GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm frustrated enough with the Sena headsets and Freewire combination, tnat I'm willing to consider other options. The only one I see is the J&M BlueHub for pre-2018 bikes with CB. Has anyone used this combination? If so how well does it work? It will over double the cost of replacing my headsets if I go the J&M route, and wondered if it was worth the cost.

·
IronMan
17,112 Posts
Wow from what ive read most happy with the sena ??

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have the 10 Sena and very happy with it...........Although I just use it for telephone only ...NO music

Ronnie

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have both the Sena 20s and J&M BT-04.

I purchased the J&M BT-04 after having issues with music quality and intercom with more than 2 bikes.

Here's my take on the Sena: Great call quality, Intercom is very good, noise cancellation not as good as it could be, and Music quality sucks.

My Take on the J&M BT-04: Call quality is good, but Sena's is better; however, I have learned about the mic control on the 2018 goldwing, and setting it to -7 per J&M seems to help a lot. Have not used the intercome much as I only had one, just receieved another now need to install. Noise cancellation is decent...but again haven't tested it. Music quality is simply outstanding!

Most of my friends have Sena units so when we ride with them we take the helmets with the Sena, when I ride solo I take the BT-04, 2up we will be testing the BT-04.

I have been researching the Scala Rider PackTalk Bold units.

Riding one or two up, I would take the J&M over the Sena all day. If riding with friends, you need to have the same setups as connected different manufacturers units is a pain and doesn't work very well. Also, J&M customer service is far superior to Sena.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Stay tuned as I have just received my new Shoei GT Air II with J & M BT-04 installed. I also have the BLU HUB still in the box and will install on my 2014 Wing this weekend.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sena

Wow from what ive read most happy with the sena ??
It really depends on what you are doing with it as to how well their stuff works. Sena has had popcorn noise in the 20S series for years that comes and goes. It is especially bad when you are paired with their camera. The intercom is nothing short of flaky for more than 2 - 3 people. It just will not stay connected. Also when you lose a connection, it does a poor job at auto reconnecting. People have had lots of trouble with mic sensitivity with the 30K. Some cannot turn the sensitivity down far enough to keep wind noise out of the mic. The noise cancelling is FAR inferior to the Packtalk and Pactalk Bold headsets. People have had LOTS of trouble with the mesh networking on the 30K especially when combined with the Freewire. The effective distance for the intercom on the Sena units is not anything close to what they claim. There are more issues, but these are some of the main ones.

For me, my primary issue is the inconsistency of the system. Sometimes it is quiet, sometimes it has so much popcorn noise, I shut it off. Sometimes it refuses to reconnect to my GROM music interface. Sometimes it does not connect to my Zumo. Sometimes these problems fix themselves, and at other times I have to shut everything down to get them to reconnect. Sometimes just going down the road the headset looses connection with something and I've had to re-pair the devices to get them to work again. Initially when the 20S was released, the FM radio in it was so bad it was completely useless for many people, even in population centers.

The SMH10 seemed to be pretty reliable. When Sena released the 20S, that was a disaster. Users could not get it to work as claimed. It took them about a year to get it to work most of the time for most of their users. When they released the 30K, it was far worse even than the 20S. Many people have demanded their money back from Sena for the 30K because it worked so badly. Some have gotten it, but most have not. Even though the mesh of the 30K has issues, they seem to have spent more time and effort on the +mesh adapter to get older headsets to participate in the mesh than they have in actually getting mesh to work right.

I know a fellow in California who has been working for months with senior tech support staff with Sena dealing with the 30K and the Freewire. Sena still does not even know what the problem is, let alonw how to fix it.

Sena suppport has 3 solutions to all these problems. 1) Update the firmware, 2) Reset to factory defaults 3) Replace the headset. It can take over 1/2 hour to talk to someone that knows nothing besides, "Have you done a factory reset on that?"

Sena is far more concerned with new features and new products than they are with making what they sell work. They seem to test everything in a lab and not out on the road. Lots of features that seem to work in a controlled environment fall flat when you put them out in the real world.

For every one of these problems I have listed there are people who do not have the issue and are using the feature. That to me speaks of inadequate quality control on the part of Sena. Just like in my case, sometimes things work and sometimes they don't.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stay tuned as I have just received my new Shoei GT Air II with J & M BT-04 installed. I also have the BLU HUB still in the box and will install on my 2014 Wing this weekend.
It looks like there are not a lot of J&M Bluetooth users on the board. I guess I can understand that considering how expensive it is.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I use the J&M BlueHub with wired J&M headsets for phone calls. BlueHub only sends phone calls to the front headset, and disconnects the Stereo and intercom while a phone call (or another program that emulates a phone call, ie. Waze, Google maps etc)is in process. There are times the emulating program locks up the front headset until you figure out which program has taken over the output...

That is the only frustration I’ve experienced. I chose wired over wireless because I HATE having so many items to plug in to charge at night. I had early model Sena’s and gave up on them for various quirks that were a distraction to me and made my time in the saddle stressful. If my J&M went down, I’d replace it with the same. I use a cheap BT receiver through the Aux for my music so my passenger can hear it as well, as the BH only sends it through the driver headset.

Hope that makes sense...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have the J&M Bluetooth/digital music player. Receive and send calls, ay music and change tracks on an SD card or USB stick. Works ok, it just doesnt like it when you press one of buttons (forget which one) on the radio. It goes into hype-lock and keeps playing even after you shut the ignition off. Have to disconnect the battery to reset it.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I am pondering a return to the CB world myself. I will not go the Freewire route. My little hacked dongle (an old WingWing post) isn't working though I haven't isolated the problem to that and not the CB itself.

Anyway, if I had to do it tomorrow, I would probably get a throat mic and run a wire to the driver's headset jack mic inputs, and use the OEM PTT. And keep using my Sena 30k.

That would give me the talk part. To listen, either run the CB over speakers, or BT through SM10 to Sena 30k.

I haven't done it yet so I can't confirm how #$% brilliant that is.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Sena Freewire and Sena 20s solution works for CB. But for more than 2 Sena 20s intercom the popping and crackling issue takes the fun out of communicating with your other riding buddies. Been there done that with Sena support, they suck. Considering going to Pack Talk Bold but can't get my riding buddies to stomach the cost...

David

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have finished installing J & M's BT-04 and Blu Hub in my 2014 Wing. My use of the 2 is for a minimal purpose. I will only be using the Blu Hub for myself as my wife no longer has any desire to ride. But, if she does care to take a ride the Blu Hub allows for the continued use of the cord to her helmet. My main reason for getting these 2 was to eliminate the cord for my helmet.

Also I do not care to have my cell phone connected as I do not like the distraction of a phone call while riding a motorcycle.

When I ride with those in our riding group we all have CBs and a CB works very well with the BT-04 and Blu Hub.

The Blu Hub install went well with the only issue was disconnecting a couple of the bikes connectors. I told my step-daughter she should leave at one point as I was going to start cursing while trying to pulling them apart.

The BT-04/Blu Hub pairs effortlessly and was successful on my first attempt. The fidelity of the BT-04 speakers matches the J & M top end (can't remember the model number) speakers that I have in the RF-1200 that this GT Air II replaces.

As far as the Shoei GT Air II, I was pleased that the helmet is much better at bringing in cooling air at greatly reduced wind noise. The drop down internal tinted shield worked a lot better than I expected.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I’m watching this one as I just ordered a Shoei J-cruise. I’m going to be heading down to Mudspringers for an audio system install when it gets here. Randy has tried to talk me into the Bluetooth system with the Neotec but I went with wired. I’m still using the flip front helmet so I’m not sure I can mix and match. We shall see.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Packtalk

The Sena Freewire and Sena 20s solution works for CB. But for more than 2 Sena 20s intercom the popping and crackling issue takes the fun out of communicating with your other riding buddies. Been there done that with Sena support, they suck. Considering going to Pack Talk Bold but can't get my riding buddies to stomach the cost...

David
Unfortunately the Packtalk does not support the CB on older Goldwings as far as I know anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is another option that is not Bluetooth. It supports all functions of the Honda Communication System (Audio/Intercom/CB/Nav). The name is Freedom Cordless Headset. A number of us in the Southwest are using this system. One op or Two up doesn't matter. You will need a passenger volume controller for a One up headset install. Battery runtime is approximately 40 hours. It does operate in the same radio frequency as Bluetooth but does not use the Bluetooth protocol, therefore it will not connect to your Bluetooth devices (phones, GPS, etc.). Its purpose is to provide a cordless headset as a direct corded headset replacement. If your bike will function the same as it does today. The website is http://www.freedomheadset.com. Best to call to order.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunate

There is another option that is not Bluetooth. It supports all functions of the Honda Communication System (Audio/Intercom/CB/Nav). The name is Freedom Cordless Headset. A number of us in the Southwest are using this system. One op or Two up doesn't matter. You will need a passenger volume controller for a One up headset install. Battery runtime is approximately 40 hours. It does operate in the same radio frequency as Bluetooth but does not use the Bluetooth protocol, therefore it will not connect to your Bluetooth devices (phones, GPS, etc.). Its purpose is to provide a cordless headset as a direct corded headset replacement. If your bike will function the same as it does today. The website is http://www.freedomheadset.com. Best to call to order.
Well, unfortunately for me, everything on my bike it bluetooth at this point. Even with the irritation of Sena, I will stay there. I'm hoping to hold out for a couple of years and then will upgrade to a 2018+ Goldwing so I can kiss the Freewire goodbye!.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts