GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the earphone portion of the headset, I can't get my helmet( a shoei Z11) on past my ears! I have removed as much material in the ear area as i think i safely can, but the helmet now seems too damn small. Too bad cause they sounded terrific when i listened just putting them up to my ears.
Has anyone else ever had this problem???

Bill

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
You will need to remove as much material as it takes for the earphone portion to sit close but not touching the ears. Take a good look and make sure all the helmet pieces are fitted back together properly before you get too carried away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ran into the same problem when I was installing headphone speakers into my Arai Signet GT helmet. I gave up on the J&M headset speakers
and went with the Koss KTX-Pro1 Headphones. I tried J&Ms and spent over $250 for something that sounds like junk. My Koss headphones only cost $13.49 plus shipping and they sound WAY better than the J&Ms.
When I first installed them in my removable cheek pads, they were so tight I couldn't even get the helmet on at all. After several trial and error sessions I'm close to having it right. I had to remove the fancy mesh/plastic speaker cup and mount the speakers directly to the foam in the removable cheek pads with hot melt glue and it was actually easier to solder the speaker leads directly to the speaker instead of having to try to splice the TINY little headphone wire to the J&M headset wire. Anyway, I'm 95% there on having the speakers comfortable and sounding perfect. I have been messing with the helmet for about a month now and if you don't have the speakers right next to your ears they just don't have the full bass. With the J&Ms I originally had they didn't sound good even if you took your fingers and pressed them to your ears, (boy wouldn't that be a fun way to ride the Goldwing-NO HANDS- just to get good sound). I'm crazy about good sound-eventually I may have to have some custom in-ear heaphones made but they are VERY expensive. BEST WISHES, Don W.

·
Registered
600 Posts
dwitgoldwing said:
I ran into the same problem when I was installing headphone speakers into my Arai Signet GT helmet. I gave up on the J&M headset speakers
and went with the Koss KTX-Pro1 Headphones. I tried J&Ms and spent over $250 for something that sounds like junk. My Koss headphones only cost $13.49 plus shipping and they sound WAY better than the J&Ms.
When I first installed them in my removable cheek pads, they were so tight I couldn't even get the helmet on at all. After several trial and error sessions I'm close to having it right. I had to remove the fancy mesh/plastic speaker cup and mount the speakers directly to the foam in the removable cheek pads with hot melt glue and it was actually easier to solder the speaker leads directly to the speaker instead of having to try to splice the TINY little headphone wire to the J&M headset wire. Anyway, I'm 95% there on having the speakers comfortable and sounding perfect. I have been messing with the helmet for about a month now and if you don't have the speakers right next to your ears they just don't have the full bass. With the J&Ms I originally had they didn't sound good even if you took your fingers and pressed them to your ears, (boy wouldn't that be a fun way to ride the Goldwing-NO HANDS- just to get good sound). I'm crazy about good sound-eventually I may have to have some custom in-ear heaphones made but they are VERY expensive. BEST WISHES, Don W.
Actually, for what you paid for your J&M setup ($250.00), you could have gotten custom earphones made from a couple of places. I just purchased mine from http://plugup.com/ for $235.00 which included the cost of having the molds made by a professional audiologist locally.

:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
jamcgowan said:
dwitgoldwing said:
Actually, for what you paid for your J&M setup ($250.00), you could have gotten custom earphones made from a couple of places. I just purchased mine from http://plugup.com/ for $235.00 which included the cost of having the molds made by a professional audiologist locally.

:D
I have often thought about doing the same with custom earplugs but wondered if they did not cause discomfort after a long period in the ear. Have you noticed this at all?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J&M Heatsets

Before i damage my 600 lid i'm going to send it to J&M for their people to do the installation for $50.00. I was hoping one of their techs would be at the motorcycle show at the Javits Center next week, but unfortunately for me, one won't be there.

Bill

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got my helmet back from J&M. The sound from the elite set up is awesome!
I bought new cheek pads to replace the ones i tore up trying to do the install myself and they installed the head sets behind the cheek pads without cutting them. You can't tell they are installed until you turn on the tunes. Also installed a Kennedy cell set so i can hear the gps (276C) voice prompts through my headset. The instructions were very clear and i learned alot by doing the install myself.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts