work as described). I believe there is still a lot of bugs to be worked out of these new blue tooth setups.

For the last 6 years (60,000 miles) I've ridden with a "wired" setup. It really does not bother me. Plus the requirement to have to charge the battery for the helmet (probably every night while on a trip) would be a pain.

I'll stick with "wired" for now. But will monitor the development.

Good luck guys!

ki-speed (Mark)

· Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
or how about it hearing orders when you ride past a mac donalds ??

or that buzzing when you ride past a banks security system, or close to a grocery store automatic door

i read enough about them, that i will wait

let others spend the $$ and get to be guinea pigs

now if someone wants to let me work the bugs out of one,

i am game

but my money stays in my sock drawer, until its proven

· Registered
628 Posts
I just really don't have that much of an issue with the headset cord. It works really well and you never have to charge the batteries. Just sounds a little too gimmicky for me. I like easy, reliable and trouble free. Oh, yeah, did I mention cheap?
By the way, Loren, which drawer IS your sock drawer? I mean, you know, I'm just curious.........

· Registered
21,696 Posts
I just really don't have that much of an issue with the headset cord. It works really well and you never have to charge the batteries. Just sounds a little too gimmicky for me. I like easy, reliable and trouble free. Oh, yeah, did I mention cheap?
By the way, Loren, which drawer IS your sock drawer? I mean, you know, I'm just curious.........
i hear Mr Weeks sold most of his socks on ebay because his sock drawerssssses were over flowing :lol:

i don't mind the cord while driving but would like to avoid messing with it at the start or end of day and everytime u stop somewhere

for now the battery and all the other possible problems seems like a lot more trouble than the cord but i will keep my hopes up for a better system someday

· Registered
2,413 Posts
There must be someone else working on this besides J&.... I was never impressed with their gear. I would however pay a premium for a good wireless set up. I hate the cord, had nothing but trouble with EdSets.... dang cords kept falling out and dragging down the highway at 80mph. Even the fix they sent out of shrink wrap wouldnt hold. Not keen on the way they hook to the helmet but best quality sound of the ones I tried.
Anyway SO and I dislike the cords enough now that we have gone without for 2 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.