GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a J&M cb that has a lot of static. In the sound system coming through the helmat, there is an underlying crackling that worstens greatly above 30mph. When transmitting, the crackling is so bad it is hard to understand the person with the VTX transmitting. The cracking does not seem to increas with engine speed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I installed a J&M cb that has a lot of static. In the sound system coming through the helmat, there is an underlying crackling that worstens greatly above 30mph. When transmitting, the crackling is so bad it is hard to understand the person with the VTX transmitting. The cracking does not seem to increas with engine speed. Any ideas?
Check the tightness on the antenna nut, the antenna ground or the nut on the bottom of the antenna. Mine was loose at the antenna, and caused interference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another thing you might want to check, is that if you are riding solo, turn the intercom volume down (I think you pull the volume knob out to set the intercom volume).

We ran across a similar situation on my wife's VTX 1800 when we first mounted the J&M unit on hers.

HTH

Dean

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I will check both and did not know about pulling out on the volume control.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Greg,

I have a Mic-Mutes kit version especially for the JMCB-2003-DU. It won't help though with when you transmit, but will greatly improve the stereo, CB RX and intercom audio when it is effected by the open mics. It works the same as when installed on the Goldwing system.

Now for transmit noise, look for a loose helmet component. A rattling visor or faceshield can be picked up by the mic. These pesky noises won't even be heard by the naked ear due to the normal background noise when riding. Also remove the windsock to look to see that the either mic is not turned around facing outward and away from the face.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts