GL1800Riders Forums banner

J&M CB radio????

980 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KYBLUE 
#1 ·
#3 ·
$300 ?

That's a much better price than Honda's unit!

I would consider that as an alternative to buying Honda's overpriced radio. Do we see that it CAN be done for $300 instead of $800? Honda already has the controls built in to the bike. It should be little more than plug-n-play.

How about Honda coming out with an FRS/GMRS plug-n-play unit? Just relable the "squelch" switch to "code" and you are ready.

Sorry. I lost control and started asking for too much. :oops:

#4 ·
I bought one off the Classifieds forum here for my wife's 650. It's a very good unit for the price.

In theory, it'd work on the GL1800 if you find a way to mount it to our bars. However, it'd be a kludge to hook up if you wanted to use the bike's audio.

Basically, you could take a 5 pin DIN to stereo mini plug adaptor and run the rider's headset to the AUX input of the J&M CB. That way, you'd have use of the AM/FM/WX radio and the GL's AUX input. You'd have to hook your helmet speakers up the J&M CB, so unless it was the intercom model, you'd lose the intercom features. You'd also lose the ability to play through the bike's speakers.

#5 ·
My wife has one one here Valkyrie, it works much better then the handy talkies mounted on the handle bars. It comes with a noise filter which works fairly well. What she likes best is that she can run her XM radio through it so she has tunes as she rides.

#6 ·
Thanks, guess I'd better start looking for her......

Some replied as to mounting on a GL1800, it's for her Silver Wing scooter..cool bike, she's going to trike it out with the Denson trike kit this winter...should look great...I'll post some pictures when it's finished..

#8 ·
KYBLUE said:
Thanks, guess I'd better start looking for her......

Some replied as to mounting on a GL1800, it's for her Silver Wing scooter..cool bike, she's going to trike it out with the Denson trike kit this winter...should look great...I'll post some pictures when it's finished..
KYBLUE,

Maybe that was me.

I am thinking that for $500 less than the Honda unit, I could have CB communications.

I have other options besides the J&M unit in the CB field. I can also rig up an FRS/GMRS radio that will allow me to keep in touch for less than $100.

I am just evaluating my options before I do something.

#9 ·
No problem Rich....yeah I know, Honda sure took a lesson from HD...
"you want what, yes sir, that'll be 100.00/1000.00...... :cry:

Thanks goodness HD comes with one, I would hate to think what they would charge.. :shock:

#10 ·
I've got one on Skeeter, my SWing. It works very well, but make sure you get the right mounting bracket and the CB antenna kit to go along with it. All in all, you'll wind up spending close to $500 by time all is said and done. In addition to CB, it has a stereo input (thus the XM connections I and others use) and seven weather channels. Works flawlessly, so far.

Mesquite Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.