GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased two Shoei RF1200 helmets and J&M Elite 801 corded headsets (with slim speakers) to replace our aging helmets. I did a quick install of the headsets using the speaker recess provided in the helmets (Velcro'd the speaker only to the helmet and used the 'flat' speaker cover that came from J&M). The fit was great, but the sound was terrible. My wife and I could not converse normally via the intercom and the music sounded tinny with the words mostly unintelligible. I was ready to toss these slim speakers as they did not sound anywhere as good as my old headset. I tried the pillow-type speaker cushion from by old helmet and the sound was excellent, though the cushion was worn out. Ordered new padded cushions from J&M and sound and fitment are awesome! All without cutting the helmet...

The cushions in the photo where the J&M logo is visible are the ones that worked for me.

One confusing thing is that J&M lists both covers as 'padded cushion'.

With this one change, the same speakers went from junk to exquisite! Conversation and music are as good (or better) than the old larger speakers that needed to be cut into the helmet.

I was very frustrated trying to find a fix. Helmets, speaker cutouts and speakers are all so different (not to mention the head inside the helmet). There is a lot of info out there, but none seemed to address my exact problem.

I hope this information can make it easier for someone with similar concerns.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
A couple years back, I purchased a Nolan N104EVO and had the J&M 787 Elite installed in it.

Without question, the absolute worst sound I have ever heard out of anything. No matter how I tweak it....it still makes my ears hurt and causes me headaches.

To this day, one of the worst and most regretful motorcycle-related purchases I have ever made in my life. And Ive been riding since '69.

...sT

·
Registered
20,763 Posts
Yes proper installation to get the best sound is extremely important ! That’s why I was willing to pay the little extra money to have a pro that does it everyday install my last two headsets.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If you're after good sound quality, get a headset that offer an earphone jack that allows you to use noise isolating ear buds. It's a complete game changer. An order of magnitude difference over mincing nuances of EdSets vs J&M vs Sena vs Cardo vs ?? speaker quality.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you're after good sound quality, get a headset that offer an earphone jack that allows you to use noise isolating ear buds. It's a complete game changer. An order of magnitude difference over mincing nuances of EdSets vs J&M vs Sena vs Cardo vs ?? speaker quality.
Recommendations for ear buds please.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I know a few folks who swear by Etymotics as reasonable price / good value. I'm trying out a set, don't really like the tips that came with them (can't get a good seal), have added some Comply foam tips and now they're pretty solid, but jury is still out.

For years I've used a set of S Buds from plugup.com. Solid. Comfortable. The medical grade silicon makes a HUGE difference. But I no longer think they are the best value.

There are tons of options. I've used noise isolating headphones (like an ear plug with an in-ear speaker in it) for YEARS for all travel (I used to fly a lot) because I didn't want to bother hauling around those enormous Bose noise cancelling headphones that everyone else seemed to have. I had a good quality set by Shure but they stuck out a little too much and weren't comfy under a helmet.

In short, NOT noise cancelling. NOT just ear buds -- they have to have an ear plug like seal. Noise isolating. Then player's choice by budget, quality, etc.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My left ear speaker keeps slipping causing me to only hear the audio out of my right ear. Nothing is more aggravating to me than to lose hearing in one ear as your jamming to some good sounds riding down the road.

Guess I will have to get stronger velcro.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My left ear speaker keeps slipping causing me to only hear the audio out of my right ear. Nothing is more aggravating to me than to lose hearing in one ear as your jamming to some good sounds riding down the road.

Guess I will have to get stronger velcro.

I have switched to 3m dual lock fastner. Has a sticky back and the male/female pieces interlock. I've found the 3m product to be stronger than velcro.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Adhesives-Tapes/Industrial-Adhesives-and-Tapes/Fasteners/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fasteners/?N=5002385+8710676+8710815+8710962+8711017+8716423+3294857497&rt=r3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are right about professional installation! My wife's helmet interior padding started to disintegrate about ten days prior to a group ride to the Sierras. By the time we chose helmets I ended up doing the install two days before our ride. I figured I could sent them out to J&M in the future if we weren't happy with the DIY results.

I made a few assumptions before attempting installation ..
1) The slim speaker was excellent quality because is was standard with the elite headsets.
2) The slim speaker was made to fit, and work well, in the stock speaker recess of the Shoei helmet (It seems like Shoei is made for everything Sena)
3) I could have great J&M sound quality without removing helmet material.
4) How hard can it be...it comes with directions!

In the end, after some frustration, I feel that I learned a few things. Also, we are very happy with the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts