GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new J&M CFBR-1800, a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, a Motorola Droid MAXX smart phone and a 2012 GL1800 level 3. Installed all as instructed by J&M instructions as follows.
I paired the CFBR with the Droid MAXX and making and recieving calls worked fine. With that pairing I could NOT hear the zumo talking to me (next turn etc) through the head sets . I tried two different headphones.

Next I paired the CFBR to the Zumo (that process unpaired the phone) and now I can hear Zumo instructions through the head set. Next I paired the phone to the Zumo and all phone Icons appeared on the zumo. (ie phone,voice call ETC) When I made a call, most of the time it will ring once or twice and drop the call. When it does connect the conversation on both ends is not understandable.

I've talked to Serria Electric and J&M and they tell me that it's common for the calling to be like I've just described above. Humm, I thought that's what I bought. The only way I can use it is to pair the phone to the CFBR and NOT pair the phone to the Zumo. I can just turn the volume up on the Zumo and listed to GPS instruction through the internal speaker on the Zumo.

The service from Serria Electric and J&M techies was very polite and informative, but no one has a sollution. I'd sure appreciate any advice or sollutions to my problem.

Thank You.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a similar set up on a 2013 level 3 Goldwing. I have a Zumo 660 paired with
the J&M CFBR Gl1800. I have an inexpensive LG dumb phone paired with the Zumo.
My calls are very clear and the people I've talked to on the bike can hear me fine.

I just read on the electronics board that there is a new firmware update for the
Zumo 660's and Zumo 665's. One of the items it's supposed to fix is
it fixes issues with phone calls initiated from the device being tough to hear.

Maybe the update will help with your problems.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zumo update

Thanks for the tip on the update. I had just checked Garmins website yesterday and got the 4.90 update and this morning got the 5.00 update. Haven't had time to check it out, but will try. I had heard that Garmin was working on an update that might solve my problem. I don't understand why a big company like J&M would put out a device that is built to work with a Garmin product wouldn't know about this problem. The J&M device is very expensive in my opinion and doesn't work with companion devices like the zumo.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a new J&M CFBR-1800, a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, a Motorola Droid MAXX smart phone and a 2012 GL1800 level 3. Installed all as instructed by J&M instructions as follows.
I paired the CFBR with the Droid MAXX and making and recieving calls worked fine. With that pairing I could NOT hear the zumo talking to me (next turn etc) through the head sets . I tried two different headphones.

Next I paired the CFBR to the Zumo (that process unpaired the phone) and now I can hear Zumo instructions through the head set. Next I paired the phone to the Zumo and all phone Icons appeared on the zumo. (ie phone,voice call ETC) When I made a call, most of the time it will ring once or twice and drop the call. When it does connect the conversation on both ends is not understandable.

I've talked to Serria Electric and J&M and they tell me that it's common for the calling to be like I've just described above. Humm, I thought that's what I bought. The only way I can use it is to pair the phone to the CFBR and NOT pair the phone to the Zumo. I can just turn the volume up on the Zumo and listed to GPS instruction through the internal speaker on the Zumo.

The service from Serria Electric and J&M techies was very polite and informative, but no one has a sollution. I'd sure appreciate any advice or sollutions to my problem.

Thank You.
Unfortunately, most companies like J & M doesn't guarantee 100% bluetooth functionality.They know that all bluetooth is not created equal and with that being said, their support is limited to what they have tested. By any chance have you tried some other brand phones that have bluetooth connectivity? And, are you sure that the CFBR can have more than one device connected to it at the same time? Not all devices can do that. Did you go under settings on your Droid Maxx and check both media and phone for bluetooth functionality? If not, then I would do that and retry. I use the same phone on my J & M bluetooth but not the one you have and it works great. I tried yours when they were first developed and not completely ready for distribution. I had issues that they didn't even know about and at first didn't seem too interested in my concern since they supposedly tested the product. I sent it back with detailed information for testing, the main man called me and admitted that my complaint was valid and that he never heard that noise because he didn't think to try it the way i did. He decided that the bluetooth program had to be rewritten to remove the noise that was present. The unit I use now cost less and allows for both the driver and passenger to talk simultaneously on the phone unlike the first one I tried. I use the gps in my Maxx for navigation.

Big H

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J&M CFBR Gl1800

I understand the compatibility issue. I don't see any info on J&M website about that nor has it been memtioned in conversations I've had with Sierra or J&M techies. I'm not expert, but if there is a compatibility issue, it's proably with with Garmin Zumo which they have recientlly put out an upgrade 5.00. I have installed but havent had the time to try it out. I did check the Droid Settings and they are set according to your recommendations. The J&M device can only be paired to one device at a time. When I pair it to the Phone, it works fine, but the Zumo doesn't feed audio from the Zumo to my headset. (ie turn right, turn left etc) . If I pair the J&M device, the zumo , it feeds audio to the head sets. Then I have to pair the phone to the zumo , but that's were the problem begins. If I do make a connection on a placed call it will be unintelligible on both ends. Most of the time the call will be dropped after one or two rings. It just seems to me that all should have and interest in this marriage, but none of them have a solution to this issue, that isj, considering I haven't tried the zumo update yet. I really appreciate all of your replies and maybe we can all find a solution.

Thanks a million

1 - 5 of 5 Posts